Let me get this straight

jmastanduno

Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
I had direct for years until cable (NYC metro area) dangled the triple pack bundle in front of me (io cable, phone and internet for $99) and I jumped. After the year was up I got directv back and kept cables internet and phone because it was a big $ saver and the cable modem totally blazes. We didnt like the cable because the io guide took FOREVER to load sometimes, and the analog channels were unwatchable on even a 46" TV. (RPTV). Also I remember that I constantly had to switch the audio inputs from digital to analog on my audio processor.And most channels lacked digital audio.
So earlier this year I got a Mitsu 65 "RPHDTV but have no Direct HD signals to feed it because I refuse to pay big$ for a HD satellite DVR that is not guaranteed to work for any given period of time at their discretion (I never buy cutting edge stuff because by the time you plug it in, something else is available that makes yours look spartan, but anyway...) . I do have a panny s77 an I must say the 1080i even though upconverted looks pretty freaking superb. Also now annoying me to no end are those damn disabled USB ports on the directivo that dont work unless you hack it. All i wanna do is load the shows onto my lappy so I can watch them while my wife watches desperate housewifes for cryin out load...
It looks like I can get a HD DVR from cable for free (other than the monthly lease fee) and also about 12-15 hd channels but now I am reading that most are not really true hd quality and only a few really shine. Also I am imagining that analog channels on the 65" are going to look like, who did it and ran. And now also to top it all off the firewire ports on the cable hd dvr are ALSO disabled. On the plus side is I have gotten great phone and internet service.
This is super frustrating cause like I said all I want to be able to do is view the content that I paid for in my own home where I want to.
To top it all off is this MPEG4 migration from E*SAT AND another moving to "leased equipment only" effective March 1. AND ALOT of silence from the SAt providers as to what they are planning for the customers.
I almost wish I never bought this new hdtv....... NOT!!!!!
But seriously. Really unsure which way to go. (I wonder how that Pocketdish thing works through the "for future use" usb ports....interesting))))
Thanks for reading

Well, if you're lucky to be in a digital simulcast area, then you wont have to put up with the analog channels. If not (like me), the analog channels look horrible on a 52" TV.

Depending on the HD DVR you get from your cable company, various ports wont be active. But even with D*, they dont have active USB or firewire either. If you get the SA8300HD box, the external SATA port is active, so you can add in another hard drive.

If you currently have cable, it should be easy to just add the TV portion and try it out. If it sucks like it did last time, just dump it again. :)

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)