Leasing Rumor/Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I also can't see that Directv would set the price that high. We will just have to wait and see....but I would hope it isn't true.

I have heard $ 399 to lease.

Nobody is mentioning and D* probably won't say to much about it, but you WILL still be able to buy receivers .

Jimbo

juan said:
wont work with mpeg 4..BIG WASTE OF MONEY

unless you get OTA with ALL your networks instead of just their 4 of course :) I'm definitely one of the lucky ones that dont need mpeg4

all new HD NON network channels will be mpeg2 so until they shut it off, so it will be ok. As long as you dont need locals mpeg4, you will be just fine.

How do they they they will ever compete with cable with this offer (let alone FIOS)?

Directv and satellite in general were always better deals then cable. They were cheaper with better picture and more channels and better technology (DVRs).

Cable caught up with the channel count first and then added DVRs. They then pushed ahead with HD locals and national networks as well. They don't make you purchase your equipment. In some places cablecards can be leased very inexpensively.

Now Directv is playing catch up trying to get HD locals to everyone. Their HD quality is not as high as most cable systems and yet they have no plans to fix this. They realize they need the HD locals to compete with cable (not to mention the whole triple play thing) but even if they could offer the same services at the same prices to everyone why would anyone choose to spend large sums of mony on equiment that you don't own. This is such a competitive disadvantage for them and it makes no business sense.

P.S. Most cable systems now a days also don't require a 2 year commitment.

Jimbos said:
I have heard $ 399 to lease.

Nobody is mentioning and D* probably won't say to much about it, but you WILL still be able to buy receivers .

Jimbo
I heard on another board 499 to lease with a 100 dollar rebate

Am I "reading" this right....planning on re-activation when my area is updated to MPEG4 with AT9 dish.........for me to get a HD-DVR will cost me $499, then pay rent for it every month, not own it, & have a 2 year commitment?

Barney

Barney said:
Am I "reading" this right....planning on re-activation when my area is updated to MPEG4 with AT9 dish.........for me to get a HD-DVR will cost me $499, then pay rent for it every month, not own it, & have a 2 year commitment?

Barney

so far, that sounds about right, but there's nothing official so i'm not relying on any information unless it's from an official source.

juan said:
I heard on another board 499 to lease with a 100 dollar rebate

I've heard $ 399 with NO rebate, so , the same price in the long run, but still leaseing.

Q. How can they charge so much to lease it and still want a monthly fee ???

Barney said:

Barney

Yup, thats the rumor so far....
Thats just an awesome deal , isn't it !!! :rolleyes:

and to think I was considering 2 of them originally :down

Jimbo

Can't believe this much talk and thought process over this "rumor" You can say that you told me so later but I aint biting on this one. Just some talk to get everyone boiling over nothing.

with directv's recent track record of just being plain stupid.. I'll bet or wont be suprised when this is legit

Well, considering that Dish just did something similar for their new MPEG4 receiver ($300 to LEASE the HD DVR + DVR fee + 18mths committment!) and folks are still getting them like crazy I wouldn't be surprise if that's also the case for D*!!! :mad:

jim tressler said:
with directv's recent track record of just being plain stupid.. I'll bet or wont be suprised when this is legit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)