Les Mooves Expects to add 2 Comedys, Say He'd Consider Turning CBS Into a Internet Service if Aereo

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Les Moonves says he’s considering 18 pilots this year, including spinoffs of NCIS and CSI, vs about 22 last year.
On other matters: Moonves says that he’d consider turning CBS into an Internet service if the U.S. Supreme Court sides with Aereo in broadcasters’ case that charges the streaming service with infringing on their copyrights. “If Aereo should win, we could go over-the-top with CBS….We will come up with some other way to offer our content and get paid for it.”

deadline.com

HIMYM will be gone. To add two comedies at least one existing show would likely go or have a reduced order---although I suppose they could add a half hour of comedy on some night.. I was thinking that Two anda Half Men was the most likely one to go but The Crazy Ones and Mom are possibilities still. I actually like Mom and the Crazy ones has potential but Two and a Half Men seems well past its prime.

Why are they turning to comedy now..... I think broadcast TV has enough cheesy comedies on. I myself don't want more cheesy comedies. I don't want a CSI or NCIS spinoff. NCIS is already successful with the two they have and the new CSI spinoff is a rip-off of Intelligence with a touch of every other procedural drama that has ever been out there. Honestly, I don't think anyone else wants spin-offs right now. Besides, by the end of the season, they're probably going to save only one show and dump the rest. That's a waste. Especially if you know that the show isn't going to do well before it even airs. If they want to bring new shows, they have to improve their exposure and math. Putting a brand new show while Castle and the Blacklist are on with a freshman comedy coming before it is not smart. Smack it in between your two best shows. Or have a good lead in show. Many shows don't succeed independently. Most rely on what is around them. I am checking the Intelligence FB page and people are saying it should have stayed in the Tuesday 9PM slot or it could have been placed at the Wednesday or Thursday 10 PM slots. It sounds a whole lot smarter to save some shows that are in danger (Intelligence, Good Wife, Mentalist, etc.) and work around with that. CBS is not doing their math right. Ratings are their number one priority right now, but if they want younger blood to succeed, they must put it in a position to succeed, not fail.

Last edited:
We will come up with some other way to offer our content and get paid for it.”

Why not do it now ya greedy old man!! Oh that's right,you don't want to spend any money,you just want to get paid.:rolleyes: Man I tell ya,I dread the contract negotiation between CBS and Dish,it could get real ugly.

and they would immediately be served with 200 lawsuits from local affiliates. As the article says, empty threats aimed at getting stupid lawmakers to bend over.

This is a win win win situation for us. If Aereo wins. (Obvious win) If CBS or others puts their programming on the internet or go just cable that's possibly a very good thing. It makes them compete with everyone else on the same footing. And if CBS gets sued by the affiliates we can sit back and :popcorn.

I can't thank Aereo enough for causing the Networks all this grief.

This is a win win win situation for us. If Aereo wins. (Obvious win) If CBS or others puts their programming on the internet or go just cable that's possibly a very good thing. It makes them compete with everyone else on the same footing. And if CBS gets sued by the affiliates we can sit back and :popcorn.

I can't thank Aereo enough for causing the Networks all this grief.

That's how I think too! If Aereo wins, everyone wins except for the networks. There is no way the networks will go completely off the air.. can you imagine the money they will lose from advertisers? So they will be lowering the fee for the cable companies or/and offer internet streaming for everyone!

Basically, we'd have Aereo to thank for losing OTA.

We won't lose OTA over this. It just brings more eyes to them, at no cost to them, and no loss to them, and they know it. NOW- might they use this as an excuse to move away from OTA, the better to reach into our pockets? Yep.

And if they gut OTA programming, I will be all in favor of handing over the spectrum to cell and other uses.

Ota isn't going away minus the networks or not.What it does show is the pure greed of the networks.They are basically saying screw you to local affiliates,we'll take our ball game to greener pastures.Local affiliates with decent syndicated programming,weather,and news,can survive without Les,Rupert,and the rest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts