Lawsuits, Contracts and More

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sahilm

Original poster
May 13, 2012
New Jersey
We've all heard about the auto-hop lawsuits: Everyone suing everyone.

I know Dish is very aggressive when it comes to signing contracts with providers.

I am thinking about switching to Dish, but I really don't want to be stuck in a situation where I lose a ton of channels due to someone like NBCUniversal (who owns a lot more than just NBC) pulling all contracts with Dish due to lawsuit.

Should I stick with DirecTV or is Dish still safe to go to?

I think you have already answered your own question. Dish has a history of dropping channels. Directv has done it, but very rarely.

That I dont know and honestly couldn't answer. As you have seen ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

Thats part of the fun I guess. :D (And its what keeps this site busy!) :D

That I dont know and honestly couldn't answer. As you have seen ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

Thats part of the fun I guess. :D (And its what keeps this site busy!) :D

I forgot to include this, but what I really care about is my contract implications. Will Dish let me cancel the contract and go back to Directv if this happens?

I forgot to include this, but what I really care about is my contract implications. Will Dish let me cancel the contract and go back to Directv if this happens?

I have heard that line thousands of times being in this business. Remember, all prices, packages and programming are subject to change. In other words they can do whatever they want, change your price, change your package, and your still locked into a contract.

BTW, im not bashing Dish here. Directv, Comcast, AT&T will all tell you the same thing.

sahilm said:

No.

I'm going to say Dish is pushing the point right now with both AMC and the Networks. It's almost like trying to force the FCC to take action about rules for carriage. It can't be denied at this moment especially there is greater chance of program interruption with Dish than Direct TV. Since your question seems sincere, that's my sincere answer.....BUT (there's always a but....) Direct of late seems more prone to not just rollover either, so who knows the future..... Well maybe Zoltar....

IMO, Dish will pull the AMC networks and possibly lose some or all of the big 4 and related networks at some point if things get really nasty. This is a very risky time to get stuck in a 2 year contract with Dish. I'd personally stay put for a while longer if I were you and see how auto hop is going to play out.

We've all heard about the auto-hop lawsuits: Everyone suing everyone.

I know Dish is very aggressive when it comes to signing contracts with providers.

I am thinking about switching to Dish, but I really don't want to be stuck in a situation where I lose a ton of channels due to someone like NBCUniversal (who owns a lot more than just NBC) pulling all contracts with Dish due to lawsuit.

Should I stick with DirecTV or is Dish still safe to go to?

That's why having a VIP receiver with a built in OTA tuner(s) is.......priceless.;):D

IMO, Dish will pull the AMC networks and possibly lose some or all of the big 4 and related networks at some point if things get really nasty. This is a very risky time to get stuck in a 2 year contract with Dish. I'd personally stay put for a while longer if I were you and see how auto hop is going to play out.

If that scenario unfolds, I don't get what Dish's selling point to new customers (or out of contract long-term customers willing to consider going elsewhere) will be, especially in areas where they are already in a dispute with the local regional sports networks. Like "Well, we can't give many of the most popular the OTA stations, sports stations, or entertainment stations that other providers offer, but we've got plenty of channels devoted to 24/7 ads (They really do), and, hey, for sacrificing all that, we might be $5 a month cheaper than Directv or cable, maybe, depending on a bunch of factors.".

Like, if they want to be the "cheapskate" provider that keeps getting in disputes and dropping channels, they've seriously got to *significantly* cut the price their customers pay. Otherwise, eventually, you'll see a mass exodus. Because who would stay with them if they are missing a bunch of channels that appeal to a bunch of different groups that their competitors have for a similar or slightly greater price? You might get people jumping to get a new customer promo and then churning the second their contract expires, but that's about it.

I wonder if Dish really has a long-term business plan with all these disputes and lawsuits and stuff, in terms of what they'll do if they lose a significant amount of programming and popular channels simultaneously.

I'm going to say Dish is pushing the point right now with both AMC and the Networks. It's almost like trying to force the FCC to take action about rules for carriage. It can't be denied at this moment especially there is greater chance of program interruption with Dish than Direct TV. Since your question seems sincere, that's my sincere answer.....BUT (there's always a but....) Direct of late seems more prone to not just rollover either, so who knows the future..... Well maybe Zoltar....

Thanks for the response. It really was a sincere question. I'm a big tech buff (but never really got involved with tech of TV) and I don't really know how most of this works. I really liked what the hopper had to offer, but looks like I'll stay with my current DTV setup while this auto hop stuff plays out. I can't losing out on locals, and USA and others.

Last edited:
More than ever . . . Dish needs to add the OTA tuner option to the Hopper ASAP. They need to sell it real cheap so that when a major network is dropped you can still get it free over the air.

I am thinking before they should sell the USB OTA for $70. But now that most will need it soon when networks drop they should sell it for $30

Low price USB OTA could be why it's only one tuner. All a part of the big picture dish plan . . . They knew they could get into these disputes.

OTA due end of summer may be too late if Fox or NBC cut there programming fromo dish due to this dispute. We may need OTA in July now.

Please. Dish and the channels need each other. All of the big drops have lasted only a matter of a few days because each side had great incentive to come to an agreement (as was the case with DirecTV, Comcast, the infamous Disney vs. TWC, and every MVPD) , however, it is the MVPD's who have more leverage today, I would say. Dish is Dish, and, I for one prefer the lower prices and better value for my needs.

Dish is Dish, and, I for one prefer the lower prices and better value for my needs.

That's really the bottom line. I 100% get those that just want all their channels, no excuses. You can't have exactly that, but close with most other providers. BUT - you will pay for that with higher monthly bills, and/or less HD channels, etc.... Dish has the higher chance of you losing a channel, usually for a short time, but not always. It may not even be a channel you care about, it could be though. I know what comparative programming costs by looking at all my friend's bills with Charter and Direct, and I know I pay less, often with more programming and more in HD. Two have switched to Dish precisely because of this, one wants the NFL package and did not switch.

ScottChez said:
More than ever . . . Dish needs to add the OTA tuner option to the Hopper ASAP. They need to sell it real cheap so that when a major network is dropped you can still get it free over the air.

I am thinking before they should sell the USB OTA for $70. But now that most will need it soon when networks drop they should sell it for $30

Low price USB OTA could be why it's only one tuner. All a part of the big picture dish plan . . . They knew they could get into these disputes.

OTA due end of summer may be too late if Fox or NBC cut there programming fromo dish due to this dispute. We may need OTA in July now.

There are retrans contracts in place. Channels can't be pulled before the end of the contract just because the networks decide they don't like Dish's position with PTAT and the Hopper. If they were to pull them early, they'd be in breach and Liable to Dish for any subsequent losses stemming from the breach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)