Legacy system 118.7 upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

adumas

Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Hi,
I'm really happy to have found your forum. After years of receiving hot/cold, ignorant/useful assistance from Dish Network's support line, it's really refreshing to find a source of good, accurate information.

I own a Dish legacy system that was purchased around 2000. It consists of two dishes, a Dish 500 (approximately 21x22-1/2 inches) with a dual LNB and a single LNB dish (I think it's a Dish 300) for international programming; three receivers, a 3700, a 4900 and a VIP 211 for HD; and a SW64 switch. The satellites currently accessed are 61.5, 110 and 119. The international programming I get is TV Japan and TV5 Monde. I'm in Connecticut.

I received notice from Dish Network a few months ago that I "may" be entitled to a free dish upgrade because of the TV5 move, but I didn't follow up since I prefer to own the equipment and didn't feel like having to carefully read the accompanying Dish Network contract boilerplate that was surely involved in their free upgrade to protect myself from agreeing to automatic payments, etc.

I'd appreciate advice and/or verification of what I've found in the archives for the least expensive way to upgrade my system to access the 118.7 satellite for TV5. From what I've read, it looks like the best way is to buy a Dish 500+ dish and a DP44 switch. Is anything else required?

Thanks much for any assistance!

Andrew Dumas

Your dish 500 will need to be replaced with a Dish 500+ (including the lnb's to Dish Pro Plus equipment. The lnb on your dish 300 will need to be replaced with a DishPro single or dual lnb. You may need a DPP44 switch as well depending on the number of receivers you will be using. Your legacy lnb's and sw64 will not work in order to get 118.

There is other solution: get 30...39" dish with regular Ku LNBF, insert plastic for convert it to circular type and connect it by two coax cables to SW64 instead of D300.

As was already stated, you will need to upgrade you Dish 500 and Dish 300 to a Dish 500+ and a DP Dual pointed at 61.5 with a DPP 44 switch. The nice thing about the DPP 44 switch is that you will not need a DP adapter for your legacy receivers, it is built into the switch. I am not sure whether or not your legacy receivers will have the software support for 118.7 or not, hopefully someone else reading this post will know for sure. If they do not, you will have to upgrade your receivers to either two 301 receivers or one 322 dual tuner receiver, that is if your legacys don't recognize the 118.7 satellite. Also, if you are upgrading yourself, check your cabling and make sure it is at least 2.25 GHz or higher. Being all legacy, it could be 1.8 GHz which will burn out with the new system. My recommendation, replace the cable anyway given the age of it. Hope this helps!

If you can find an old superdish 105/121 just put a 118/119 assy on it put a DP dual on for 110 change the dish 300 to a DP dual. You will need the DPp 44 SW as for coax most of the RG-6 that was used back 8-10 years ago was solid copper center and will handle voltage and signal just as good or better than the cheap copper clad that they use now.. Back then they had no reson to test 2.25 GHz Dishdepot has the 118/119 assy for $70

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)