Left DISH and LOVE IT!!!!!

This FIOS fiber optic service sounds better than anything you can get from the cable OR satellite companies. It sounds like a true "no compromise" very reliable service. Isn't that what EVERYONE wants?

Do I want FIOS? Do I want high-res HD and shocking Internet speeds? Heck yeah!!! :eek:

Is there even a remote chance the local podunk monopoly will bless us with this opportunity in this area in the next decade?!? Heck No!!! :mad:

Therefore, too much easier to be jealous of FIOS than excited by it at the moment. :(

From what I've read about it, I would switch to FIOS in a minute were it available. Like other comments, I expect I'll be taking the dirt nap before it is ever offered here though.

I don't think FIOS will be available in my area (Raleigh, NC) soon, but AT&T's "U-Verse" service will. :cool:

AT&T launches U-verse in N. Carolina and Florida | HD-Report

https://uversecentral1.att.com/uvp/home/explore

Competition fixes a lot of things when it comes to getting reliable, cutting edge technology, good customer service, good pricing, etc. Time Warner Cable and Dish Network better get their "stuff" together .... FAST. :D

I am going to put my name in this "Contact Me" webpage to let me know when I can get the service going in my home.

AT&T U-verse

• 100% digital TV picture and sound with over 85 HD channels and growing
    • An HD-ready receiver at no extra cost
    • More DVR storage than cable - up to 133 hours of standard or 37 hours of HD shows
    • Record up to 4 shows at once on a single DVR
  • Total Home DVR - Record on 1 DVR. Play on any TV in your home
  • Reliable High-speed Internet with wireless home networking
    • Speeds up to 18.0 Mbps downstream
  • Simple, hassle free and guaranteed satisfaction
    • No contract required
    • Professional installation included
    • 30 day money back guarantee

How do the Tivo units compare to the Dish DVR's? I'm asking because I'd like to migrate completely to Fios.

On the Tivo's.

They are great!

I have had Tivos for a long time, way back to the Phillips 12-hour sd unit.

I love the search features. 2 tuners with cablecards. They could use a GUI upgrade but work fine. Now that they do NetFlix online movies and YouTube, they are amazing.

I don't think FIOS will be available in my area (Raleigh, NC) soon, but AT&T's "U-Verse" service will. :cool:

AT&T launches U-verse in N. Carolina and Florida | HD-Report

https://uversecentral1.att.com/uvp/home/explore

Competition fixes a lot of things when it comes to getting reliable, cutting edge technology, good customer service, good pricing, etc. Time Warner Cable and Dish Network better get their "stuff" together .... FAST. :D

I am going to put my name in this "Contact Me" webpage to let me know when I can get the service going in my home.

AT&T U-verse

• 100% digital TV picture and sound with over 85 HD channels and growing
    • An HD-ready receiver at no extra cost
    • More DVR storage than cable - up to 133 hours of standard or 37 hours of HD shows
    • Record up to 4 shows at once on a single DVR
  • Total Home DVR - Record on 1 DVR. Play on any TV in your home
  • Reliable High-speed Internet with wireless home networking
    • Speeds up to 18.0 Mbps downstream
  • Simple, hassle free and guaranteed satisfaction
    • No contract required
    • Professional installation included
    • 30 day money back guarantee

Most people including me who signed up with ATT Uverse ended up cancelling the TV part. The broadband part is fine.

I love competition. Competition will "focus the minds" of complacent status quo companies!
This isn't the direct result of competition -- this is the focus of Verizon working to grow their subscriber base to make their investors happy. Verizon is spending $23 billion to roll out FiOS, and as of October have 1.6 million subscribers. (Source: Seidenberg not fazed by access line loss ) They must show significant subscriber growth, and they're doing that through a combination of having a very good product and loss-leader pricing.

The problem with topics like these is that people compare the intro / promo pricing of their company of choice to the regular rates of their current provider. Eventually these things have to balance out -- I hope people remember from the dot-com disaster that:

1) Develop a service for $cost
2) Sell service for less than $cost
3) ???
4) PROFIT!

... dosen't work as a business model.

In the short term people are going to score deals, and if you are able to land one -- great for you! This stuff all ends out balancing out in the long run though.

good stuff. Ondemand is great and there isnt anything dish can do to compete with that feature. Enjoy fios!

Sure there is.... Both Dish and Direct are starting to do On-demand content over the internet. They may not have a lot on either service right now, but it'll get there.

On the Tivo's.

They are great!

I have had Tivos for a long time, way back to the Phillips 12-hour sd unit.

I love the search features. 2 tuners with cablecards. They could use a GUI upgrade but work fine. Now that they do NetFlix online movies and YouTube, they are amazing.

Is it possible to plug in a search for all hd movies limited to the stations that you subscribe to and get results that list just the stations that you want without a lot of duplication or unwanted PPV? I could do this with my 622 by blocking the channels I wasn't subscribed to, simple solution. The D HR2x will allow you to almost accomplish the same task, but they don't make it easy. If you can, does the listing info give you a good and a complete enough description that you can actually decide if it's worth recording?

The Fios Motorola is sorta ok. But if you've gotten used to either the current versions of D and E DVR's it just doesn't fill the bill.

Really.

I especially love the FOREVER part.:D

:rolleyes:

Yep, read the boiler fine print and there is a number of reasons that FOREVER isn't FOREVER. Including an option for the provider to change the price at any time for "any" reason.

Course if the price drops for other customers to an even lower cost once there is sufficient market penetration, then you'll find that your now "higher" cost is "FOREVER". :D

In any case, enjoy your FIOS....

Now get outa this forum and don't let the refresh hit your pointer on the way out! Just kidding. ;)

Really.

I especially love the FOREVER part.:D

Well, my month 2 bill came out

Still running me $104/mo, std price

For 12 months, with promos, I am paying $67.66

I really did mean FOREVER. They have kept their word. The discounts promised have shown up for 2 months in a row, so they weren't just one-time credits.

Viva FiOS! :) :) :)

Well, my month 2 bill came out

Still running me $104/mo, std price

For 12 months, with promos, I am paying $67.66

I really did mean FOREVER. They have kept their word. The discounts promised have shown up for 2 months in a row, so they weren't just one-time credits.

Viva FiOS! :) :) :)

My girlfriend recently subscribed to Fios. Sure the service and quailty are excellent, but her 4th bill was 214 dollars, 105 dollars over the promised monthly price. The monthly battles with them aren't worth it...

My girlfriend recently subscribed to Fios. Sure the service and quailty are excellent, but her 4th bill was 214 dollars, 105 dollars over the promised monthly price. The monthly battles with them aren't worth it...
Ordering and billing are a nightmare, but once you make it past those first wretched 3-4 months, the service is simply fantastic. If I had to guess, I would the say that Verizon tried to "modify" their existing telephone ordering and billing systems to include all the new FiOS customers vice sacking the old data system. All they need now is to make the 922 "cable version" their next HD DVR and I will be an even happier camper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)