Leaving DTV for dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GB33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Indianapolis
I am most likely going to be leaving DTV after 5 years of service. It is a very hard decision because of the familiarity I have with the system, chanells, and the Tivo DVR service. My main reasons for the switch will be cost, lower per month with Dish, strong preferance of Sirius music over XM, HD offerings, and wife. She likes the cost thing the most.
In the long run I know it's "just T.V" but this is a big deal to me. Mainly because of relearning the chanells and losing Tivo. Although it is my understanding that the Tivo boxes will eventually be "fazed out" which stinks. Also I want the dish mounted in same local on roof as current. NO damn pole in the ground crap!
What are some of your opinions? Also is the OTA HD tuner in the 622 pretty good? How about the 10-250? That is another reason I would like an HD box. The built in tuner in my F38310 is an "oldie" and isn't the best. Plus I would like to record local OTA in HD. If DTV would offer me $10 off per month and give me a 10-250 I may stay. But I won't hold my breath. I appreciate any feedback and opinions.

They will give you a HR10-250 and $10.00 off your bill - Just call the retention department @ 1-800-824-9081 and explain your situation.
I actually thought about switching but Dish would have cost more. Directv gave me a HR10 and credits to stay. Directv always goes above and beyond whenever I had a problem ( which are far and few ) You might have to call retention a few times to get what you want - It seems different CSR's are more generous than the others.
If you dont get what you want the first time hang up and call right back.

If you have a contract and are at the end, I'd call retention and tell them you want to leave and see what they offer. A recent post showed DTV was losing many customers to other services, but still posting a small net gain.

I'm so tired of HD promises and if I didn't have another 1.5 years to go, I would leave for TWC. I'll certainly revisit this issue when my contract is up.

That's just it, I don't have a "problem" with DTV, in fact asside from XM I like it alot. Also I do not want thier measly HD package, but just to use the box for OTA HD recording. Their package just is not worth the $11. My contract has been up for about 2 months. Last time I called the ret dept directly the person asked how I got the number. That same person did say they would give $10 off but had to be a 1 year commitment. I would prefer to stay as I enjoy using the tivo box and don't want to lose the DIY network. It is not in top 120/HD silver.

GB33 said:
That's just it, I don't have a "problem" with DTV, in fact asside from XM I like it alot. Also I do not want thier measly HD package, but just to use the box for OTA HD recording. Their package just is not worth the $11. My contract has been up for about 2 months. Last time I called the ret dept directly the person asked how I got the number. That same person did say they would give $10 off but had to be a 1 year commitment. I would prefer to stay as I enjoy using the tivo box and don't want to lose the DIY network. It is not in top 120/HD silver.
You are going to lose the TiVo. Directv has replaced the TiVo with their own R15 DVR and the MPEG4 DVR being released this month will be based on that software not TiVo's excellent system. DISH may not be any better solution if you carefully check all the prices you maybe subject to with a HDTV package. HDTV or DVR requires a 2 year commitment with D* with E* it is an 18 month commitment so you don't win that way either. Call retention and see what you can get.:)

landlocked said:
I'm so tired of HD promises and if I didn't have another 1.5 years to go, I would leave for TWC. I'll certainly revisit this issue when my contract is up.

Your timing makes for a somewhat funny issue. There have been no HD promises made for ANY DATE UNTIL summer 2007 (right before your commitment is up) other than the HD LIL that is right on schedule.

If you have red thru the posts in this forum concerning E* and if they offer more of
what you want in programming I see no reason not to change providers.Good Luck!
I did the same thing in March leaving E* for D* for a better value in SD channels.

Last edited:
You dont have to order the HI-DEF package to get a HR10-250 for free. They will give it to you 4 months free then you decide. Retention will do whatever it takes to make you happy - I'm speaking from experiance. Just food for thought :hatsoff:

boba said:
You are going to lose the TiVo. Directv has replaced the TiVo with their own R15 DVR and the MPEG4 DVR being released this month will be based on that software not TiVo's excellent system. DISH may not be any better solution if you carefully check all the prices you maybe subject to with a HDTV package. HDTV or DVR requires a 2 year commitment with D* with E* it is an 18 month commitment so you don't win that way either. Call retention and see what you can get.:)

Thanks for the reply. There is no commitment if you pay the $50 "set up fee". Other wise yes, it is 18mo with E*. Also would have to pay a $6 HD accessibility fee if you have the HD DVR w/o the package. Load of poo I say. Like I said though, last time I called DTV retention, the guy seemed suspect to how I got the number. If I was serious about leaving, I would not call retention I would just call reg number and cancel.

johnml said:
You dont have to order the HI-DEF package to get a HR10-250 for free. They will give it to you 4 months free then you decide. Retention will do whatever it takes to make you happy - I'm speaking from experiance. Just food for thought :hatsoff:

I would like that, but the guy we talked to a month or so ago in retention, told my wife that it would be "no good" once the MPEG4 stuff happened and would not be able to get their new upcomming HD's. But like I said, thier HD package is DEFINATELY not worth the $11 a month they charge right now. I mainly want it to record OTA locals in HD. As well as for the Tivo interface. Will they soon just shut down the Tivo boxes or what? I haven't heard too good of things about thier own DVR boxes.
Does anywhere have screensots of it in action? DTV's own DVR that is.

