Lazy installer: Need info before reschedule

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why cant he use the same mast that Dish* is using? I am assuming Dish also has 2 lines from the dish now? and he has to run just 1 line to a box and re-use the one to the other room? Definitely sounds like you got a lazy tech.. an easy and quick $80+ for him for less than an hours of work as half the job is already done.

Unfortunately D* has no say as to which tech comes out as they use Contract Companies to install for them. They can however note the work order in "Tech Notes" not to send "Bob" back out.

Some of this may be wrong if your getting HD though, which would change the way it would be installed. In which case a new Mast and Mono-Poles would need to be installed and in some cases this footprint cant be easily reached from just a ladder. Many companies will not let a tech off the ladder on roof pitches over 4:12. So based on where it needs to go and teh direction the dish needs to point, the safer option would be a pole mount.
The mast diameter for a Dish Network antenna is 1 5/8ths". Directv uses a 2" OD mast.

and by the way, the installers are told by D not to install the slimline dishes on the roof but when my installer arrived i told him that i wanted the dish on the roof and he did attaching additional support. i understood why they don't like to do this but at the end it's my home. i previously had two dish 500's on the roof. the slimline isn't that much heavier and they do add that extra arm for extra support.
The slimlime dish weighs about 15 lbs. The Dish D-500 about three lbs.
But you are correct, The larger antenna is installed with support struts. I look for pole mount placements first .Not becuase of the money issue. Because of the windload on a large dish. Plus I am looking out for my safety. It's not a lot of fun hoisting that big assed dish 25ft up a ladder. But I do what I must to get the job done.

So let me get this correct, you wan to keep your Dish subscription?
Facts. Dish's standard basic install includes one wall penetration and up to 200' of cable. Directv's basic install includes up to 125' ft of cable.
Wall fishes are payable at time of install.
You can request a company tech. But there is no guarantee.
Ia m wondering if this tech had a ladder which was tall enough to get to the roof of your home. Some of these guys try to get away wiht carrying only 20 or 24 foot ladders. These are not adeqate to get to most two story roofs.
So what happens is the tech will try to talk the customer into a pole mount.
On the Dish side, pole mounts are free of charge provided the run of buried cable is less than 50'.
Based solely on your account, that tech probably didn't want to do the job because it was somewhat difficult for him. So he blew it off. It happens.
Not keeping DISH subscription; at least for the next 2 years. But the DISH is up on the back roof out of sight (where I want the D* dish) so keeping it there ready to light up may do me some good in the future whether I switch back, rent-out, or sale. I also want to keep both subs while I clear my E* dvr.
After some back and forth he was ready to mount it on the roof, but like you said he just didn't want to. And just to finish painting the picture, the tech that mounted the DISH dish didn't have to get off the ladder.

the slimline dish weighs much more than 15lbs, the sidecart weighed 38 and the slimline is only a few pounds less, also 30cents /foot is WAY WAY off. my market allows a charge of 1.00/ft single, 2.00/ft dual. and since we buy our own wire if im running over 125ft im charging you, sorry. Also why would you not let him use the DISH wires, im kinda confused, are you running both companies? and d* uses solid copper as well.

... Also why would you not let him use the DISH wires, im kinda confused, are you running both companies? and d* uses solid copper as well.
I am confused on why you are confused. Did you not read my reason or do you just not agree with it?

Directv doesnt have an inhouse yet though they do own a rsp now. I know with Mastec installation that its common practice for the installer to go the pole mount route for every new install whether theres a line of site from the roof or not or from any other part of the house or another structure. Dish network wont do bucket mounts and they dont want to do roof mounts simply because there have been to many insurance pay outs for roof damage and interior damage caused by water damage and wind damage from improperly installed roof mounts.

Depending on the type of dish you have from Dish network it may be one of about 5 or six diferent dishes and 3 or 4 diferent mast options and I believe its the same with Directv and all of its many phases of ownership and aquisitions over the years.

Not keeping DISH subscription; at least for the next 2 years. But the DISH is up on the back roof out of sight (where I want the D* dish) so keeping it there ready to light up may do me some good in the future whether I switch back, rent-out, or sale. I also want to keep both subs while I clear my E* dvr.
After some back and forth he was ready to mount it on the roof, but like you said he just didn't want to. And just to finish painting the picture, the tech that mounted the DISH dish didn't have to get off the ladder.
If he didn't have to get off the ladder on to a steep roof( few techs will) then there was no reason to not do the job. Now if you wanted the entire houise rewired and that involved wall fishes and over 200' of cable you would them be going beyond a basic install and charges would be incurred. And BTW I once had a customer tell me he was going to supply cable on a big job. 6 tv's and at least three wall fishes. I stopped him in hi stracks when I told him he'd have to pay for the labor which was hi spart of the cost. There was no "offset" to negotiate.
The price was the same whether he supplied the cable (which I was not goingto use anyway) or not.
I have had customers ask me if they could "buy" the cable from me and then I would install it free of charge". That was met with ROTFLMAO....

... I know with Mastec installation that its common practice for the installer to go the pole mount route for every new install whether theres a line of site from the roof or not or from any other part of the house or another structure. .....

Umm.. your info is way off there dude.. The only restriction given to Mastec recently in terms of location restrictions is Fascia Mounts for KA/KU

Thanks,

Maybe it is the Super DISH I am thinking of. If it is the 500 that is 1.66 than it was the phase III & 18" that slide on that mast.

DISH uses copper center because they have to. The others vary as you mentioned.

Superdish did use the same size as a D* Ka/Ku dish. Thing is, we don't use Superdishes anymore except in limited circumstances for certain commercial applications that rent space on 121. We also haven't used solid copper core cable in a couple of years. We use copper coated steel, 3000 MHz swept tested cable. The only thing we use solid copper for is Wild Blue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Another D snafu

On demand question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)