~~~Leased vs. owned receivers~~~~

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pickle3808

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Ok there is too much confusion on this topic for me.

If I were to buy an HR24 off ebay, for instance, and add it to my current configuration, would I have to sign a new 2-yr contract? I keep seeing things on the web saying any new receivers require a new 2 year lease agreement? I guess what I'm curious about is that if I bought it off ebay, I OWN it... I'm not leasing it.

Sooo... anyone know the answer? Not like I'm getting rid of DirecTV anytime soon but it's nice to not be locked into something if I don't need to be. Also, this would be an additional box, not replacing another one.

Is there anything else I should know before buying a box off ebay? I see some people asking sellers for the RID to make sure the box isn't under contract?

Thanks for the help!

Ok there is too much confusion on this topic for me.

If I were to buy an HR24 off ebay, for instance, and add it to my current configuration, would I have to sign a new 2-yr contract? I keep seeing things on the web saying any new receivers require a new 2 year lease agreement? I guess what I'm curious about is that if I bought it off ebay, I OWN it... I'm not leasing it.

Sooo... anyone know the answer? Not like I'm getting rid of DirecTV anytime soon but it's nice to not be locked into something if I don't need to be. Also, this would be an additional box, not replacing another one.

Is there anything else I should know before buying a box off ebay? I see some people asking sellers for the RID to make sure the box isn't under contract?

Thanks for the help!

Finding an owned receiver is going to he tough. If its a leased receiver you buy you'll be required to send it back to directv. Adding an owned box won't add a 2 year commitment but finding one will be work and you'll pay a price for that "owned" title vs a leased. You'll need the RID# like you've already mentioned and call directv AC dept and ask them to check. If its leased, RUN. You'll more than likely be out the money plus shipping to send it back.

Even if the eBay ad says the box is "owned", don't believe it. The incidence of owned boxes that can be successfully transferred to a different account is pretty low.

Check with the Access Card department at least once as Hutch1814 recommends; you have little recourse if it doesn't work out the way you hoped and you could end up with stolen property.

Even if the eBay ad says the box is "owned", don't believe it. The incidence of owned boxes that can be successfully transferred to a different account is pretty low.

Check with the Access Card department at least once as Hutch1814 recommends; you have little recourse if it doesn't work out the way you hoped and you could end up with stolen property.

I wouldnt say its quite that bad getting a box, they do exist, you just need to report the rid number to access card control. They will let you know if the box is owned or leased. If they say it is owned ask them if it can be activated free and clear on your account without an agreement. Sometime you will need to purchase a new access card from directv, this will run 20bucks plus shipping. Most sellers on ebay advertise this up front, and most advertise the rid number in the auction as well, but make sure you see a picture of the label, with the exact model number. Check that the rid number matches it with directv. Thats about it.

The only other thing you need to know is directv cannot activate any receivers to your existing account if your bill is past due, so make sure to pay your bill for the month prior to calling to activate your new box.

Depending on your existing boxes, you should only need to pay 6/month in addition to you existing bill for the new box.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)