Lease 1H/1J and then buy 2nd hopper: Would that work for 2h/1j?

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Would this work as a possible solution to get around the rules?

would they activate the second hopper?

dishdepot has the hopper for $349 shipped Dish Receiver | Dish Network Receivers | Dish Depot

Just trying to think outside the box to work around the Dish shenanigans ;)

(Realistically you are already paying $100 in leasing a second hopper from dish)

Edit: see rdinkel's mention below of a slightly higher cost due to the duo node purchase that wouldn't be included in the 1H/1J leased install.

Last edited:
A dirt team member can answer best, but I'm betting they will activate it. I just don't know if they insist on an installer doing the work or not.

Would this work as a possible solution to get around the rules?

would they activate the second hopper?

dishdepot has the hopper for $349 shipped Dish Receiver | Dish Network Receivers | Dish Depot

Just trying to think outside the box to work around the Dish shenanigans ;)

(Realistically you are already paying $100 in leasing a second hopper from dish)

It would probably work, but it would take three years ($250/$7) to break even over just paying the monthly for the second Joey. I would go with 2H/2J and try to return the second Joey at some point in the next three years.

Remember you will need three three lines feeding a Duo Node, instead of two lines feeding a Solo Node. DishDepot also sells Duo Nodes!
oh that's right... nice catch... so that's actually a little more cost, but i guess it would still have decent resale value.

and i guess you would need to keep the solo node to return to dish when the leased receivers are eventually returned to dish.... correct?

It would probably work, but it would take three years ($250/$7) to break even over just paying the monthly for the second hopper. I would go with 2H/2J and try to return the second Joey at some point in the next three years.
i'm assuming there is a decent resale value on the hopper after two or three years.

Do Dish receivers normally drop to zero in terms of resale value on the high end receivers after say three years? (asking for real since i have no clue)

I guess you'd have to have two strategies. If you keep it for a short period of time, then depend on resale value. If you're able to keep it four or five years then you'll definitely get ahead and still own the receiver. Maybe then you could sell it off for less than $100, but that's still money in your pocket.

Last edited:
i'm assuming there is a decent resale value on the hopper after two or three years.

Do Dish receivers normally drop to zero in terms of resale value on the high end receivers after say three years? (asking for real since i have no clue)

They hold up pretty well from what I've seen. Probably depends a lot on what the latest and greatest is at that point.

I guess you'd have to have two strategies. If you keep it for a short period of time like two years, then depend on resale value. If you're able to keep it four or five years then you'll definitely get ahead and still own the receiver. Maybe then you could sell it off for less than $100, but that's still money in your pocket.

It gets a little tricky. Hopefully Dish just relaxes the rules in the next year and it won't be such an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)