Learned a hard lesson on ESPN

rvvaquero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
SE Texas
So, last week I recorded at least 15 College football bowl games. I had surgery Wednesday, so sat down to watch a lot of football on Friday, Saturday, and today. Everything went smooth, enjoyed college football for the first time in 25 or 30 years.

This morning, I settled in to watch Ohio State play Utah and also Baylor and Ole Miss. What a disaster. I had set the recording, not recognizing that the games were on both ESPN and ESPN2. I recorded them on ESPN2, which was all screwed up. The entire game was on five different screens. One screen showed nothing but game stats, another two screens were devoted to watching the head coaches pace the sidelines. There was one small screen dedicated to the game action. It was like watching a 20" TV in one corner of my 65" Sony TV. And, they didn't show the end of the game. They wanted me to switch to ESPN for the end. What an asinine way to present a football game.

I was so disappointed I just fast forwarded through both games. What a shame, because both games were pretty entertaining, if I had actually watched them.

I guess I better pay better attention in the future when dealing with ESPN.

Rant over.

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell
So, last week I recorded at least 15 College football bowl games. I had surgery Wednesday, so sat down to watch a lot of football on Friday, Saturday, and today. Everything went smooth, enjoyed college football for the first time in 25 or 30 years.

This morning, I settled in to watch Ohio State play Utah and also Baylor and Ole Miss. What a disaster. I had set the recording, not recognizing that the games were on both ESPN and ESPN2. I recorded them on ESPN2, which was all screwed up. The entire game was on five different screens. One screen showed nothing but game stats, another two screens were devoted to watching the head coaches pace the sidelines. There was one small screen dedicated to the game action. It was like watching a 20" TV in one corner of my 65" Sony TV. And, they didn't show the end of the game. They wanted me to switch to ESPN for the end. What an asinine way to present a football game.

I was so disappointed I just fast forwarded through both games. What a shame, because both games were pretty entertaining, if I had actually watched them.

Rant over.
That happens sometimes with me for NASCAR races. I try to monitor the races a little bit from my other Hopper 3 or Joey. If I see weather issues, delays, etc for some reason I will go to the alternate channel they always use and set some timers. PITA but you gotta to do what you gotta do.

Rant over.
You ended up recording the espn alt. channels for the game.
Had you recorded the actual main ESPN, you would have been fine.

My Sister was trying to find the game and found ESPN2 as well and had the same experience as you.
They do that often for Big Games ....
I expect that to be the same for the National Championship game as well, so make sure you record ESPN, not one of thier secondary channels.

Last edited:
Yeah, you gotta love when ESPN switches channels in the middle of a game. It's just one of many reasons I ditched them a couple of years ago. I had recorded a softball playoff game only to find they moved the last inning to another channel. Never did get to see it. It shows a complete lack of understanding their viewers or even caring.

Yeah, you gotta love when ESPN switches channels in the middle of a game. It's just one of many reasons I ditched them a couple of years ago. I had recorded a softball playoff game only to find they moved the last inning to another channel. Never did get to see it. It shows a complete lack of understanding their viewers or even caring.
That doesn't happen very often unless they are moving it to a secondary channel (espn2) because there is a BIGGER game/show on the main channel.
Other networks do this as well.

That happens sometimes with me for NASCAR races. I try to monitor the races a little bit from my other Hopper 3 or Joey. If I see weather issues, delays, etc for some reason I will go to the alternate channel they always use and set some timers. PITA but you gotta to do what you gotta do.
Checking your guide before recording.

Do you have a streaming device? I find in cases like this the ESPN App on my AppleTV uses my Dish account to authorize watching ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN News, etc. (whatever I have with my Dish subscription) Live, and they have replays of the NCAA Bowl games, F1 Races, NCAA Basketball games, etc. available for a week or two after broadcast.

My guess is they had a "bigger" game (college football, men's basketball) scheduled for the timeslot and the softball game went long. So, judgement call, do you switch the minority of viewers to another channel or the majority?

As far as the OP, ESPN had the "normal" telecast for the semi-final games. Between ESPNews, ESPNU, and ESPN2, they had the following:
"Command Center"
"Skycam"
"All22"

Sounds like the OP found the Command Center. My aunt was watching the Skycam feed and was upset they didn't show the field goals. I'm honestly not sure who would watch complete games of the "alternate" feeds, but they've done it before and will probably do so for the National Championship game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts