Legacy dish with Dish Pro Plus receiver

LED

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Mountains
Hi,
This is probably answered here in another thread, but I couldn't find it.
Dish is replacing my old defective DVR510 with a vip612 receiver. I also have a legacy 4900 receiver.
I don't want the HD satellite, and I would like to keep the 2- 30" dishes I have with legacy dual LNB's and a 4-2 switch. I only want 110 + 119. Since the 612 is pro plus and the switch and LNB's aren't, what do I need to hook up my 2- 30" legacy dishes with dual LNB's to my new 612 and the legacy 4900?
Dish tech support is no help.
I know I will need a new switch like a 4-4 switch and ????
I have put in a new 3rd coax, because the 612 is a dual receiver.

All you need is 2 coaxs to the 612 it is Legacy compatible. You will need a new switch for the 3 coaxs needed to run the 4900 and 612.

OK, which switch?
Some switches need external power. I'm not sure how Dish does that. I was told a 4-4 switch needs external power. I need a switch with 4 inputs from the 2 dual LNB's, and at least 3 outputs, 2 to the 612 and 1 to the 4900.
Thanks,

IIRC, the external supply may be only for DPP switches like the DP44 and an SW64 for a legacy 2-dish 3-receiver (6 in, 4 out) case can be powered by most receivers. I used to have an SW64 but I cannot remember if it had a supply. But in any case it supplies the power through the wire and is why for the longest run it is recommended to use solid copper core and not plated wire although the steel core is stronger if it is hung between poles, say. It should not be a problem, just use what comes with it if bought other than from Ebay where it may be sold separately.

-Ken

Thanks,
So, a 4-4 or a 6-4 switch would work to connect my legacy dishes to the 612 and 4900 receivers. I have fairly short cable runs, and I just replaced all the old cable Dish put in 10 years ago when they installed the original receiver.
I tried to get Dish to send me one, and they wanted to charge me $200.00 for a 4-4 switch.

Del

There is an indoor part that has two coax barrels to pass the signal and the injected power from a power cord. that unit is then connected via the coax to port 1 out of the switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)