Law in effect Dec 2004?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Barney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Kyle in Republic of Texas
I was talking to a CSR in the HD dept (was asking for a friend in Ark what HD channels he would get if getting D*). He said there was a new law that took effect in mid Dec 2004 (this is the 2nd CSR that has told me this) has to do with DMA, HD feeds, etc. Does anyone know what he is talking about?
He also told me that come summer D* will be giving us our local HD feeds instead of the East/West feeds (no matter if O&O or not).

Barney

Congress passed and the President signed the SHVERA(*EDITED* to fix misspell) on December 8th or so(thus when it took effect).

After Directv launches 2 new satellites(Spaceway), sometime mid-year, they will have the space to add the top 30(top to Directv) markets in HD.

The other thing the new SHREVA act added was the ability for people to receive "significantly viewed" local channels, outside their DMA. So, for instance, people in Fairfield cty, CT, who can currently only get NYC local channels, will most like now be able to also get Hartford locals, in addition to their NYC locals.

The problem is, the FCC will take several months to define who will be able to get what. So, until the FCC finishes the list, we are in a holding pattern on this.

Barneypoo69 said:
Is this the SHVIA law (1999?) your refering to?

SHVIA

Barney

Oops misspelled it in my last post. It's SHVERA, not SHREVA :eek:

SHVIA has been replaced by SHVERA.

Did you ask if you could GET the national HD feeds? That is one key provision in the law signed in Dec...the ability for folks w/o OTA HD to get the national HD feeds.

I found this:

SHVERA

I was thinking it was the FCC but its the SATELLITE BROADCASTING AND COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATION.

Guess I have some reading to do now!!

Vermonter, I get all my locals by OTA (except FOX-they are upgrading their tower). I only get FOX-HD & CBS-HD East feeds from D* (only two that are O&O). I was just trying to find out some info for a friend in Ark, he's thinking about D*.

Barney

Barney, There are a couple of threads in the HD Programming forum on this, but it is probably best ot avoid them altogether. There is a lot of rumor and conjecture that quite frankly is based on not enough knowledge.
The biggest issue is that SHREVA is the reautohorization of the SHVIA, which are all part of the Telecommunications Act of 1934. As such, the legislation is merely listing the CHANGES to TA-1934, so it is prone to misinterpretation when taken out of complete context. I am yet to find the full legislation with the changes in place so as to determine what effect it will have. I don't believe the legislators even know fully what the law states.

cbearnm said:
Barney, There are a couple of threads in the HD Programming forum on this, but it is probably best ot avoid them altogether. There is a lot of rumor and conjecture that quite frankly is based on not enough knowledge.
The biggest issue is that SHREVA is the reautohorization of the SHVIA, which are all part of the Telecommunications Act of 1934. As such, the legislation is merely listing the CHANGES to TA-1934, so it is prone to misinterpretation when taken out of complete context. I am yet to find the full legislation with the changes in place so as to determine what effect it will have. I don't believe the legislators even know fully what the law states.

Thanks cbearnm,
Thats what I'm discovering...getting more questions that I can find answers.

HD Waivers?

Vermonter said:
Did you ask if you could GET the national HD feeds? That is one key provision in the law signed in Dec...the ability for folks w/o OTA HD to get the national HD feeds.

I am searching for information on that topic, as well. I just found out my local Fox affiliate has put off beginning OTA HD broadcasts from this month to May (estimate.) If I could get a waiver for just the HD feed and only until the local affiliate goes on line at full power would be great. Do I have a shot if I requested such an arrangement with DirecTV and/or my local Fox affiliate (obviously not an O&O)?

Sorry but I tried that here in the Denver DMA which is an O&O station and the Fox station was NOT issuing any waivers.

I am in the process of getting testing done under the new rules which only apply to the digital signal. Mostly I want to stick our ABC affiliate with the bill since they have made little effort to make their signal available except for downtown Denver.

Hasn't it has been clearly stated that any and all waiver requests and issuance is on hold until the new digital white areas are worked out? I have heard & read this for nearly 2 weeks now.

Well if I have real test data it doesn't matter what the "computed" white areas are. Unless I am mistaken in reading the legal stuff they have no chice but grant waivers if testing proves the signal levels are not there.

Am I missing something that real test data doesn't count?

colofan said:
Well if I have real test data it doesn't matter what the "computed" white areas are. Unless I am mistaken in reading the legal stuff they have no chice but grant waivers if testing proves the signal levels are not there.

Am I missing something that real test data doesn't count?

Everything that was known and true before the new law is now on hold as I heard it.

Thanks for the link on the other board.....

As usual with legislation on technical matters lawmakers don't have a clue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)