Lease Program Information (Cat Fight Version):

Status
Please reply by conversation.
scotsmanron said:
But, as Vurbano correctly pointed out, it has gone the other way!!! It has gone up now, AFTER going down. What other electronics have done that? I can't think of a thing AND you don't own it.

Great, they price goes up for something you don't own. Something is wrong with this picture.

No matter what the apologists say.

how did the price go up??? he saw ONE on e-bay for 350 and how does anyone even know if the rebate would be honored?

scotsmanron said:
And round and round we go. If you don't own it the price went up.
You can still buy a new HR10 to own at Weaknees, Crutchfield and Best Buy (online only) for less than $500.

dragon002 said:
how did the price go up??? he saw ONE on e-bay for 350 and how does anyone even know if the rebate would be honored?
ALL new in the box, unopened equipment was honored. D* made no stipulation on the rebate form that I know of. And they are still selling for under 400 dollars NEW on ebay. But I question whether or not you really own it.

I also suggest you go search ebay. There are a ton of them under 400 Dollars not ONE. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
hiker said:
You can still buy a new HR10 to own at Weaknees, Crutchfield and Best Buy (online only) for less than $500.

I don't know about the other two, but I think if you read the fine print at BB, you are not buying anything, but in fact, leasing. Also I will say this again. I think D* has made the price somehwat un-market friendly so that subs will stop trying to get this thing, while D* catches their breathe, so to speak.

lovswr said:
I don't know about the other two, but I think if you read the fine print at BB, you are not buying anything, but in fact, leasing. Also I will say this again. I think D* has made the price somehwat un-market friendly so that subs will stop trying to get this thing, while D* catches their breathe, so to speak.
You can buy to own at BB online only if you are an existing D* subscriber. New D* subscribers have to lease at BB. Try it if you don't believe.
Crutchfield and Weaknees have the buy to own for everyone. Also newegg SELLS the HR10-250 for $409.

Last edited:
scotsmanron said:
And how are you going to convince D* in was a buy instead of a lease?
There should be no problem. Others have reported doing it with no problem. I read on another board where someone tried to activate a used HR10 as leased and D* refused and made it owned.

Then that leads to another question. How does that keep this scenario from happening:

I get my best friend to got to BB to get the HD250. Obviously my name isn't on it anywhere at all. I give him the money, "buying" it from him. I call D* saying I bought this one "used", "second hand", whatever. I now own, when I would have been leasing.

How do they prevent this? Why wouldn't it work?

scotsmanron said:
Then that leads to another question. How does that keep this scenario from happening:

I get my best friend to got to BB to get the HD250. Obviously my name isn't on it anywhere at all. I give him the money, "buying" it from him. I call D* saying I bought this one "used", "second hand", whatever. I now own, when I would have been leasing.

How do they prevent this? Why wouldn't it work?

they would know the access card was never activated.

they wont activate the card under the own program, it was never activated under that program, how could it be used?

I understand. But humor me. I'm not the one that bought it from the dealer. I tell D* I bought it from someone else, how are they going to tell me I have to be a lease.

I'm not going to do this but I don't see how they could stop this from happening unless they just tell people they will never activate a reciever as owned, unless it was a lease first.

first off the card is not in your name.

you would need a new card.

they will send you one , then activate under the lease.

the cards are NEVER yours and they will activate new ones at their discression. and under their terms.

So, even "buying" a machine, they can force you to lease it. That was what I suspected. My whole point of this discussion was to point out that the consumer is screwed. You can't be sure even if you are buying from a reputable dealer that states that it is a BUY, that D* will let you own it!!!

scotsmanron said:
I understand. But humor me. I'm not the one that bought it from the dealer. I tell D* I bought it from someone else, how are they going to tell me I have to be a lease.

I'm not going to do this but I don't see how they could stop this from happening unless they just tell people they will never activate a reciever as owned, unless it was a lease first.

True, you didn't agree to the lease... and you didn't use your account to get the receiver.

Well, what acctually happens here... is your friend gets hit up with a non-activation fee (up to $300) since he agreed to activate that receiver within 30 days, during which time you have to wait for the fee to be applied to his account before you can even get a new card. Then he gets hit up with an equipment non-return fee since he did not return a receiver to D* that he agreed to lease. Then the equipment gets turned to used, you purchase a new access card and can activate it as a used receiver.

so maybe its best to buy a used reciever and purchase a new card. But I thought dragon said D* would put you on a lease with a new card? Or is it just a programming lease? with no equipment penalties?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)