Lease Program Information (Cat Fight Version):

Status
Please reply by conversation.
dragon002 said:
this freakin lease program is a bad replay of Abbott and Costellos "whos on first"
They need to add into the price the extra 150 bucks the D* installer is going to charge to run another line for the DVR :rolleyes:

I wrote to DTV and asked specifically what if I bought from valueelectronics and ebay
----
2 questions

1. if I buy an HDtivo from www.valueelectronics.com, will that be a lease or a ownership of the unit.

2. how about if I buy from Ebay.com?
------------

Dear Mr. ,

Thanks for writing. If you will purchase a receiver from ypour local electrnics retailer, upon activation it will be tagged as an owned equipment.

You continue to own your current DIRECTV equipment and any Additional Receiver Fees you pay to mirror your monthly programming to all your TV’s will still apply. Please check our web site DIRECTV.com for complete details about this exciting new program.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Service

----
That's enough for me to spend X dollars to own one from a 'local' dealer as she said in the email. I feel that I have relied on her in writing and that my new tivo would be owned.

newsposter said:
I wrote to DTV and asked specifically what if I bought from valueelectronics and ebay
----
2 questions

1. if I buy an HDtivo from www.valueelectronics.com, will that be a lease or a ownership of the unit.

2. how about if I buy from Ebay.com?
------------

Dear Mr. ,

Thanks for writing. If you will purchase a receiver from ypour local electrnics retailer, upon activation it will be tagged as an owned equipment.

You continue to own your current DIRECTV equipment and any Additional Receiver Fees you pay to mirror your monthly programming to all your TV’s will still apply. Please check our web site DIRECTV.com for complete details about this exciting new program.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Service

----
That's enough for me to spend X dollars to own one from a 'local' dealer as she said in the email. I feel that I have relied on her in writing and that my new tivo would be owned.

She doesnt address all of the questions. Retailers are on ebay. She says nothing of ebay.

I have someone over at avsforums trying to tell me if you call Directv and ask, they will sell you equipment, he claims he has many friends that work there that are his source for this information. Anyone hear anything to back these claims up? I think he's smoking something personally...

Yes they will. I called this weekend when my SD DVR died. They wanted to sell me an HD DVR for over $700. When I heard the first digit I tuned out.

end of story:

Prior to buying $398 newegg HDtivo, i emailed directv and asked if it would be owned or leased. They said owned, in writing. Called tonight to activate it (via my superspecial toll free number of course). the dude asked how much I paid. I said what difference does that make? I guess I could have lied and said 800 since he told me I needed to pay that much for an owned receiver and if it was only 400 then it's leased.

But instead I reiterated that I emailed 2 online retailers AND DTV and they all said owned. He then transferred me to (I assume) the access card dept, since that's what i said he should do. Then she started in with the lease etc and I had to retell the story again. As soon as she heard the word ONLINE purchase, she changed her tone immediately and said she'd change it to owned right away and thanked me for being 'the best customer' and she was glad she could help me.

So the key word appears to be 'online.' Good luck everyone and make sure you write down days/times you call and who you talked to.

geez online statement now says lease...gotta email i guess

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Yup they make 500 bucks everytime they lease it. If you had their comment about how they think HD customers are "desperate" and will pay 30 dollars to watch an HD movie then I think you'd understand where they are coming from. They feel they have a group of suckers and they want to milk as much money as they can out of them.

actually they dont release used equipment unless its as a replacement. New Customers get new equipment each time

vurbano said:
I sure wish someone would get the facts on that. Everything Ive heard says no more owning only leasing.

D* is allowing owned equipment at a much larger price. but not something they just let customers know unless its asked.

VagiDirecTV said:
D* is allowing owned equipment at a much larger price. but not something they just let customers know unless its asked.

they also dont tell people you can buy from online retailers at the lease price and it's owned

If I purchase an HR10-250 from Newegg.com for the $406 [$398 + $8 shipping] and activate it - when the Mpeg4 DVR comes out will they swap it out? :what

LarryInAz said:
If I purchase an HR10-250 from Newegg.com for the $406 [$398 + $8 shipping] and activate it - when the Mpeg4 DVR comes out will they swap it out? :what

no one knows for sure. I've heard anything from 99 bucks on up.

If i was in directvs spot, i wouldn't reward you for owning instead of leasing. I'd imagine they have to charge owners more than leasers plus dont forget, they may want the box.

Why is it a lease for the receivers when you are "given" the dish and wiring? because it would be too expensive for D to fix your dish and wiring, replacing your leased reciever still costs d&h and then you have a chance of getting a refurbished unit that has not actually been refurbished and will not be better or newer than the one you had. ask A d rep about this they have no good expalantion for this, ie the dish and wiring you are given, not leased, i guess you can lease the dish and wiring also if you pay 5.99 a month for the protection plan which is the new cost if you are paying more @ 7.99.hush hush a little bird told me, kind of deceptive in my opinion, they have always discounted the equipment says it costs 149 $ for a standard rcvr and 349 for advanced and much more for hddvr ,499 for a rented piece of equipment, can you say the wealthy are paving the road for development, beware of any new dtv technology, ask almost anyone with an r-15 for their opinion, they should have stuck with tivo, d should never do software updates on any recivers as they never check to see if it will cause others to fail, as it has with many of the d10's , repaeted black screens, failed software updates, green screens etc, and phillips ,turning on and off by themselves repeatedly and older rca, two digit entry only anyone?
this is heinous in my opinion having software killing my parents recievers and then refusing to replace them w/o a charge is almost criminal. Finding a knowledgable rep at D is fruitless most of the time.
rant off

LonghornXP said:
This thread is for the lease program cat fights. Express any and all issues you may have with the new DirecTV lease program.

I love the way they are going to take the dish I paid about two hundred for two years ago with them. What gives them that right? I paid for it so I should be able to keep it. I don't know what I would use it for but it might make a hell of a dip platter.
:D

igator99 said:
I love the way they are going to take the dish I paid about two hundred for two years ago with them. What gives them that right? I paid for it so I should be able to keep it. I don't know what I would use it for but it might make a hell of a dip platter.
:D

I just had my 3 lnb dish replaced with the AT9. The first csr I spoke with was going to charge me $49+ for it. When I called back, the second csr gave me the new dish for free. The tech that did the install never even mentioned taking the old dish with him.

Lease not always bad

I just got a high def LCD Monitor recently and was scheduled to have DTV come out and install the New AT-9 dish and bring out an H20 HD reciever. When talking with DTV they agreed to give me the dish and receiver for free along with installation. They only charged me a handling charge of $20.00.

This is one of those times where I think a lease would work. I paid nothing for the reciever, which is good. DTV remains the owner and will replace it if it ever should die. No need to pay extra to insure the equipment.

The installer would not do my install because my Phase 3 dish is mounted on a custom pole I had bent at the local muffler shop. The only place they could find for the AT-0 was at the bottom of my roof but because of height issues with the pole that comes with the dish they wouldn't do the install.

I told them I would take care of it with DTV and sent them on their way; they were way late as well.

I called Retention and explained what happened and they gave me a $20.00 credit for the installer coming so late. They also agreed to credit me back for the reciever and the Dish if I wnet out and bought them and do the install.

As of today I have the reciever hooked up and the dish was just delivered. As soon as this rain goes away I'll be all set for installing the dish.

short speil, if you ask DTV will credit some people back for the equipment cost so it costs you zero to lease a receiver which is what I think it should be.

Frankyboy4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)