Leases have started, experiences?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Dude

Home Theater Editor
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
SHADO
The lease model has started for better or worse. Please post your CSR experiences here or if you're a newbie your thoughts.

For all us "old timers" what kind of spike in activity do you think we'll see in this forum?

And finally, will my buddy 002's head implode with a slew of expected posts that aren't happy with the lease model?

Let the fun begin!

Last edited:
Well, I actually spoke to a "advanced tech" last night and actually told them I was activating so the equipment that *I* paid for didnt become *DirecTV* property. He gave me a laugh and a quick explanation of the what and why:

They were tired of people signing up for 4 room packages then Ebaying 3 of the receivers. My point to him was that Ive been told numerous times Im a customer "in excellent standing" but now I still have to pay for receivers *and now* give them back after I paid for them? He even said that I can go to Best Buy and buy a receiver, but now it will be the same full price (HD Tivo) and if I ever give up the service I have to send it to them. Yeah, thats a good way to treat a customer "in excellent standing".

Nonetheless, I was *finally* able to activate another DirecTivo last night, 4 hours before March 1 and the lease bull-crap kicked in. Funny though, this "advanced tech" said the box was dead. Just turned out (surprise) that D* doesnt know how to switch a card from a standard receiver to a DVR. It took me 10 minutes to convince the CSR that they didnt need an RID for a Philips DSR7000 because its too old. She told me about 10 times it wouldnt work, then when I told her it was working she said "yes it should have worked".

I love DirecTV, but I was this --> <-- close to cancelling last night.

-Chris

Called C/R night before last and ordered a new SD DVR (Rebated DVR, free install + 3 mos. of Starz) ; they're supposed to be out this morning to install, so I got in just before the deadline.

M (moping because D* 857 (XM The Chill) hasn't kicked in)

I will NEVER lease or rent from D*. However just called them about buying equipment and they stated that I will have to buy from them ONLY! No BB or circuit city as all those type stores will only lease from now on.So I asked prices and after many pauses and holds couldn't really say for sure. Told them I was only interested
in directtv dvr's with tivo and they said they still have some (probably R10's) but price?
Anyway seems they only want to push renting and they will control all equipment from now on.

chrisexv6 said:
He gave me a laugh and a quick explanation of the what and why:

They were tired of people signing up for 4 room packages then Ebaying 3 of the receivers.

-Chris

I don't see their point. The 3 receivers that end up on ebay will be activated with D* and new programming sold to the people who bought from ebay. Otherwise, why would they even buy them? Sounds like 3 new customers to me.

-Bob-

Thats what I figured too. But I didnt bother arguing back because I had already been on the phone for 30 minutes for something that took 5 when I just came up with a way to bypass even talking to them until the last possible minute.

All in all its just a way for them to make more money and save more money at the same time. If they dont need to subsidize anymore, imagine how much they save. On top of that they'll be getting this equipment BACK after people paid for it to begin with. So it looks like they are doubling their $$$ while the customer gets bupkiss to show for the "experience" of having DirecTV, if they ever decide to switch to cable. D* makes it sound like we're going to make 1000% profit on our receivers on Ebay, in essence they are the only one that not only profits, but it seems they profit TWICE, possibly even 3 times if you count the fact that they didnt subsidize the cost, the user paid for it once, and then the user gave it back so D* can re-sell it.

Somebody up there does something to us, but its definitely not love. Well, it might be a certain kind of love, but I dont think we can speak of that on a family-friendly forum.

-Chris

PATONENOW said:
No BB or circuit city as all those type stores will only lease from now on.
The sales reps at BB and CC can barely tie their shoes. How are they going to handle leasing? I am going to dinner tonight and will wonder into BB and see what they know. The guy knew it was coming, but didnt know about it.

I had a vision that I most likely imagined in my head that the new lease would be a low monthly payment for the HD DVR as opposed to the cash outlay. A quick call to them today shot that down. The current DVR is $499 after rebate, the same as it was yesterday. The lease is only a new word for the mirroring fee which as you guys stated, will insure that you don't own the box and can't sell it. So no real benefit for the customer.

These poor CSR's, they either don't get any training or don't understand what they are told. I always like to ask questions to see what the answer is this time. Today I was told I can't get local channels in HD via Dtv as it is not possible with current technology, a change coming out in May will fix that, but don't order the current box as it will be obsolete in June when the new box comes out. (scratching my head)

A couple days ago I was told I could get local HD channels, told to go ahead and get the currrent HD DVR as it will be compatible going forward, and, in order to get local channels in HD I will need to order the $499 box then submit a form via Dtv that will have to be approved by the FCC and local affiliates. I said "so is there any guarentee I will receive HD locals?" CSR said "no, but you can order the box and make a 2 year HD service commitment and find out." (Still scratching head.)

I think I will sit back and see how this new DVR plays out and see if the price drops any. One thing is for sure the receiver end of the HD equipment (your tv) is years ahead of the transmitting side. (Satellite, OTA, cable, DVD)

They show is this great picture that you can get only in limited availability which probably only makes us want it more. I got a Sharp Aquos this week. Thus begins my life long search for a high quality picture. :)

Thanks, Mike.

chrisexv6 said:
Thats what I figured too. But I didnt bother arguing back because I had already been on the phone for 30 minutes for something that took 5 when I just came up with a way to bypass even talking to them until the last possible minute.

All in all its just a way for them to make more money and save more money at the same time. If they dont need to subsidize anymore, imagine how much they save. On top of that they'll be getting this equipment BACK after people paid for it to begin with. So it looks like they are doubling their $$$ while the customer gets bupkiss to show for the "experience" of having DirecTV, if they ever decide to switch to cable. D* makes it sound like we're going to make 1000% profit on our receivers on Ebay, in essence they are the only one that not only profits, but it seems they profit TWICE, possibly even 3 times if you count the fact that they didnt subsidize the cost, the user paid for it once, and then the user gave it back so D* can re-sell it.

Somebody up there does something to us, but its definitely not love. Well, it might be a certain kind of love, but I dont think we can speak of that on a family-friendly forum.

-Chris

Brings up an interesting question. In many states it's illegal to sell used used eqiupment as new. I know old Packard Bell got slammed by several states AG's for recycling components and Best Buy and Circuit City have been sued by state governments for reselling used merchandise as new.

projectorsrule said:
Brings up an interesting question. In many states it's illegal to sell used used eqiupment as new. I know old Packard Bell got slammed by several states AG's for recycling components and Best Buy and Circuit City have been sued by state governments for reselling used merchandise as new.

Yeah but if they can be called "leasers" of equipment, they can "lease" a returned box out. And call the 99.00 initial outlay a "security payment" or some BS.

Or, all the returned equipment becomes the replacements for everyone that leases this stuff because all leased equipment has the D* equipment warranty. I know they send out refurbbed/used units now to people that get replacements, so now I guess they just have a larger stock of those units. I guess now they get a decent chunk of $$$ back when new customers leave and go back to cable. Thats one way to earn money by doing nothing I guess.

-Chris

I was told by the retention rep that it is possible to still buy and own equipment under the new lease policy. Instead of getting a subsidized price you pay the cost to DTV for the box. In my case I was looking at H20's and they were going to cost $250 today, but I would own them. Being that I own two DTC-100's and was told last month I could get upgraded for free with a dish I'm not so happy about looking at $500 + the Dish just to ensure I can still get HDTV in the future and still own my own equipment (and be sure it's new when I get it).

I predict a major falling out for Directv.

pounce said:
So did the HT manager at BB this evening. The wife wanted a copy of the new Jane Austen movie so I wondered over to the HT area and started talking to the manager. He said they knew things were changing, but didn't have full info so they were still selling receivers for the non-rebate prices. BB is a pretty big player, so if D* hasn't gotten them straight, who knows what will happen.

We talked about the R15 and he said several of them had been returned by people wanting the TiVo based one. Problem was, they can't get anymore R10's.

So it seems like the D* leasing plan is off on the wrong foot.

Just asking, but do you think if D* had elected to maintain ties with TiVo and use of its interface/firmware, would have made the leasing easier to swallow?

Anyone?

pounce said:

Philip Swann of TVpredictions.com made a similar guess back in December. Specifically, he looked for a massive shake-up in corporate management sometime this year due to the churn rate. Unrelated to this particular forum, though, Directv announced the possibility of selling HD movies on demand for up to $25 (no kidding). Visit tvpredictions.com to see the link.

Returning to the topic on hand, though, a CSR told me last week that there would no problem keeping my owned equipment or using two previously owned receivers. She told me that I would have to buy access cards though (since I did not have the service on them).

I think the major problem with Directv is that too much is going on, and somehow the CSRs aren't adequately answering questions. My guess is that the company is so large that it's hard to ensure that all CSRs know what they need to know. I also get the impression that the corporate managers do NOT know (or even care) what consumers want. I think they've set their goals (based on some type of research), and they would rather market than listen.

I can understand why Directv went to a lease program, given its recent churn rate, but I think competition of receivers (Hughes vs. Sony, etc.) is what enabled features to be developed much quicker (especially processor speed) with less failure (than what I've heard about Directv's receiver brand). I recall differences between RCA, Philips, and Hughes receivers, and the customer really had a choice.
My concern, now, is whether we'll actually see the bugs disappear.

I leased a digital cable receiver back in 2001 and had no trouble with the box. Hopefully, Directv's lease program will be smooth.

j c

Stupid Question re BB H20

So, if I go to BB and pay $99 for the H20 and then activate it, do I "own" it or is it "leased".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)