Left Dish for FIOS

Remilk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2003
My wife and I have been very pleased with our Dish Service over the past 12+ years. We did a lot of soul-searching (about a year) before we made up our minds. Our experience with Dish was always very positive, especially when my wife needed to call Dish customer service; she felt they were very professional and helpful.

A week ago, we left Dish (and Clearwire for Wii-Max internet) and joined FIOS. The current FIOS triple-play offer will save us a little bit for about 6 months, then it will be a wash as far as price is concerned.

The install took under 3 hours; the FIOS tech utilized my RG/UG6 cabling for the two TVs and to the router. So far I have not stressed the capabilities of the HD/DVR box, but it works fine. Everything worked on initial set-up; there were no hiccups.

FIOS Advantages to me:
1. Telephone - Our landline telephone now works when it rains and we have a lot of new features, voice mail, caller ID etc. (put the answering machine in the attic)

2. Internet Access; 25/25 as opposed to 1.5/.5 (Clearwire), and I no longer need to fiddle with the Clearwire antenna.

3. TV Stations - a few more, but MLB was good for a week, I could watch the Red Sox (Now I will wait until next year) and will watch the Boston Bruins.

4. Satellite Dish - removed from front yard; wife and neighbors glad to see it go. I do not expect drop outs when there is heavy rains or snow with FIOS.

5. Free Verizon Wifi access at many locations such as airports, hotels, etc.

DISH Advantage:
1. HD/DVR - We had a 612; this is a far superior unit than the FIOS HD/DVR and I might replace it with a TIVO HD unit in a couple of months.

2. Customer Support - We always had great experience with Dish Customer support

3. Station Guide - Very good station guide - the FIOS guide is barely adequate.

This decision to change was not an easy one, and when I move, I may subscribe to Dish again.

Bob

We will probably also go to Fios when it is rolled out in my area. They have been laying the conduit for it seems like forever now. I have another 12 months to go on my commitment to Dish, so I am getting anxious for Verizon to finish the work. Tivo is probably a better option over the Verizon HD DVR, even given the fact that on-demand will not be accessable. We may get one standard digital box to do the free on-demand if it looks interesting.

I have FIOS internet and phone service.

I will never change from E* until FIOS has a recorder equal to the 622/722.

I would NEVER buy/use a TIVO!

I can tell you right now Fios has the Best HD PQ, but thats not enough for me to deal with 18 hour HD DVR's with Verizons 9-5 customers service.. Sorry No thank you.:)
Yes, FiOS TV has the better PQ all the way around; yes, FiOS TV has the most national HD (117 and counting), not to mention the 10 HD channels in the local lineup; yes, Verizon's (AT&T U-Verse too for that matter) are ahead of both Dish and DirecTV.

The OP really does need to get a TiVO HD or Moxi since the FiOS DVR is inferior...

My wife and I have been very pleased with our Dish Service over the past 12+ years. We did a lot of soul-searching (about a year) before we made up our minds. Our experience with Dish was always very positive, especially when my wife needed to call Dish customer service; she felt they were very professional and helpful.

A week ago, we left Dish (and Clearwire for Wii-Max internet) and joined FIOS. The current FIOS triple-play offer will save us a little bit for about 6 months, then it will be a wash as far as price is concerned.

The install took under 3 hours; the FIOS tech utilized my RG/UG6 cabling for the two TVs and to the router. So far I have not stressed the capabilities of the HD/DVR box, but it works fine. Everything worked on initial set-up; there were no hiccups.

FIOS Advantages to me:
1. Telephone - Our landline telephone now works when it rains and we have a lot of new features, voice mail, caller ID etc. (put the answering machine in the attic)

2. Internet Access; 25/25 as opposed to 1.5/.5 (Clearwire), and I no longer need to fiddle with the Clearwire antenna.

3. TV Stations - a few more, but MLB was good for a week, I could watch the Red Sox (Now I will wait until next year) and will watch the Boston Bruins.

4. Satellite Dish - removed from front yard; wife and neighbors glad to see it go. I do not expect drop outs when there is heavy rains or snow with FIOS.

5. Free Verizon Wifi access at many locations such as airports, hotels, etc.

DISH Advantage:
1. HD/DVR - We had a 612; this is a far superior unit than the FIOS HD/DVR and I might replace it with a TIVO HD unit in a couple of months.

2. Customer Support - We always had great experience with Dish Customer support

3. Station Guide - Very good station guide - the FIOS guide is barely adequate.

This decision to change was not an easy one, and when I move, I may subscribe to Dish again.

Bob
Welcome to the ranks of the 100,000+ new customers signing up for FiOS TV each and every month. :hatsoff:

I have researched Fios, too. Bottom line is the equipment I would need (1 HD dvr, 1 SD dvr and 1 SD receiver) would cost me about $42/month. This is what I pay for EVERYTHING (including taxes) for HD Absolute plus locals!

Also, Center Ice on Fios has only ONE HD channel, which it shares with MLB Extra Innings (spring and fall).

Direct does not have Versus, Dish does not have MLB and cable is, well... cable. Everbody is missing a vital piece of my viewing requirements, so I will wait to see who comes through...

I would leave Dish for FIOS, if it were available in my area. I, sadly, am in U-verse territory. Two HD-ultra lite streams won't do it for me.

Picture Quality

You left out the most obvious comparison. Picture quality?

My eyes have been in use for 57 years. I can honestly say that the HD on both Dish and FIOS is fantastic. My wife loved the picture quality on Dish and said she thinks that FIOS might be a little sharper; her eyes are younger than mine.

I can tell you right now Fios has the Best HD PQ, but thats not enough for me to deal with 18 hour HD DVR's with Verizons 9-5 customers service.. Sorry No thank you.:)

And don't forget, for my set-up, the higher monthly cost of FiOS. That really is the primary thing that would keep me at Dish along with the superior DVR. However, if FiOS "fixes" those 2 deal-breakers, I would be willing to jump to FiOS when it comes to our area. Also, I don't like it that Verizon cuts the copper. We know why they really do it, not really the cost of running 2 networks.

Customer service is 8 am -6 pm. Tech support is 24/7. In addition they have an after hours team for customer service that can deal with basic billing/order issues.

The actual speed is 25/15. even though they state 25/25 the fine print says they do not guarantee upload speeds over 15. Still a great service though. Just with they had better DVR units. IMO they need some serious upgrades from the current 6416/7216 models.

Fios is "fixable" with TiVo. I would probably switch from Dish to FIOS if it were in my area. Dish does not have to worry, it will probably be 15+ years before fiber makes it here, if it ever does. There is more of a chance that U-Verse would get here first, but I would probably stay with Dish over U-Verse and the limit on the # of HD streams.

One thing I do not see is the price differences! I too, went with Fios for a month until I had enough of the Motorola DVR and its useless misleading content. Just try to call Verizon, and you will have to deal with its useless call center as well! On average, I had to speak with four people before I was put through to the current department. As for buying Tivo, have you looked at the products price as well as its monthly price? No thankyou, I would rather save $600 with what I got and deal with DishNetwork for TV and Fios just for my internet! Too many eggs in one basket and you will see when the company has problems.

Last week, Fios TV and INTERNET had a few service problems where I live but atleast I could watch TV with DishNetwork!

Maybe in your Area. Not in mine. I like Knowing on weekends and holidays my satellite tech will be there in full force.

It's national. All core (non-outsourced) centers for Tech support are 24/7. They are even open on Christmas..I should know. I had to work last Christmas :(

888-553-1555

I have FIOS internet and phone service.

I will never change from E* until FIOS has a recorder equal to the 622/722.

I would NEVER buy/use a TIVO!

I also have FIOS internet and phone. Just cannot see giving up DISH. The reason....my dish DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)