Legacy receivers on DishPro Plus

BobaBird

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
EKB Annex
From the thread "Dish still installing legacy LNBs?":
SimpleSimon said:
I just REread the DPP44 install guide and did NOT see any limitation requiring "at least one DishPro receiver".

That limitation DOES apply to the DPP-Twin however.
I've often seen the DPP44 limitation repeated but haven't seen the install guide myself. The thinking is that a DP LNB needs more power than the 13v put out by a legacy receiver needing an odd transponder. But what if the "required" DP receiver is viewing a different sat than the legacy receiver(s)?

What I got out of http://www.dishretailer.com/dpp/dpptwin.pdf and put on the EKB is "Legacy receivers don't require the DP Adapter if two receivers are connected; however, if both receivers are legacy the 3rd satellite input can't be used." Did something change or did I misunderstand?

The DPP44 does have the power inserter so as long as that is in place on port 1 it should not need any power from DP receivers to function properly.

Goaliebob99 is correct.

THINK about it. The DPP-Twin with just legacy receivers can be in a spot where it does not have the necessary 18+VDC to power a DP LNB.

DP LNBs ALWAYS need 18+VDC, and DP receivers on a DP system ALWAYS provide it. Transponder selection is NOT a factor - remember, basic DP sends both transponder sets.

As Pepper said, the power inserter serves that function for the DPP44.

As for the Legacy restriction, Page 2 of the DPP-Twin install manual says:
Single-cable connection to one Legacy (no DISH Pro or DISH Pro Plus label) receiver, without a DISH
Pro Adapter. However, an additional satellite receiver must also be installed as follows:
- For 110W/119W reception only, a second operating satellite receiver must be connected to provide
power to the LNBF.
- For 110W/119W reception plus satellite reception from an additional compatible LNBF, a DISH Pro
or DISH Pro Plus receiver must also be installed to provide power to the LNBF.
I'm going to speculate that the DPP-Twin itself can run on 13VDC (but needs more current than a single Legacy box can provide). However, 18VDC is required to run a standard DP LNBF attached to the other port, so there's no way to power it without a DP receiver being attached.

You say goaliebob99 is correct but what you quoted for 110/119 reception only does not specify that the second receiver needs to be DP although it is explicitly required for use of the 3rd sat input. This is clarified on the first page from the pdf link in post #1.
Tech Info Bulletin 136223 said:
When connecting a Legacy receiver, a second receiver must also be connected to power the LNBF:
o If the second receiver is DISH Pro or DP Plus, the DP Plus Twin will be fully functional.
o If the second receiver is Legacy, the LNB IN port (for a second satellite dish) cannot be used.
Your speculation does not conflict with this though I'm left wondering how 2 19v LNBs are powered when both legacy receivers are putting out 13v.

The question of power and the DPP44 was not for the switch as that is obviously taken care of by the power inserter but for the DP LNBs. Are you saying the DP LNBs are powered by the DPP44 rather than the connected receiver? That goes beyond what Pepper said. If so, I see how it wouldn't matter what mix of legacy and DP receivers you have.

To continue my speculation, let's say the DPP-Twin requires "X" watts of power just for itself. Note that I didn't specify voltage, but Volts*Amps (watts). Now, if a single Legacy box can only provide something like "X/2" watts, then 2 of them git-r-done - as long as the DPP-Twins LNBs themselves can run on 13V. I see no problem with that.

To speculate again, it's entirely possible that the 18+ volts that DP uses is just to allow longer cables, and that out at the edges, the voltage at the LNB might be much less than 18. I've never measured it myself.

As for the DPP44 - yes, I believe that the LNBs are powered by the switch via the power inserter. Case in point: DPP44 with only one receiver.

One receiver would simply power the one LNB it needs. I think a stronger case for the DPP44 powering the LNB is if the one receiver is a dual tuner model connected using the DP Separator which doesn't pass power from Tuner2 which could need a different LNB from Tuner1.

Wonder how close we are to getting that right?

BobaBird said:
One receiver would simply power the one LNB it needs. I think a stronger case for the DPP44 powering the LNB is if the one receiver is a dual tuner model connected using the DP Separator which doesn't pass power from Tuner2 which could need a different LNB from Tuner1.

Wonder how close we are to getting that right?
I think you're making it too complicated.

This is a smart multi-switch. I believe IT is controlling all the power.

It would be much more complicated to be switching LNB power from receiver to receiver as opposed to simply "bussing" it from port #1.

The power inserter supplies 21v to the DPP44. The DPP44 in turn, supplies the power to the LNB's. I just un hooked all my DP IRD's and my 2700 still saw all 4 sats. The only restriction for the 2800,3900,4900,6000 as per the instruction's, Was that Sat inputs on the DPP44, 1&2 needed to see 110 or 119, input 3 needs to see 61.5,148,105 or 121. Input 4 need to see 105 or 121. I havent tried to swap inputs to see if there intruction are right or not. It said no restriction for inputs if you have DP IRD's. They also mentioned 1000,2000,3000,4000,5000, jvc d-vhs, 7100, 7200 - it say's any DBS input's on input ports 1,2 and 3 but that port 4 was not supported!

Those receivers don't support port 4 because legacy receivers see the DPP44 as an SW64/SW21 cascade, a combination those receivers don't recognize. They also don't recognize the 105 and 121 FSS slots.