Legacy 118.7 options sought

If I am the "post police" it is only because the "berate anyone who asks a question we think is trivial or obtuse" crowd have invaded the neighborhood and are randomly accosting people who ask questions. I refuse to stand by and ignore it, whilst our favorite place to get useful satellite information gets a reputation of being a place where innocent queries are met with abuse. This seems to be a growing trend lately, lots of people all bent out of shape over who knows what, taking out their frustrations on people.

Exactly. Maybe he has a bunch of RG59 he doesn't want to replace. Maybe he just likes the robustness of legacy. I hate to say it, but legacy switches hold up better over a long period of time. When they did that big legacy push for us to use up all the sw64 switches and other legacy products, I put up a huge number of dish 1000.2 systems with legacy duals and sw64 switches. They were a pain in the ass to install, but I'm very sure there won't be any hardware related TCs on those for a long time. Regardless of his reason, he doesn't deserve to be harassed for asking a question. I wish I had something useful to add, but this is a bit out of my area.

Last edited:
Based on Smith's previous posts, at the very least, the receivers need to be replaced to receive 118.7 as the 4900 won't support it.

OK, you got it half right - x000 support 61.5/148/119/110 and 129 !
I'm just going off the ekb and my 5000 which shows only 110,119,148 & 61.5
Unfortunately for OP - no 118.75W acceptance for the models include 4900.
4900 support 61.5/148/119/110/105 and 121, plus 82/91.
so he has to upgrade anyways to get 118.7

Now a quest for big boy - Iceberg: what sats support 6000 ?!

the 6000 has always been the oddball of the bunch and can support more..what's your point? Again, I am going off the ekb link above for the older receivers

Heck I still use Legacy equipment. Had a DP setup with 3 single LNB's and a DP34...worked for about a week and then the switch blew up

3 legacy duals for 110/119/129 and a 811

OK, you got it half right - x000 support 61.5/148/119/110 and 129 !
7x00 support 61.5/110/119/148.
Unfortunately for OP - no 118.75W acceptance for the models include 4900.
4900 support 61.5/148/119/110/105 and 121, plus 82/91.

Now a quest for big boy - Iceberg: what sats support 6000 ?!

61.5/148/119/110/105/121/129 and 118

Wrong... just about all sats can support a 6000. ;)

Now what sats can a 6000 support...that's a different question.

>>>
I'm just going off the ekb and my 5000 which shows only 110,119,148 & 61.5

>>> I wasn't questioned your setup, but FW features

so he has to upgrade anyways to get 118.7

>>> Yes.

the 6000 has always been the oddball of the bunch and can support more..what's your point? Again, I am going off the ekb link above for the older receivers

>>> Tony could be mistaken by other ppl reports - like your ;)

Correction: that 5000 model is worst then 1000 !
Iceberg was right ( but only for 5000 !); it could accept signals from four sats: 61.5/110/119/148 :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am the "post police" it is only because the "berate anyone who asks a question we think is trivial or obtuse" crowd have invaded the neighborhood and are randomly accosting people who ask questions. I refuse to stand by and ignore it, whilst our favorite place to get useful satellite information gets a reputation of being a place where innocent queries are met with abuse. This seems to be a growing trend lately, lots of people all bent out of shape over who knows what, taking out their frustrations on people.

I used "chill" in the context of "lay off" and "dude" meaning "you."

One more possible "why"... maybe the guy is an experimenter and wants to see what can be done. And yes, some people (myself included) like new challenges and the satisfaction of doing something others might not attempt. Smith and I have actually done it and along with Iceberg are happy to share our knowledge. The others have no useful input except to insist it should be done the "supported" way and any other way of thinking about it is somehow inferior.

Where the original poster is in technical knowledge, I was once. I'm glad people were more polite back then.
I wasn't being impolite and I was writing to another poster. So it is you who are being impolite by sidling in on a post not of your concern.
In fact I offered the guy some advice on how to upgrade his equipment inexpensively.
And mr zebra stripes, I didn't read where the OP was complaining about anything anyone wrote either in levity or curiosity. Only you kicked into " oh I gotta take up for that other person" mode....Show examples of where and how the OP was in your words "accosted"...here's the dictionary defintion...
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
ac·cost Audio Help /??k?st, ??k?st/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-kawst, uh-kost] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to confront boldly: The beggar accosted me for money.
2. to approach, esp. with a greeting, question, or remark.
3. (of prostitutes, procurers, etc.) to solicit for sexual purposes.
My father once told me that minding one's own business was a good quality. Perhaps you should at least give that a try..For one day maybe.

[redacted] go DPP and enjoy your equipment again.
Good lord..... Just upgrade or start fresh with DPP. Why go through this trouble with old outdated products.. You will be much happier.
Amen!!! I just cannot factor why it is that certain people always have to do things the most difficult way they can dream of.
Maybe "accosted" is not the most correct description, but I certainly didn't see these as helpful or productive. Certainly not what he was asking for since he already ruled that out:
...looking for thoughts and guidance aside from the forced dishpro upgrade....
Apparently by defending the OP's right to try something "different" and his right to ask us questions about it, I am the one in the wrong here, and I apologize for butting in and questioning others' right to belittle him.

You mind giving a reference for the "mr zebra stripes" remark? I don't have the slightest clue what that's supposed to mean.

I used "chill" in the context of "lay off" and "dude" meaning "you."

One more possible "why"... maybe the guy is an experimenter and wants to see what can be done. And yes, some people (myself included) like new challenges and the satisfaction of doing something others might not attempt. Smith and I have actually done it and along with Iceberg are happy to share our knowledge. The others have no useful input except to insist it should be done the "supported" way and any other way of thinking about it is somehow inferior.

Where the original poster is in technical knowledge, I was once. I'm glad people were more polite back then.

Comming from an installers point of view, i would have to say why try and make your life harder. Just go on eby and find new dish products to use. If this guy wants to do crap work with no reward, he can clean my basement and attic out..

Correction: that 5000 model is worst then 1000 !
Iceberg was right ( but only for 5000 !); it could accept signals from four sats: 61.5/110/119/148 :(.

dude I'm going off the ekb which says the 1000,2000,3000,4000,5000,7100 & 7200 cant accept 105/121/129. That's per the EKB

I know the 5000 & 3000 I have here only have 61.5, 110,119,148 as options

Ehh, dude - I'm doing that from devices with latest FW, not by missing by [BobaBird;)] info.
EKB is living organism, new FW versions have more sats then old. Accept it at least!

Or for argument sake, ask ppl who have the receivers and all that sats to check the info and post screenshots.

TechPortal (informational > equip info > dish 500+ general info) for Dish 500+ still shows
Receivers NOT compatible with DISH 1000: (*no 129/118.7 support)
1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, JVC-IRR, DISHPlayer 7100/7200​
There are almost no software release notes for the 4900, so if something has changed I have to rely on users to report it.