Let Deutsche Welle know!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

emuman100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Pennsylvania
For those who use 1.8M dish antennas to receive DW-TV on AMC 1, please let Deutsche Welle know that your reception went to crap on December 2nd. Since Deutsche Welle has no interest in encryption and encourages viewers to watch it's programming, let them know about your reception issues at Send us an e-mail if you are using a 1.8m dish antenna. I just don't have the room to replace my 1.8m dish antenna with something larger.

So somehow it's their fault you're using an undersized dish to try and receive their service?

Well if it was working before and now it isn't, I expect they would like to know, regardless of what your equipment is.

A big fat KU feed of it would be nice too, lol. No trouble with the 10' dish, I feel for people who live in places where they aren't allowed.

It's important to understand there is nothing wrong with the signal on 3740 V. The problem he is having, I believe, is due to his undersized dish and the recent appearance of NASA TV at 3760 V on adjacent satellite AMC 18.

At 5.4 feet his dish lacks the selectivity to block out signals on adjacent sats spaced at 2 degrees. The minimum size dish for reliable reception at 2 degree spacing is 8ft. Is it possible to use a smaller dish? Yes it is(to a point)as long as adjacent satellites aren't broadcasting in close frequency proximity and on the same polarity as the desired transponder.

Lots of other stuff involved here too like receiver sensitivity, etc. but in this case there's no getting around the fact that the 1.8m dish is too small and as a result is being essentially jammed by the signal on AMC 18. Easily seen on a spectrum analyzer.

I don't see any difference with Q on DW-TV on my 10ft from earlier in the year. Still in the mid 70's on the S9. Could it be adjacent sat interference? A 1.8 will experience this more than a larger dish. Maybe others with a 1.8m could report?

For those who use 1.8M dish antennas to receive DW-TV on AMC 1, please let Deutsche Welle know that your reception went to crap on December 2nd. Since Deutsche Welle has no interest in encryption and encourages viewers to watch it's programming, let them know about your reception issues at Send us an e-mail if you are using a 1.8m dish antenna. I just don't have the room to replace my 1.8m dish antenna with something larger.

Seems we just got done discussing contacting the NOCs and Networks.
Now you are trying to start up a letter writing campaign, using the forum to beat up on the network.
Anybody that uses a 6ft dish for C-band has no grounds for complaining about reception.
I suppose you use rabbit ears for your OTA tv then write letters to the TV stations about picture drop out.
Get a bigger dish or watch what you can and be happy.

Last edited:
I don't see any difference with Q on DW-TV on my 10ft from earlier in the year. Still in the mid 70's on the S9. Could it be adjacent sat interference? A 1.8 will experience this more than a larger dish. Maybe others with a 1.8m could report?

All of my customers who were using 6 ft (i.e 1.8 m) dishes to receive any of the services on AMC 1, 3740 V have now lost reception due to adjacent satellite interference caused by the new NASA transponder on 105W. Both are wideband transponders as they have a high SR rate and are on the same polarity with almost the same frequency. As well, the 7/8 FEC rate for the DW transponder is quite high and does not leave much margin for error so it does not take much to lose lock on this transponder. Your larger 10ft dish is immune to this interference as it is 2 degree compliant so this is why you won't see any change in quality. People with a well tuned 7.5 ft. dish can still receive DW but their quality level is way lower than usual.

At this point, I believe it's best to wait a bit and hope the new SES 3 satellite due early next year has a power output high enough in order to overcome the interference caused by the NASA transponder on 105W. As a stop gap measure for my affected DW customers, I am repointing their dish to Intelsat 9 @ 58W which has the Deutsche Welle Latin America feed which can easily be received on a 6 ft. dish. The only issue with this feed is that instead of being English and German programming, it is Spanish and German but at least it's better than nothing.

Regards,

PwrSurge

Last edited:
So somehow it's their fault you're using an undersized dish to try and receive their service?

exactly. And I guess the last thread about the SAME thing (that was closed by the way) had some good info in it about blabbing to the stations on FTA. Remember in most cases WE ARE NOT THEIR INTENDED AUDIENCE. We just sit on the sidelines and enjoy it

Something went wrong somewhere because it worked before.

It's important to understand there is nothing wrong with the signal on 3740 V. The problem he is having, I believe, is due to his undersized dish and the recent appearance of NASA TV at 3760 V on adjacent satellite AMC 18.

I know the signal went bad on December 2nd. Before that day, the signal was good enough for decent reception for over 3 years. Did NASA TV come online on December 2nd?

Seems we just got done discussing contacting the NOCs and Networks.
Now you are trying to start up a letter writing campaign, using the forum to beat up on the network.
Anybody that uses a 6ft dish for C-band has no grounds for complaining about reception.
I suppose you use rabbit ears for your OTA tv then write letters to the TV stations about picture drop out.
Get a bigger dish or watch what you can and be happy.

You do have a point, and if NASA TV is the cause of this, then there is nothing that can be done. I'd just like to know if NASA TV came online December 2nd. My whole issue is I'd like to know why since December 2nd, the signal is harder to receive.

Remember in most cases WE ARE NOT THEIR INTENDED AUDIENCE. We just sit on the sidelines and enjoy it

We are the intended audience for Deutsche Welle.

I know the signal went bad on December 2nd. Before that day, the signal was good enough for decent reception for over 3 years. Did NASA TV come online on December 2nd?
a few days before

Iceberg said:
a few days before

Looks like there was a slight increase in BER on Tuesday, and Friday the BER jumped up to what it is now, from what I can see on the graph. So it might have gone full power Friday night. What's interesting is that I can pick up the last two vertical HITS transponders on 105 with enough signal to produce a stable picture if they weren't encrypted. Can anyone confirm NASA TV illuminated around that Tuesday night?

Attachments

• image-1090853348.png
    image-1090853348.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 133
Iceberg said:
The 1st post I saw from anyone in regards to NASA being lit up was Dec 1st early morning

This answers my question. I do apologize for my silly posts. NASA TV is to blame for our reception issues. The only solution would be to get a bigger dish antenna. Hopefully the replacement of AMC 1 would make a difference in the future. All I can say is it sucks, I cannot fit a 2.4 meter dish antenna in it's place.

I hope the new satellite helps because when 105W C-Band started I've had issues with 103W here in MN. Signal went lower right away. Some are a pain to get like PBS

DW is 100% on my 10' dish most of the time. No real difference here when the NASA mux fired up on 105.
I have had trouble aiming 8' reflectors because of adjacent satellite interference, and I am amazed what some are picking up with a 6' dish. Maybe aiming 1-2 10ths of a degree farther away from the offending satellite would null it's signal enough to improve the s/n of the one you want to pick up... Seems to work sometimes. That's why some TPs seem to peak slightly off (E or W) of others on the same sat, and some may scan 1-2 KHz low or high when blind scanning...
-C.

Cham
I've seen that on other satellites too with the 6 footer
99W was another one like that
move slightly east to get the 2 religious stations (Living Faith and the other at 3791)

97W use to be notorious for that with BYU...but now thats on 91W so its a moot point

I'm still trying to figure out in my mind if a 2.4m dish would work. With it I'd be able to pick up PBS as well as DW-TV, ION, and some other rare goodies. I peaked it for DW-TV so other stuff never came in, but I just wanted DW-TV. The outside of the larger reflector would stick out about 4 inches or so into the outside of my other 2.4 meter, which might cause issues.

The feedhorn of my 2.4m had to be in an odd spot, towards the top right of the reflector, to get the strongest signal. I don't know what is with these Fortec 2.4m dishes, but they suck. Good thing the LNB support arms bend, because it was the only way I'd get any signal, no matter where the dish is pointed. The panels are not bent, I really have no idea why the focal point isn't where it should be. It's pointed at 131W, QVC comes in really good with strong signal and low BER, but C-SPAN still has sparkles. Here are my 1.8m and 2.4m Fortec Star dish antennas:
403032_2893720541131_1203828635_3183741_1192773367_n.jpg375546_2893727741311_1203828635_3183746_2013303478_n.jpg395703_2893732821438_1203828635_3183749_1427998929_n.jpg406023_2893739421603_1203828635_3183753_1897674811_n.jpg
The feedhorn and scalar ring on the 2.4m don't look right, thats because I had to move it there to get the strongest signal, I really don't know why the focal point is off. I really don't think there would be enough room for a 2.4m to replace the 1.8m, what do you guys think?

I dont know what to tell ya but I do have one comment on how you keep those dishes put

I thought mine were ghetto with the sandbag on the 2x6 that goes across the bottom of the dish...yours top that ;)

It looks like you have the feed incorrectly centered on the dish. Maybe your az & el were off on them and you just wound up adj to hit the 1 bird. Do they make polar mounts for these dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts