Leased Receiver Routine Maintenance OK?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BBCInc

On the dry and dusty road
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Colorado
Since the average receiver is in use for years, I'm wondering what the Dish position is on a regular maintenance item like removing internal dust. I've always done it every 6 months or so to my other continuously in service electronic items but never remember reading anything on this forum about extending the practice to leased receivers.

Also, hard drive failures seem to be the most common failure mode for receivers. Is it permissible, if one has the technical ability and hard drive failure seems likely, to do a user replacement before resorting to a service swap?

If I remember correctly, if you open the case on the receiver, you void your customer agreement and will be charged full price when returned.

I have yet to see a seal on the lid itself. On DVRs, there is definitely a seal on the frame supporting the disk and fan.

BBCInc said:
Since the average receiver is in use for years, I'm wondering what the Dish position is on a regular maintenance item like removing internal dust. I've always done it every 6 months or so to my other continuously in service electronic items but never remember reading anything on this forum about extending the practice to leased receivers.

Also, hard drive failures seem to be the most common failure mode for receivers. Is it permissible, if one has the technical ability and hard drive failure seems likely, to do a user replacement before resorting to a service swap?

Based on what I have read on this forum obtaining the correct drive that will work internally is difficult at best. So it's not quite as simple as swapping out a drive in a PC.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

R0ss said:
Based on what I have read on this forum obtaining the correct drive that will work internally is difficult at best. So it's not quite as simple as swapping out a drive in a PC.
And of course there is the warranty issue and the potential of having to pay for the receiver.
Ross

Ross

Blowing the dust out every six months is a good thing. As an installer, i wish more people would do it. But why in the world would you want to replace a hard drive in leased equipment? If the hard drive is bad, let E* send you a new receiver or send a tech to replace the receiver.

My experience with Dish refurbs has been spotty enough to prefer keeping the one that has worked perfectly up 'til that time if possibly only the HD has gone bad. Having built and repaired computers professionally for years and years, I can handle buying a proper replacement and doing a receiver HD swap.

Slamminc11: seems like a recipe for failure, something Dish would likely want to avoid for cost reasons alone. Can anyone quote verbatim from the CA?

I too am technically savvy and probably know more about the inner workings of the receivers than those that Dish hired to refurbish them. However I don't believe that it is worth the hassle/expense to repair my leased receivers myself. No way am I going to give Dish any excuse to charge me $400.

If I want to mess with computer parts, I'll just open up my self-built computer, or one of my clients' computers that I have repaired/upgraded/built/replaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)