Left DISH and LOVE IT!!!!!

I am thinking about switching to FiOS. They now have more HD in my area than Direct. The only two things preventing me from switching are pretty big though. First, I cannot take my receiver with me when we travel to our Condo in Mammoth. Second, their HD lineup on EI sucks.

I have Fios in NJ and have been mostly satisfied.

Couple issues though:

1. Getting a second phone line. No promotion for it, and it goes at Verizon's standard rates, which is of course, where they make money...., plus if you want to add long distance to it it becomes another hassle. In that way, Comcast is easier, as its just $10 extra and you get long distance on it. However, one can get Vonage or find an alternate way of getting a second line.

2. Getting it installed. Install date winded up being 2 weeks after I called in, no Saturday installs, It took a whole day[4-5 hours] the day I got it, and I had to do take a day off - missing a day of work.

3. Sometimes long hold times, and/or rude customer service. a. I don't need ppl with an attitude, b. please ask if its ok if you are going to transfer me...don't say tech support would know and click, transfer, and I'm put me on hold for 20 minutes, before I could even ask my second question which tech support wouldn't know.

4. FIOS here doesn't have multi-stream cable cards. Even once they get em, and assuming I request one to reduce my bill, they'll have to get a tech out here to put it in. For that, they charge a lot for a service call and it may not be worth the effort. Right now, for my TiVo HD, I use 2 single stream cards [$3.99/mo each totalling $8/mo bucks]. Comcast had multi-stream cards and charged $1.50/mo for 1. Verizon DVR's are $15.99, or $19.99 (more sophisticated) or its $5.99 for a regular box.

Overall, I'm saving over Comcast, get more channels and HD. I'm a long time TiVo customer, so I get the multi-room discount for TiVos, but if I had to start over (if I was just starting off with the DVR experience) I'd probably think getting TiVo would probably be too expensive.

Last edited:
FIOS will be like Verizon's DSL service -- if you're in an area they decide to install it in, great!!! If you're not, you'll never get it.

Its 2009 and they still can't get DSL to every nook and cranny of Buffalo. What would make FIOS or whatever technology they come up with next be any different???

Another difference between Comcast and FIOS....although not a biggie...

Although Fios carries MusicChoice as well as Comcast, one can only listen to MusicChoice online from a cable (e.g. Comcast) high speed internet source, and not Fios source.

In NJ, they intend on covering most municipalities...although I see they avoided Camden. When FIOS started TV services here, Comcast figured they need to add a number of channels that it was missing, including Oxygen. I know Dish did the same thing as they figured it was a way to compete...add the missing channels. So, now we get 100x of channels like Oxygen, and part of my subscription revenue goes to Oxygen owners, whether I want it or not, no matter which provider I get. And they all the providers offer the same free HBO, cinemax etc. for 3 months....but I'm still in the same boat, that'd I rather get all my locals, better customer service, be able to select the channels I want a little easier...but I'd need subscriptions to 2-3 providers to do that.

FIOS will be like Verizon's DSL service -- if you're in an area they decide to install it in, great!!! If you're not, you'll never get it.

Its 2009 and they still can't get DSL to every nook and cranny of Buffalo. What would make FIOS or whatever technology they come up with next be any different???

How about not having it available on Grand Island, in a area where they are building $300,000 homes and the residents would have the income to purchase the service. By time they have DSL or FIOS in my area landline phones will be a thing of the past.

I have Fios in NJ and have been mostly satisfied.

4. FIOS here doesn't have multi-stream cable cards. Even once they get em, and assuming I request one to reduce my bill, they'll have to get a tech out here to put it in. For that, they charge a lot for a service call and it may not be worth the effort. Right now, for my TiVo HD, I use 2 single stream cards [$3.99/mo each totalling $8/mo bucks]. Comcast had multi-stream cards and charged $1.50/mo for 1. Verizon DVR's are $15.99, or $19.99 (more sophisticated) or its $5.99 for a regular box.

I would say call in to Fios CS, and tell a rep there that you have 2 single stream cards and you know they are deploying m-cards. Tell them Jim Bennett in Andover, MA office said to get a credit for 1 s-card until they are available and a free truck roll when the m-cards are available.

He is the one that got me the 12 month 1 s-card credit and a free truck roll for the replacement in 6 months or so.

Sorry I'm late to this party but after I read the original post, I though Verizon was gonna pay the OP to use the service. Permanent discounts, one time discounts, referral discounts, posting an against-the-grain thread in a Dish forum discount. At least he admits to paying $67/month, usually these guys(blowhards) make like they never pay anything or lose anything, lol. Verizon is losing money to him. The FIOS internet is the only thing that interests me as I am happy with DISH and that's that.

Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)