Leased vs Purchased Receiver Fees

tecboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Cincinnati
I currently have 3-301 and one 501DVR under the Digital Home Plan. I believe my monthly bill includes 4x$5 =$20 leased tuner fee and no fee for my 501DVR.I have been considering upgrading/replacing some of my tuners due to the issues with the 501dvr's. If i purchase a new reciever, are there any addtional fees i would have to pay to add it to my account? If i lease a 625 DVR from Dish, does the fact that it has dual tuners change the lease fee of $5 to $10 since it is dual tuners? I know if i upgrade my DVR, i will have to fork over the DVR monthly fee.

If the 625 is plugged into a phone line it is considered a single receiver for fee basis. If it is not connected 24/7 to a landline it will incurr an additional $5 fee for the second tuner.

Thanks...what about addtional reciever fees incurred if i actually own the reciever? If i drop one of my leased recievers, i am fairly sure my bill would decrease by $5 for the leased fee on the unit i would turn back in

If you drop a leased receiver you gain 5.00 (6.00 for HD,) but when you add the new purchased receiver is will incur an additional receiver fee of 5.00, so your billing stays the same unless you flip on a HD receiver.

I've also had a recent experience with this. Last july I had my return customer installation done. I started with two leased Vip-211 HD receivers, then in september i upgraded one of my 211's for a Vip-622 HDDVR receiver with the $200.00 upgrade promotion. Well, two weeks ago I decided that I could live without the 211 in my second room and use the the TV2 on the 622. So, I call and they tell me that if I take the 211 off my account I will incur a $6.00 lease fee on the 622.......so basically my bill would remain the same but I would lose the use of the 211 receiver. Needless to say, I kept my 211. It is a little frustrating after spending the extra $200.00 dollars for the upgrade to learn that I will be penalized if I remove the 211 from my account.

I think you can avoid one $5 fee if you replaced one leased box with one owned box.

Kb7oeb,

The lease fee is instead of the Extra Receiver fee. If you are on the Digital Home Plan then you are on a lease plan so even if you replaced receivers you would have an extra receiver fee instead of the lease fee, unless you replaced the Primary receiver with a Owned receiver.

The problem is that you can't replace the primary leased receiver on your account with a owned primary receiver and be able to stay on the Digital Home Plan. Most subscribers do NOT pay a lease fee for the primary receiver anyway.

The only advantages to replacing a leased receiver with a OWNED receiver would be if you replaced TWO leased 301's with a Dual TUNER DVR, also you CAN'T have MORE THAN 4 tuners, which is the maximum allowed on lease accounts. Then you would only pay ONE extra receiver fee and be able to use the DVR to connect to TWO TV's. The biggest caveat would be you WILL PAY a DVR fee (unless you subscribe to the Everything Package) as well as an additional $5.00 for each Dual Tuner DVR without a phoneline connected.

With all that said even if you do NOT have the everything package you will pay almost the same as you pay now (assuming you connect a phoneline), and have DVR functions on TWO TV's.

John

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts