Leaving Dish after 8 MONTHS

vismich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I was a a DirecTV customer for nearly 5 years. I switched to Dish because I had purchased a LCD TV, and because of a tree, I could not get HD TV. I figured I would switch to Dish...How different could it be.....

From day one, instalation day, being a customer of Dish Network was terrible.
The day the guy came out to install my Dish he had to use a poll...which was fine. He put it in a bad spot...I asked him to move it, he said he didnt have time and to call an reschedule another tech to come out. I signed the apper work and he left.

I called Dish within 10 Mins., and they told me that because I signed the paper work that they would have to charge me 100 dollars to have a technician come out and move the dish. I argued, they backed down, and another technician came a few days later.

When the technician got there he told me that he "dint dig holes for pole mounted dishes". He said he would be happy to line the dish up, but I would have to dig the hole. I did. To top it off, he didnt have cement. Instead we lugged rock to dump into the hole to lock the pole in place. Luckily he helped me carry the stones.

To top it off, we had a ton of billing issues. My online billing and paper billing NEVER matched. When I called customer service I could NEVER understand them. I mean if you are going to use Indians, at least make sure they can speak english. When I would ask to speak to someone with better English, they would start over and try speaking slower. I never got anywhere.

Today I called DirecTV, and I'm switching back and dropping HD TV. I am paying half of the fee for breaking the service agreement and DirecTV is paying the other half in credits to my bill. When I called Dish Network to tell them I was leaving, they offered me a whopping $25.00 off of my bill for 3 months if I were to stay on as a customer. Ironically, the guy they put me in touch with to retain customers was the firsttime I spoke to someone from the United States.....Too late.

When I left DirecTV, they offered me free HDTV (even though I couldnt get it). Free NFL Sunday ticket, and 2 free months of service if I were to stay...

When I called about some issues with my 622 I got no help, suggestions, or ANYTHING. I was told "One day you will turn it on and it will just be working right."

Dish seems to be seriously lacking in the CS department.

When I called about some issues with my 622 I got no help, suggestions, or ANYTHING. I was told "One day you will turn it on and it will just be working right."

Dish seems to be seriously lacking in the CS department.

That was another issue. The HDMI cable never worked on my HDTV receiver. The sound didnt work. The guy told me "Yea, that happens sometime"....

The whole thing was awfull. So awfull I am paying them so I can leave.

I'm calling BS on this one... switched since you can't get HD on DirecTV? How did you get your core programming from Dish?

I was a a DirecTV customer for nearly 5 years. I

When I called Dish Network to tell them I was leaving, they offered me a whopping $25.00 off of my bill for 3 months if I were to stay on as a customer. Ironically, the guy they put me in touch with to retain customers was the firsttime I spoke to someone from the United States.....Too late.

When I left DirecTV, they offered me free HDTV (even though I couldnt get it). Free NFL Sunday ticket, and 2 free months of service if I were to stay...

It isn't a surprise that D* offered you a better package to stay than E* did. After all you had been with D* for 5 years vs only 8 months with E* and you were already leaving and breaking your initial contract. I'm surprised that E* offered you a dime.

What was the problem with getting D* HD channels? If you had D* before you could see the 101 satellites. If you got E* then you had at least 110 and 119, which are the same satellite positions that D* uses for their current national HD channels. The two new HD satellites are at 103 and 99, so did he have problems with eiither one or both of those positions?

What was the problem with getting D* HD channels? If you had D* before you could see the 101 satellites. If you got E* then you had at least 110 and 119, which are the same satellite positions that D* uses for their current national HD channels. The two new HD satellites are at 103 and 99, so did he have problems with eiither one or both of those positions?

I dont know a lot about this, but this response is to you and the guy that says he is calling "BS on This one".....

DirecTV uses one dish that has to hit two sattelites when you order High Def. There was no where on my roof or house where he said he could hit both sattelites because of a big tree that is very close to my house.

Before I wanted HD I just had to hit one sattelite, which apparently wasnt a problem.

Dish Network uses two Dishes, one for each Staellite (maybe not always, but they did for me) with what they called a switch.....

So I had one sattelite on a poll in my side yard for HD and one on my roof for regular programming.

Well it seems some of you did not speak to the right person. If your receiver is having issues with HDMI or something else. In most cases Dish will send you a replacement and going to Direct is a major step backwards.

I dont know a lot about this, but this response is to you and the guy that says he is calling "BS on This one".....

DirecTV uses one dish that has to hit two sattelites when you order High Def. There was no where on my roof or house where he said he could hit both sattelites because of a big tree that is very close to my house.

Before I wanted HD I just had to hit one sattelite, which apparently wasnt a problem.

Dish Network uses two Dishes, one for each Staellite (maybe not always, but they did for me) with what they called a switch.....

So I had one sattelite on a poll in my side yard for HD and one on my roof for regular programming.

You can use two 18 inch dishes and a 22Khz switch to see both with directv. I think you also need 110 and that means a 3rd dish and a special LNB

So how often does DirecTV offer NFL ST as a freebie? Give me NFL ST and MLBEI for free, and I'll switch too!

Well it seems some of you did not speak to the right person. If your receiver is having issues with HDMI or something else. In most cases Dish will send you a replacement and going to Direct is a major step backwards.

I did this, they sent me a new 622, I hooked up the HDMI very carefully, and it worked. I have had problems with the 622 overheating before, though, so I had put some little blocks under the feet to raise it for more ventilation. After I had the HDMI working, I powered off the receiver, and very gently raised one corner at a time to put the blocks under the feet to prevent overheating from the new receiver. Never even touched the HDMI cable, but when I was done, the HDMI on the new receiver was broken, too. I called them and they said they couldn't send me another 622 because they are so fragile and easy to break that they can't keep swapping them out. It's a really absurd problems that the HDMI connections are so super simple to break that any weight on them even from just the cable breaks them.

Last edited:
Let's see, you were a DirecTV customer for 5 years and a Dish Network customer for 8 months and you think it strange that Dish didn't offer you as good of a deal to stay?

Get a clue, dude.

Let's see:

Free HD
Free NFL Sunday Ticket
Free 2 months service
Paid half of Dish Early Termination Fee

Yeah, I'll have to call that out as not believable too.

Want some cheese with all that whining?

I was a D* customer for almost 10 years before switching to E* recently (for the 622 and the extra HD content). Both are large operations which rely heavily on contractors to provide their basic service. I am sure both go to great lengths to ensure a certain level of consistency, but everyone's experience is about as good as the specific technician you get. I had a few issues with my E* install, but kept a level head and it all got worked out.

The end product was worth what little problems I had. My advice - stop expecting perfection...or you're gonna be nothing but disappointed with life.

Want some cheese with all that whining?

I was a D* customer for almost 10 years before switching to E* recently (for the 622 and the extra HD content). Both are large operations which rely heavily on contractors to provide their basic service. I am sure both go to great lengths to ensure a certain level of consistency, but everyone's experience is about as good as the specific technician you get. I had a few issues with my E* install, but kept a level head and it all got worked out.

The end product was worth what little problems I had. My advice - stop expecting perfection...or you're gonna be nothing but disappointed with life.

Quit being reasonable will you...you make to much sence and that bother some people :D

There is another thread on another forum where dealers and installers all agreed that the problem with the HDMI was so bad on the 622, they quit hooking up the HDMI and only connected the component cables

There is a fine line between nit picking everything in life and also having problems due to simply not giving a damn. More often than not E* simply doesnt care it is very frustrating. Installs are often a problem but when your billing does not match up and you cant even have anyone explain it to you then that IS a problem. But hey lets ignore it and let this kind of behavior take over and appear ok. No thanks, thats why I left Dish as well.

Regarding customer service, there's no such thing as perfect customer service. All companies have bad and good. I've delt with Comcrap, D* and E* and ran into some decent CSRs as well as some nasty ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)