They re-signed with Tivo for another three years, So it will be at least that long. I wanted the HR10-250 mainly for the off air tuner for HI-DEF, As soon as my free trial for HI-def is over I'll cancel HI-DEF and just use it for OTA HI-DEF receiver. I had to call a few times to get one for free, All I had to pay was S/H ($20.00) I cant see Directv shutting off all the non MPEG4 units - That's the majority of equipment out there ? Eventually they will, but it will be years. I haven't tried the non TIVO receivers yet and I am in no hurry - I love the TIVO based models. If you want a HR10 you might have to call a few times before you get one for free, but you will eventually. - :hatsoff:

johnml said:
They re-signed with Tivo for another three years, So it will be at least that long. I wanted the HR10-250 mainly for the off air tuner for HI-DEF, As soon as my free trial for HI-def is over I'll cancel HI-DEF and just use it for OTA HI-DEF receiver. I had to call a few times to get one for free, All I had to pay was S/H ($20.00) I cant see Directv shutting off all the non MPEG4 units - That's the majority of equipment out there ? Eventually they will, but it will be years. I haven't tried the non TIVO receivers yet and I am in no hurry - I love the TIVO based models. If you want a HR10 you might have to call a few times before you get one for free, but you will eventually. - :hatsoff:

You are in my boat exactly. This is spot on why I would like to stay. But if and only if, i get the 250 as well as the $10 off they said I could get. So this box will still be able to get thier current HD offerings package, but will not be able to recieve the new upcomming things? Correct. Do you look at the regular local guide to see when to record OTA HD shows and just do it by time? Or does it appear on the guide? My wife and I love the Tivo interface and I am not the biggest fan of Dish's.
But if I am calling to cancel, why would I call them several times until I get someone that will give me a box. Won't they see that I am bluffing and just trying to get something free?! Then they will shut me off and I have to switch. Also is the box they sent you on a lease or do you own? Man I just wish DTV had Sirius music instead of XM.

Sounds like you have talked yourself into E* from this thread and yor DISH thread good luck you will need it. And don't get this wrong I have a DVR625 but I also have 3 Directv TiVos.

Am I the only one that hates tivo? I hate my D* tivo with a passion. the features are great\good software but the guide and remote are soooo slow that it makes it not even worth it. It's so hard to see on a 20" lcd in my bedroom because the white text on blue blend together. I'm in the switch boat as well. just called and my contract is up next month! D* has been rock solid for me, customer service is great but I HATE the equipment. the guide is sooo slow. it's a little faster on the D* brand but the uhf just isn't as responsive as dish. The fact there is way more hd and better (yes buggy) equipment, I think that has me sold on the switch. for me it's all about the guide, it's got to be fast.

I don't HATE TiVo, but I do prefer ReplayTV its a shame (for now) that they are moving to a software licencing arrangement. BUT they are still fully supporting all the past STBs.

boba said:
Sounds like you have talked yourself into E* from this thread and yor DISH thread good luck you will need it. And don't get this wrong I have a DVR625 but I also have 3 Directv TiVos.

Not 100%. I am HORRIBLE at making decisions. Took me 3 freaking weeks to decide on a digital camera. As soon as I think I am ready to switch, i think of the Tivo interface, two OTA tuners, no fee to have HD "capability", and sticking with what I am familiar with, keeping DIY. Not to mention saving $200 on the box. And with my two Tivo setup, I can actually record 4/5 shows at once vs the 2/3 with the 622. I am not sure how the OTA stuff works on them. That TV1 and 2 crap gets annoying. Though nice to share with other tv's.
But getting new stuff is always fun, HD, HD locals coming in next few months, Sirius, and a supposedly better OTA tuner with 622. Tough stuff. But I wouldn't be surprised if I stay with DTV.

Last edited:
GB33 said:
Better change your sig then I guess.

your right. ;) I hate to ditch D* after it's been such a solid service but I own everything so I can go back if I need too. I won't sign a dish contract.

John I tried, but to no avail. Despite the box nearing the end of its run due to mpeg-4, being a couple years old, offering WAY less HD than Dish. He was "offering" box for $200 (HR10-250 mind you) $10 off for a year, and requiring a 2 year commitment. Gee, no thanks. It's almost as if they are pushing me out the door.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)