Legacy & DPP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Everyone keeps talking about voltage, but no one is thinking about current. Just because something puts out 18volts don't mean it can supply the required current to run said device. I can hook up to 6volt lantern batteries in series and get 12 volts but it will not provide the current to start my truck.

Yes a legacy reciever will put out 18volts, they have from day 1. However like Claude said their power supply will burn out in time. It will shorten the life of the receiver. It is being over worked. If you run two legacy recivers on a DPP you will legthen the time before they burn out, if ever, but beleive me one legacy receiver running a DPP LNBF will run hot and die in time. If you have a set up like that now and it is running, GREAT, but you are really pushing it.

I can't answer for Garys but I have a Dishplayer 7100 connected to a DPP Twin it is a Legacy receiver and works with no problem.:)
That's PLUS technology! To do this at least ONE Dish Pro Receiver must be connected to the DPP LNB.....Legacy EQ connected to a Dish Pro requires a Dish Pro adapter..

Birddoggy, Randall A, Smity Whity and especially Claude Greiner you are all hung up on 18 Volts. As I posted earlier the Legacy switches polarity by voltage switching. Legacy uses both 12 and 18 volts so the voltage has nothing to do with a DPP working with Legacy receivers. DP does band stacking so only 18+ volts is used Legacy switches voltage instead of band stacking so a DPP Twin will work with only 12 volts getting to the amplifier.
Now, now, now, I didn't say you were wrong and that it wouldn't work; but more important, I am not hung up on 18 volts.

But while we are on voltage....

Legacy is 13v (odd) and 18v (even), not 12v and 18v as you said twice. So that's probably not a typo.
To switch to the even transponders, the Legacy LNBF must receive at least 15v.
But I'm sure there's a +/- here.:D

DishPro uses DiSEqC 2.0 commands carried on a 22KHz tone.
The DishPro receiver supplies 19v, but the voltage can drop to 10.5v before the DishPro equipment (DP LNBF, DP34 switch) loses power and doesn't function (properly).
Legacy receivers can not (directly) switch a DishPro LNBF using 13v and 18v commands.
- But with a DP Adaptor between the Legacy receiver and the DP34 switch, it can switch between polarities and orbital locations.
Exception: A Legacy receiver can connect directly to a DP Dual to download software upgrades.

DishPro Plus also uses DiSEqC commands carried on a 22KHz tone.
The DishPro/DishPro Plus receiver supplies 19v, but the voltage can drop to 10.5v before the DishPro and/or DishPro Plus equipment (DP LNBF, DPP Twin, etc) loses power and doesn't function (properly).
Legacy receivers can directly connect to a DishPro Plus LNBF or DishPro Plus Twin LNBF using 13v and 18v.
- However, the length is limited, probably because of a power issue, not just a voltage issue.

My previous post listed two Dish documents, one says you can with restrictions, and one says you can't.

Again, I suspect there is an issue with POWER REQUIREMENTS, and NOT A VOLTAGE ISSUE.
Even one of Dish's documents say you may need to add a POWER SUPPLY to a DP34 SWITCH to get enough power to a DPP Twin.
People say you can run the DPP44 without the power inverter. Others say you can't. I believe it also has to do with power requirements and not just the voltage range.

The OP got it to work which is good. Will it always work - I hope so, and it probably will.
If it doesn't, he can buy a 311 for under a $100, especially a remanufactored one.
If I had the equipment, I would not had hesitated to try it either.

It's been said that DiSEqC switches don't work. Well, I replaced a DPP44 with 2 DiSEqC 4x1's, and 4 splitters and my 622 worked.:D

Last edited:
Well i finally got the dish mounted and i have a 3900 running perfect on a DPP no swithches,no DP recievers,and no other sats.just 110 and 119.
..That's fascinating..I will have to check my manual..I ahve not atempted to do that before...If you say it works w/o a DP receiver then I'll buy that....

Legacy receivers don't require the DP Adapter if two receivers are connected; however, if both receivers are legacy the 3rd satellite input can't be used.

That's how I understand the docs linked to from http://ekb.dbstalk.com/twin.htm
Yes, and it also says "you can not connect the DPP Twin to a DP34 Switch" which contradicts the below Dish document.

But the Dish document at: http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_Twin_LNBF.pdf
Says to supply enough power to the DPP Twin and DP34 Switch, you must either connect 2 Receivers, or connect a DPP44 Power Inserter to the DP34 Switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts