Leases have started, experiences?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LonghornXP said:
My suggestion is that every DirecTV customer should buy some lube so you can soften the blow when they shove it up your......

They probably won't even call afterwards. They never do. :(

I have been with D* since 97 and I find myself seriously looking at moving over to Comcast. I just got into the HD fray in the last month with a new TV and am getting my networks in HD over my lifeline cable service...and it looks fantastic. SD on the cable looks better than SD from my DTivo as well. The only reason I am hesitant to leave D* is NFL ST, but you know...though we are huge NFL fans this is just not worth it anymore.

This lease thing is beyond any logic I can come up with to justify giving D* my money any longer. Why would I pay full ownership price for equipment that I do not ultimately own?
If they had said it would cost me $100 to help offset equipment costs and then the lease fees I would have probably stayed...but this is just too much. Maybe when they have a competitive edge over other options with regard to HD down the road will I consider coming back...but my time is up.

I made the plunge today and purchased the h10-250/Tivo- I did not jump on the 200.00 rebate last month after I had found out about the Mpeg4 format which would make the current Mpeg2 receiver obsolete in another year. Why would I buy something (own) that would be worthless by summer? Now with a lease- I would be first in line to get an upgrade to Mpeg4 since I already am on the HD program and with minimal cost if any to move to the new receiver. This receiver is currently one of the best products on the market from what I've read and I'm thinking that they would not release anything until it has been battle tested? Also, If the machine had problems with the hard drive or stopped working, they would replace or fix it since it is leased? I think the word leased is scaring everybody since we are used to owning our equipment- but you still pay the monthly fee for having additional receivers (which is a lease?) My normal rates only went up due to an increase in programming and the HD pricing went down a buck. The DVR pricing for Tivo went up a buck- hey what about those non D* customers who own Tivo and spend 12.95 month? Is that considered a lease or use of the program? I have friends on Comcast and they are happy with it but they too pay a monthly fee for leasing or renting equipment, even the remote is a monthly charge! I looked into Comcast and the pricing is higher for HD lite? most of the good channels are analog and the picture on those stations have a lot of noise or are grainy, and from what I've read the DVR is not very good for the price they charge (9.99 month, for a 40gb drive) all said and done, I still am a D* customer, and I don't care about the 2 yr agreement since I've been with them for 6+ years. My monthly bill stayed the same since I did mention that I was thinking about switching and they gave me the HD programming (9.99 month) free for one year and added HBO and Showtime for 2.00 month for 6 months. Oh, and I paid the same as the rebated amount for the receiver- I don't have to send in a rebate or fill out any forms. They just credited my account. Just my .03 worth...:)

sleepless i stopped reading when you said hdtivo would be obsolete..... the hdtivo will be fine unless you need mpeg4 locals. the mpeg2 stream will be on for a few years and all new NON local HD stations will be in mpeg2 until the shut off. if you can get OTA, the hdtivo will ALWAYS be a 5 dollar OTA tivo at a minimum. I'm lucky enough to have good OTA so i can't picture an instance where i would ever unsub the hdtivo. I always have conflicts on network programs.

keep in mind they cannot shut off mpeg2 until every receiver out there is swapped out. Imagine what would happen if they went to mpeg4 only and everyone had mpeg2 stuff. I dont think sunday ticket people would be too happy being forced into a lease agreement

Help a noob out.
Why is it important to own the equipment?
Under the lease, will they charge me a per-month fee for the receiver?

The issue is the fee required to lease equipment. For the most part, the fee to lease is nearly the same price as it was to purchase the same equipment in February. $499 to "lease" a box is ridiculous.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)