Lease fee

JayStil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Is there some convoluted legitimate way that the $7 monthly lease fee is correct for a single receiver? My mother "upgraded" from her owned receiver to a leased 211 when she got a HDTV a couple of years ago. They tried charging her the lease fee the first year. I email the ceo address and they said they'd take care of it. Well the lease fee reappeared on this months statement. I did an online chat and was told that the fee is legitimate and she had been paying it since Jan. I told her that it was supposedly taken care of last year and she replied that there was a code from the executive office that removed the fee for a year. If I expect the fee to be waived again I'd need to have them input another code? Was never told this was going to be a yearly PITA.

Anybody got any ideas how to get rid of the fee for good? Cancel and sign up again? Switch to a Turbo package? I'm open to suggestions.

I think it has to do with the account, meaning when it was set up. I set up my account a long time ago when they used to charge a lease fee and a receiver fee. After I got fed up paying the lease fee, and when they would not give me the receiver I wanted, I changed my account to a "owned equipment account". I bought all my receivers on ebay. Now it is different. They do not charge a lease fee and receiver fee, just a receiver fee. You usually have to pay for an upgrade when you add a receiver. Now days there is no point to owning the equipment, unless its your preference or you need lots of receivers. Aside from fighting this every year, you really only have two choices. 1 is to cancel the account and then set up an account in someone elses name new, or 2 buy a receiver and tell them you want to switch to an owned equipment account. I am assuming you only have 1 receiver, the 211, otherwise this option can get pretty costly. Its pretty crappy just for signing up a while ago for dish network you get stuck with this lease fee. They should credit all the accounts that were set up a while ago for this, as they do not charge a lease fee anymore. Good luck!,

If you upgraded with the Dishn' It Up plan, the contract includes a $7/mo. fee for an HD receiver ($5/mo. for SD). This applies to the primary receiver as well. It took me a bit to figure this out this past February.

Why does DISH Network charge a receiver lease fee for my Standard or High Definition receiver?

The receiver lease fee for the first activated receiver on your account is included in your programming package price when you subscribe to qualified programming. An additional receiver lease fee of $5.00 per month for a standard definition receiver (Solo, Duo, Solo DVR, and DuoDVR), or $7.00 per month for a high definition receiver (HD Solo, HD Duo, HD Solo DVR, or HD DuoDVR) will be charged to your account for each receiver activated beyond the first.

DISH Network - FAQ - Fees

If you upgraded with the Dishn' It Up plan, the contract includes a $7/mo. fee for an HD receiver ($5/mo. for SD). This applies to the primary receiver as well. It took me a bit to figure this out this past February.

That may be, but I Dished it Up to a 722 last year. I also have 2 508 receivers active, which I guess they consider leased since they were a swap for my owned 7100's. I pay $5.00 each on the 508's and no lease fee on the 722.

Why does DISH Network charge a receiver lease fee for my Standard or High Definition receiver?

The receiver lease fee for the first activated receiver on your account is included in your programming package price when you subscribe to qualified programming. An additional receiver lease fee of $5.00 per month for a standard definition receiver (Solo, Duo, Solo DVR, and DuoDVR), or $7.00 per month for a high definition receiver (HD Solo, HD Duo, HD Solo DVR, or HD DuoDVR) will be charged to your account for each receiver activated beyond the first.

DISH Network - FAQ - Fees

Exactly. Similar wording is also on the statement. When I pointed that out to the chat CSR, she replied "I know it seems confusing, but only executive services can remove that fee for you". :confused:

It reminds me of the 7100 DVR fee back in the day. Some were being charged it, others got it included. No rhyme nor reason as to why.

I can't blame my Mom for being miffed. She's been with DISH since almost the beginning - her original receiver cost her around $1000 IIRC. It did include the first year of "Top 40" programming. She's about ready to cancel HD, return the 211, and reactivate her 3000 (which I think is no longer possible?)

I did a DIP with a 722 and pay no lease fee. Here's the DIU terms from the Dish site. There is no mention of a fee even for the primary receiver. In fact it expressly says the rental fee applies for the second and additional receivers only:

Terms and Conditions

Offers and pricing subject to change at any time and based on customer eligibility With DISH'n It Up you are required to maintain qualified basic programming for 24 months or a pro-rated cancel fee of $12.50 per month for each month remaining in the agreement period.
Limit of 2 receivers or 4 tuners per transaction. Limit 4 leased tuners per account. Maximum of one DISH'n It Up upgrade transaction per 12-month period. Monthly equipment rental fee of $7.00 for HD receivers will apply for each receiver activated beyond the first. Monthly DVR Service Fee of $5.98 applies for all DVR receivers. 2-TV receivers must be continuously connected to a land-based phone line to waive the $5.00 monthly TV Receiver Connection fee. If a new dish is necessary when upgrading to HD programming, standard professional installation may be required. Monthly subscription to DishHD programming is required for HD receivers or a monthly $5.00 HD Enabling fee applies. Please call for details.https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customercare/equipment/processEquipmentUpgrades.do

Sorry no you still have not figured it out. There is no fee for the primary receiver only the 2nd, third and so on.

I had this one happen when I updated my Grandpa to an HD receiver. I was told numerous times by the CSR's that there were no receiver fee's and that they would not be in the contract. Well a month later we get the first bill under the new setup and surprise...there are all kinds of fees that were not suposed to be there. I called dish and they said that they "accidentally" forgot to apply the credits to his account. But I did argue with them enough and made them really look at the call log's from my past conversations with the CSR's about the lease fee and the CSR I talked to waived the fee for 4 months!

There is no lease fee for your first receiver, it is included in your package when you have at least the smallest package. they also will not charge you a second receiver fee when you have a dual tuner receiver if it is hooked up to a phone line. If they are charging you a lease fee and you only have 1 receiver and you have a minimum of dishfamily then there is a mistake and i would call and get a hold of someone higher up than the first csr you get a hold of

Is there some convoluted legitimate way that the $7 monthly lease fee is correct for a single receiver? My mother "upgraded" from her owned receiver to a leased 211 when she got a HDTV a couple of years ago. They tried charging her the lease fee the first year. I email the ceo address and they said they'd take care of it. Well the lease fee reappeared on this months statement. I did an online chat and was told that the fee is legitimate and she had been paying it since Jan. I told her that it was supposedly taken care of last year and she replied that there was a code from the executive office that removed the fee for a year. If I expect the fee to be waived again I'd need to have them input another code? Was never told this was going to be a yearly PITA.

Anybody got any ideas how to get rid of the fee for good? Cancel and sign up again? Switch to a Turbo package? I'm open to suggestions.

I'm in the same boat, have one 622 on the acct, had been paying the lease fee each month since July 2006, talked to csr's several times to try and get it removed, no luck there. Sent an email to the ceo address about 3 months ago, their solution was to do an upgrade to another receiver. Money is real tight so I opted to "upgrade" (at no cost) to another 622, yeah, I had to send a perfectly good 622 back so I could get another 622. In hindsight, I probably should have spent the $75 to get a 722.... The catch is, the removal of the lease fee is for one year, and after the year I'll hafta contact the ceo address again to get it taken off. I can live with that, maybe in a year things will be different, I'll see how things are at that time. I'm not under contract and I didn't have to agree to another contract.
My first impression was, "geez, why should Dish go the the expense/trouble of paying the freight to send me another 622, pay for sending my perfectly good 622 back to them" Then I figgered out (IMO) that I was under a binding contract that (at the time I got the 622) there would be a lease fee for this receiver, even though it was the only rec on the acct. (People have trouble understanding that, it's not what the CURRENT terms and conditions are, it's what you agreed to at the time you got your receiver/equipment. And yes, terms and conditions do change:D, which is a good deal for cust who got their rec at a later date because they had no lease fee for the first rec.) I agree, it is a pita to have to do it this way, but saving $90 (with tax) a year was worth the time/trouble to do it. I've got the hd package + locals + dvr fee (wow, I've forgotten the name of the $29.99 pack:eureka), I'm not gonna get that much bang for my money anywhere else, so I wouldn't even consider trying to sign up under the wife's name/ss #, in order to "permanently" get rid of the lease fee.

I thought it was system wide that after Feb 1 your primary receiver lease fee was waived.

Check your account, maybe your primary is owned?

Here I am again Laddyboy.

What happens if the 722 is initially connected to a phone line, and later the phone line is disconnected since we plan to use only cell phones in the future?

no fee

I think that the 1st 722 ( or any other dual tuner DVR )does not have to be connected to the phone line. The fee is waved if you'r in the DDA ( Digital DVR Advantage) program. Only a Second 722 ( or any other dual tuner receiver) would need a connection to avoid the $5.00 fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)