Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cobra611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Beacon, NY
Hi everyone.
I was a subscriber to DirecTV from 1995-2004. When I moved in '04, I didn't have proper sky access and had to switch to Cablevision here in NY. Next week, I'll be moving again and would like to switch back to DirecTV. I brought a compass to the new home a few times, but I'm still having a hard time figuring if I'll have clearance from the trees. Perhaps you all can help me with a few questions. The first is...

1) Will I be able to have someone from DirecTV come out and do a site survey, before I sign up? If so, do I need to call them directly and have them set it up?

2) Is it better to sign up online through the website or, again, call directly? And, if I do sign up online (say tonight or tomorrow), and then I find out I cannot get a good signal, will they allow me to cancel without any fees?

3) Which is the latest and best HD DVR they offer?

and lastly, Cablevision offers the HBO Suite of channels along with multiple Starz, Cinemax, Showtime and Encore channels in HD. Does DirecTV offer all those channels as well?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Billy

Hi everyone.
I was a subscriber to DirecTV from 1995-2004. When I moved in '04, I didn't have proper sky access and had to switch to Cablevision here in NY. Next week, I'll be moving again and would like to switch back to DirecTV. I brought a compass to the new home a few times, but I'm still having a hard time figuring if I'll have clearance from the trees. Perhaps you all can help me with a few questions. The first is...

1) Will I be able to have someone from DirecTV come out and do a site survey, before I sign up? If so, do I need to call them directly and have them set it up?

2) Is it better to sign up online through the website or, again, call directly? And, if I do sign up online (say tonight or tomorrow), and then I find out I cannot get a good signal, will they allow me to cancel without any fees?

3) Which is the latest and best HD DVR they offer?

and lastly, Cablevision offers the HBO Suite of channels along with multiple Starz, Cinemax, Showtime and Encore channels in HD. Does DirecTV offer all those channels as well?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Billy

1. Call and sign up, if there is no LOS, they will not hold you to the contract as they cannot deliver the product.

2. I prefer to CALL, just have better luck being able to talk to someone, also potential for better deals that way.

3. The best DVR is the one they deliver you, you have no choice on the model unless you get it from a BB type place, but if you do that, you still need to buy a dish, that D* would have provided for you.

As for the Movie channels, D* carries all the ones you mentioned, but not all the channels in each movie group.
For example, in the Cinemax group, they only give you 3 channels.

Jimbo

and directv's HD lineup differs from Cablevision, we should have all of the channels in SD, but not necessarily in HD. And I stress should because im just blindly assuming, I didnt look at lineups anywhere, and you know what happened to the man who assumed....

Billy
If you have Verizon FiOS available in your area and movie channels in HD are important to you, I suggest going with FiOS instead. They have pretty much everything, while DTV blows for HD movie channels. Here are all the HD channels DTV doesn't carry (while FiOS does):

IFC
@Max
5StarMax
ActionMax
MoreMax
OuterMax
ThrillerMax
WMax
HBO 2
HBO Comedy
HBO Family
HBO Signature
HBO Zone
The Movie Channel Xtra
Encore
AMC

If you have Verizon FiOS available in your area and movie channels in HD are important to you, I suggest going with FiOS instead. They have pretty much everything, while DTV blows for HD movie channels. Here are all the HD channels DTV doesn't carry (while FiOS does):

IFC
@Max
5StarMax
ActionMax
MoreMax
OuterMax
ThrillerMax
WMax
HBO 2
HBO Comedy
HBO Family
HBO Signature
HBO Zone
The Movie Channel Xtra
Encore
AMC

Like I said in a different thread .....

D* covers most of the country
Verizon Fios is only in Verizon areas and then only if your lucky.
I'm in Verizon territory, but it will be another 10 years or so before it will be anywhere near me.

jimbo - a very high percentage of Cablevision country is FIOS-land, as well :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)