Leaving Dish Network....and the coming back

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stillageek

Original poster
May 25, 2004
I currently have a 522, 811 and a 510. The 522 and 811 are on the same TV. I wanted a 921.....but couldn't pony up the cash. Having three cables running to one TV is a pain. All the equipment is leased. Comcast in my area has a dual tuner HDTV DVR for $9.95 monthly. Total cost for a package simlar to the Top 180 including HDTV and PVR fees is $71. With the Dish Buy back program (don't have to give them anything other than proof I currently have Dish) it will drop to $46 a month for 16 months...a steal. My question is if I leave dish, and I decide to come back will I be able to jump back into just leasing recievers? I have always paid on time, but don't like having to buy equipment.

stillageek said:
I currently have a 522, 811 and a 510. The 522 and 811 are on the same TV. I wanted a 921.....but couldn't pony up the cash. Having three cables running to one TV is a pain...
Life is tough, isn't it? Nobody said it would be easy.

But you can make your life easier by connecting TV1 and TV2 from your DVR522 into the back-panel inputs #1 & 2 of your 811 and then have only one feed to your display.

DISH is talking about setting up a 24-month commitment release deal for former subscribers who left in good standing.

3 Cables

By 3 cables I mean three cables from the Dish. Two going to the 522 and one going to the 811. Cables from the boxes to the TV aren't an issue.

stillageek said:
I currently have a 522, 811 and a 510. The 522 and 811 are on the same TV. I wanted a 921.....but couldn't pony up the cash. Having three cables running to one TV is a pain. All the equipment is leased. Comcast in my area has a dual tuner HDTV DVR for $9.95 monthly. Total cost for a package simlar to the Top 180 including HDTV and PVR fees is $71. With the Dish Buy back program (don't have to give them anything other than proof I currently have Dish) it will drop to $46 a month for 16 months...a steal. My question is if I leave dish, and I decide to come back will I be able to jump back into just leasing recievers? I have always paid on time, but don't like having to buy equipment.

Today the ansewer is no, however in the future there might be a program for existing customers to sign up again. It would be the same program your on now and would require a 2 year committment!

There are several factors that will be figured to allow existing customers come back, however if you only had Dish for a few months and decide to cancel they might not want you back later!

I thought they already had a "Welcome Back" program in place. When I was inquiring with them about returning after a year absence (I was a Dish sub for 4.5 years, then 1 year with Comcast), they said I could come back on the same deal as a new DHA sub, with no $25 re-connect, either. This was in January of 2004. (I opted to go for the Free Dish program as a new customer under my wife's name.)

korsjs said:
2 year commitment = :eek:
This deal is for former subscribers like stillageek who bailed out because they were enticed by a cableco buy-out promo, in the vast majority of cases at a big loss to DISH.

After the real price kicks in they may wish to return to the DISH fold.

So DISH is working out a deal whereby they may return at a 24-month commitment to DISH for a couple of re-manufactured IRDs from people like them that churned.

Waddya want for breakfast? Rubba biscuit?!

All set up

I weighed the pros and cons.....gonna go to cable. They offered an equal to the top 180 plus HB0 for $34.99 a month, free dual tuner HDTV DVR and a free digital box for one year (saving $15 a month). They then gave me a promo for my cable modem services for another $35 a month (compared to the $55 we pay now or $45 for cable customers). After a year we would downgrade to what the 180 anyway. Our bill for cable then would be $70 a month. I like Dish...and can kinda understand charging for equipment upgrades....but then I see cable doing it for free. I can't think of any advantage of staying with E*. I read through other forums and reviews of the dual tuner HDTV DVR for Comcast and most were very positive with the negatives being a few basic gripes. I guess I will report my findings in the new cable board. I am setup for the 8th of next month with E* being cancelled on the 9th.

No HBO

Then $70 a month would be DVR/HD and the 180 package for $70 a month. which is on par with E* now. With cable I can upgrade to the newest box by just stopping by a service center....no extra $$ needed

In many parts of the country, Cable is definitely competitive with DBS, price-wise, and surpasses it when it comes to HW cost (and, in Dish's case, HW quality).

It looks like either the Cable pig has lost a little weight, or the Dish pig has put on a few pounds. Probably a little of both.

For the first 16 months, Cable in my area beats the pants off of Dish. It's after the 16 months that it becomes comparable. (with Dish having the edge on basic package price, and Cable the edge in price and quality of HW, and price and quantity of HD.)

Well, most of cable's digital offerings include ONE digital box in the price. If you factor in digital STB's for all 4 of your rooms, the cost can be tens of dollars higher. If you like the quality of digital MPEG2 video, then you should stick with DBS or you'll end up paying higher than your quoted price. Cable companies don't like to disclose this "little" fact. They think you'll be satisfied with ONE digital STB and lure you to upgrade the remaining analog boxes with digital versions.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Well, most of cable's digital offerings include ONE digital box in the price. If you factor in digital STB's for all 4 of your rooms, the cost can be tens of dollars higher.
In the case of my Cable co, the first box is included in the package price. The $10 fee for the HD DVR includes the DVR fee, HD Pack, and add'l receiver fee. I'd say that was pretty reasonable.
Now, the 3rd and 4th receivers would be $7 or $8 each, so that is a few dollars more than Dish. However, don't you think the $10 HD/DVR/Add'l Receiver fee makes up for that?
No? Then how about the $750 you save on the receiver? (Or, $250 for new customers.)

Mine includes 3 (three) HD DVRs - not 1!

When I include a total of 3 HD dual tuner DVRs and 1 STB, I still get more programming, more HD, and it costs less. I also do NOT get any discounts after the first month because I elected not to give them my Dish equipment. That may not be the case everywhere, but it most certainly is the case here. So, no "lure" here. Just the facts, maam.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Well, most of cable's digital offerings include ONE digital box in the price. If you factor in digital STB's for all 4 of your rooms, the cost can be tens of dollars higher. If you like the quality of digital MPEG2 video, then you should stick with DBS or you'll end up paying higher than your quoted price. Cable companies don't like to disclose this "little" fact. They think you'll be satisfied with ONE digital STB and lure you to upgrade the remaining analog boxes with digital versions.

At least you all have a choice. Should be glad for that in and of itself. We have the oldest cable company in the US also the founder of catv and we don't as yet have digital cable available,my home is 6 miles from there main office. :no

When I moved into my home in 88 the cable co. said we should be getting up there in a year or so, they did get here with analog cable, 2 years ago.
They lied to me again and told me I was getting digital cable, then I bought my 3500.00 plasma tv and when I went to order the hd package the ladies say's " I'm sorry but we don't have it available in your area, maybe late this year". WTF was my initial thought, you would think after running brand new cable it would have the ability to carry digital cable. lmao

Just make sure you are going to get a real deal cause I have a feeling all providers are going to start putting the clamps to the blood loss of bouncing subs. Just my op.

No need to give up equipment

In order to get the deal from Comcast $400 ($25 credit for 16 months) you don't have to give up the dish equipment (important since most lease). All you have to do is show them a recent bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts