Lease ver. Own VIP622

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Have read alot about people waiting for a own it deal. Also Have read threads about 18 mounth comitments and so on. But I have to say, why own? If you lease the receiver, is 299.00. You will get 200 back if you ever cancel, after 18 months. If something goes wrong with the Hard drive and it will at somepoint. it's not yours, pay 14.95 for shipping and get it fixed or replaced. I have read I don't want to be locked it for 18 mounths. Oh I see, Pay about 600 to 900 dollars to cancel and have a receiver you can't even use for OTA. If you wait 18 months and cancel and you own it same thing the box is worthless to you. Maybe sell it, if it's still worth what you paid. What are the main reasons someone would REALLY want to own the receiver. Just wanted to know. Thanks Budda

budda said:
Have read alot about people waiting for a own it deal. Also Have read threads about 18 mounth comitments and so on. But I have to say, why own? If you lease the receiver, is 299.00. You will get 200 back if you ever cancel, after 18 months. If something goes wrong with the Hard drive and it will at somepoint. it's not yours, pay 14.95 for shipping and get it fixed or replaced. I have read I don't want to be locked it for 18 mounths. Oh I see, Pay about 600 to 900 dollars to cancel and have a receiver you can't even use for OTA. If you wait 18 months and cancel and you own it same thing the box is worthless to you. Maybe sell it, if it's still worth what you paid. What are the main reasons someone would REALLY want to own the receiver. Just wanted to know. Thanks Budda

Under DIU you will not get $200 back if you cancel before or after 18 months, that $299 you pay up-front is gone. You will pay $6 a month lease fee as long as you have it, even if it is your only receiver, and you have no guarantee that dish will not raise that fee. Here is why I will buy. The 622 will be my only receiver.

After 4 years:

Lease:
$299 up-front.
$6 month fee X 48 = $288

Total expense = $ 587

Buy:
Total expense = $649

At the end of 4 years I only need to get $62 out of the receiver to match the lease deal. History has shown that the receiver will probably be worth considerably more than that. As a bonus I have no commitment or package requirement.

As far a problem with the receiver, I have the $1.99 a month protection plan. Covers all my Dish equipment.

NightRyder

Last edited:
If it breaks and it's leased they fix it.
It's only 18 mos @ $6 per.
If something new and improved comes along you can trade up after 18 mos (maybe before?)

After the technology is a bit older and proven, I would buy, but it's too new right now and there have been to many Hdrive failures etc. As far as increasing the price, I'm thinking that I have a contract that says how much I'll pay for the next 18 mos.
It was either DTV or Dish that tried to change the terms of "the contract" once before and got nailed with a class action suit. I bet they don't try that again

I also wanted to own at first but after listening for a while here, I decided leasing offered better protection

The lease fee does not cover or include DHPP. After a warranty period, you'll have to pay for repairs if you don't have DHPP.

Greg Mueller said:
If it breaks and it's leased they fix it.
It's only 18 mos @ $6 per.
If something new and improved comes along you can trade up after 18 mos (maybe before?)

After the technology is a bit older and proven, I would buy, but it's too new right now and there have been to many Hdrive failures etc. As far as increasing the price, I'm thinking that I have a contract that says how much I'll pay for the next 18 mos.
It was either DTV or Dish that tried to change the terms of "the contract" once before and got nailed with a class action suit. I bet they don't try that again

I also wanted to own at first but after listening for a while here, I decided leasing offered better protection

The ONLY thing that ends at 18 months is the commitment. The $6 continues as long as you keep the receiver.

I guarantee you Dish can change the fee. The following is from the lease agreement.

WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE PRICES, PACKAGES, AND PROGRAMMING AT ANY TIME, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DURING ANY TERM AGREEMENT PERIOD TO WHICH YOU HAVE AGREED.

That pretty much says it all.

Each to their own, but there is no way I'm going to give Dish over 40% of the purchase price and commit to 18 months just for the privilege of leasing a 622.

NightRyder

There are reasons to do both, depending on your situation...I am going to do both...since I want two 622's, so we'll see how it works out for me in a couple of years!

Tim

300.00 up front
360.00 20.00 X 18 month commitment minimum program cost
108.00 6.00 X 18 month lease fee
---------------------------------------------
768.00 Total
vs.
600.00 Purcahse price from ebay
108.00 6.00 X 18 month lease fee
-------------------------------------

But since you own it you can sale it at any time and recop anywhere from 400-600dollars.

Bottom line buying take more money out of pocket up front but in the end it usually cost less as you can come and go as you with no commitemt and you get to resale the hardware and recope a very good % of the out of pocket cost.

I think it was DTV that I was subscribed to.....
I was 4 mos in to a 12 mo contract when they pulled a "we're going to change the package and you don't get that (included) movie pack, you signed up for" routine. I called and argued with them and told them then that "this is the stuff class action law suits are made of". They had moved something like encore out of my package and wanted to charge $4+ a month more for it. They argued that clause in the contract (WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE PRICES, PACKAGES blah blah blah) . Finally they agreed to give me a credit on my account which equalled the remaining 8 mos of the contract. So I kept the package and they subtracted the $4+ per mo from the credit.

Later I was contacted regarding a class action law suit over just that thing. Apparently a lot of other people felt the way I did.

A contract is a contract. It not only protects them, but it protects you too

NightRyder said:
The ONLY thing that ends at 18 months is the commitment. The $6 continues as long as you keep the receiver.

What 6 dollars? I just went through the Dishbuilder setup, and the only monthly charge besides programming was the DVR fee. If there's a second receiver, it is subject to the extra reciever fee, but nothing else.

Dish definitely wants you to lease. They make more profit that way. This is why they are heavily promoting the lease deal and you see virtually nothing about the purchase deal.

Look at the 18 month scenario.

Lease: Pay $299 upfront, $108 in lease fees, for a total of $407. And you own nothing. If you drop Dish, you send it back. Then they can make sure it is good shape and lease it out to someone else, charging whatever the going rate is at that time for another upfront fee.

Purchase: Pay $649, nothing over 18 months. Sell for $450-$500. Out $150-$200.

Now since I'm in the midst of a 942 lease & have 8 months of commitment left, and have the $99 622 lease option. I'll probably go that way. For my situation it's a better deal over the next 18-24 months than a purchase.

Last edited:
in february i sold my 921 on ebay for $315, bought a 622 on ebay for 644 (shipping included and it arrived in less than a week at a time when people were having to wait a whole month to get their receiver). so i'm only out $329 for this receiver so far and if i decide to sell it tomorrow i can. not to mention no monthly lease fees. i don't lease receivers for the same reason i don't lease cars -- it makes no economic sense.

I went the upgrade path as paying the $299 also included the install of D1000 and a DPP 44 switch. If I had sent them back my 942 (which I own), I would have gotten the $200 rebate. I could sell the unit on ebay for more, so I have kept it.

I would put my upgrade to the 622 at around $900 or so if I had purchased all the pieces separately. So leasing makes sense for me and is the first time since I signed up in '98 that I didn't purchase/install myself.

Now if I could only get the 622 to work as rock solid as my 942, I'd be a very happy camper.

Jeff_R said:
What 6 dollars? I just went through the Dishbuilder setup, and the only monthly charge besides programming was the DVR fee. If there's a second receiver, it is subject to the extra reciever fee, but nothing else.

Dishbuilder is for new customers.

If you are a current customer, upgrade to the 622, and it is your only receiver, you will have to pay the $6 lease fee.

Important:
One more time. Dish lease programs: Dish'in-It-up (Current Upgrade Program) and Dish Home Advantage (New Customer Program) do not have the same rules.

NightRyder

Greg Mueller said:
A contract is a contract. It not only protects them, but it protects you too

How can "a contract be a contract" if either party can selectively ignore part the language included? :what

If this was a class action suit, I'll bet D* settled it for nuisance value and admitted no wrong doing. If it had been E* on the other end, the most you would have gotten is a couple free PPV coupons 5 years later.

NightRyder

In my case I bought my 622. I figured it would be cheaper in the long run. I sold my 921 for $244:

$649 - $244 = $405

$405 -1 year lease fee -$72 = $333, lease cost: $99
$405 -2 year lease fee -$144 = $261, lease cost $99
$405 -3 year lease fee -$216 = $189, lease cost $99
$405 -4 year lease fee -$288 = $117, lease cost $99

It will take about 4 years to come out ahead on the buying deal if the 622 has no after market value. Given past Dish receiver values I am pretty confident that the 622 will hold market value on ebay for the next 4 years to cover me if I cancel service.

DISH Network is screwing us all

Here is my problem

I bought a 921 for $549 two years ago. When I got it and hook it up I noticed I did not get locals in HD. I called dish and asked why I do not get them they said that they are not available yet. Dish is working on deals with the broadcast companies to get them. When they are available since I already pay for locals and have a HD box I will be able to get them.

So I decided to keep the 921. (Big mistake) I had so many problems
with the 921 dish said they would trade me the 921 for a 942 for $99 so I said ok.

Six months after I got the 942 dish network finally comes out with HD locals but you need a 622 to receive them. They say they have a promo to upgrade.
I pay $299 they will send me a 622 and if I send my 942 to them they will give me back $200 that’s not too bad to, but here is the kicker I would not own the 622 but would be leasing it.

The Math
$549 (921)
+$99 (to get 942)
=$648 (I own the box)
+$299 (to get 622)
-$200 (refund for sending the 942 back)
=$747 total (And now I do not own the box anymore)

(This is to be able to get locals in HD that
I was told I would be able to get on the 921)

There is no way I would let them rip me off and I do not know why anyone does

Protection Plan

NightRyder said:
Under DIU you will not get $200 back if you cancel before or after 18 months, that $299 you pay up-front is gone. You will pay $6 a month lease fee as long as you have it, even if it is your only receiver, and you have no guarantee that dish will not raise that fee. Here is why I will buy. The 622 will be my only receiver.

After 4 years:

Lease:
$299 up-front.
$6 month fee X 48 = $288

Total expense = $ 587

Buy:
Total expense = $649

At the end of 4 years I only need to get $62 out of the receiver to match the lease deal. History has shown that the receiver will probably be worth considerably more than that. As a bonus I have no commitment or package requirement.

As far a problem with the receiver, I have the $1.99 a month protection plan. Covers all my Dish equipment.

NightRyder

What is the $1.99 Protection Plan. I have to pay $5.99

NightRyder,
Your math for lease versus owned is flawed. It is a $6.00 lease fee or a $5.00 second receiver fee. That's a $1.00 delta. If it's the only receiver then it's included in the package. In that case the return on investment is much longer for ownership unless you decide to sell it. Then it's the difference between the number of months you leased it or the selling price.

Seadoo said:
What is the $1.99 Protection Plan. I have to pay $5.99

Same as the $5.99 plan less the discounted $25 service call.

It's discontinued but grandfathered for those that had it.

NightRyder

mb1058 said:
NightRyder,
Your math for lease versus owned is flawed. It is a $6.00 lease fee or a $5.00 second receiver fee. That's a $1.00 delta. If it's the only receiver then it's included in the package.

One last time then I give up..................

DISH CHANGED THE RULES UNDER D.I.U.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/faq/search/fees/

Why does DISH Network charge a $5 leased receiver fee under the DISH’n It Up promotion?

DISH Network charges this fee for each receiver leased through the Existing Customer DISH’n It Up promotion. This fee helps cover the costs associated with broadcasting programming to you through the additional receiver.

Why does DISH Network charge an equipment rental fee under the Digital Home Advantage promotion?

A $5.00 equipment rental fee for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price. An additional equipment rental fee of $5.00 per month will be charged to your account for each receiver activated beyond the first.

Yes, if you have another receiver either owned or leased through DHA, you should be able to make it your primary and only be out $1 extra a month, but if your only receiver is leased through the DIU promotion you get dinged with the $6 monthly fee.

NightRyder

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts