Let's petition DISH to change initial recording.

Sorry I like having recording options.
If you want D* like recording features, Then Get Directv!
Again, under my proposal, you don't loose ANY recording options. If you set the default to "new", you can still change it to "all". I guess you're still using Windows 3.5, after all, those people who liked more "drag and drop" features could just get a Mac.:D

Just like da ads

Again, under my proposal, you don't loose ANY recording options. If you set the default to "new", you can still change it to "all". I guess you're still using Windows 3.5, after all, those people who liked more "drag and drop" features could just get a Mac.:D

Sure everyone could go to Mac. Just like the Mac vs PC ads. As if Mac weren't on OS 10. :D Just had to throw that in, Da devil made me do it.
BTW I have learned something in this thread that the Yellow & Blue buttons have been activated.

I like the screen that comes up when you pick a show to record. No explaining stuff to others in the family. They won't remember push it once, push it twice or whatever. They get the screen and it is plain English of what they are doing.

There's are really useful option this screen is missing. I run into this periodically, it's 6:55, the news is showing nothing but commercials, and I'm looking in the guide for 7:00. I see what I want to watch next and hit select. Up comes the recording screen. Now I have to back out and go to that channel. How about another timer option? In addition to autotune, record, etc, add one to 'just change to this station right now'. Many keystrokes saved and minor frustration avoided.

One button recording is not what it's cracked up to be.

There's are really useful option this screen is missing. I run into this periodically, it's 6:55, the news is showing nothing but commercials, and I'm looking in the guide for 7:00. I see what I want to watch next and hit select. Up comes the recording screen. Now I have to back out and go to that channel. How about another timer option? In addition to autotune, record, etc, add one to 'just change to this station right now'. Many keystrokes saved and minor frustration avoided.

How does the receiver know you want to go "right now"? For all the receiver knows, you are enjoying the show you're watching and just want to set a timer.

On the timer screen there are options for timer type; dvr, auto tune, and reminder. In that area, they could put the 'go to that channel right now' option. That's how it would know.

Keep in mind that Dish tried very hard--this was stated on several Charlie Chats and Tech Forums of the past when the DVR's were new--to make it as EASY or SIMPLE to operate for ALL customers. The vast majority of folks are not as tech savvy nor sharp with TV electronics as many on this board. All my family have a hard enough time dealing with the DVR's as they are now, and find it somewhat confusing even now.

Here is a likely scenario if Dish offered the option to tune to a channel from a program on the EPG that is next to air:

Customer--nice old lady: "Hey, what happened. I selected Oprah and its not on.

Dish: No dear, you selected to tune to the channel now ahead of when Oprah will start in about 10 minutes, so Oprah is not on yet, but it will be.

Cust: "Yes, but I selected to watch Oprah, and the thing said "to tune to channel now," and I did and it tuned to what should be Oprah but she's not on. Some other show is on instead with some bald guy with a moustache and Texas drawl. I just want to watch Oprah. If she is not on yet, it ought to at least let me set a timer for Oprah.

Dish: "Let me explain again . . ."

Cust: "Oh. I see. Well then, why isn't the guide display correct? When I selected to watch Oprah, another program was on instead."

Dish: "Well, let me think of how to explain this, AGAIN. OK, how about this analogy . . ."

Cust: Oh, I get it now. I see what you mean. OK, but that sure is confusing. Why do you guys do that. I have enough options as it is and I don't need one more that only serves to confuse me. You should design your equipment to be simple for people to use, plain folks like us, not computer wizards."

Dish: Well, you are correct, and I apologize for your experience with our equipment today. If there is nothing else.

Cust: No, thank you, and look, Oprah finally came on my TV, and it is 5 minutes later than the guide said because I selected Oprah and it wasn't on.

Dish: Well, no. You see---Never mind. Have a nice day, mam. I was glad to help you today. Thank you for choosing Dish Network.

Dish really does resist over complicating its DVR's to the pleasure of us techhies because Dish is the one who gets all the phone calls--and every call cost money for Dish-- for some of the most simple things that WE can handle, but the majority of America can't. People are not dumb; they just believe that TV should be simple because they have had a hard day at work and they just want to Oprah. Instead Dish is correctly focusing on more major features and enhancing more recent features like external HDD such as--one would hope--carrying over "My Groups" or some other enhancement to external HDD.

What are the red, green, yellow and blue buttons used for? Could they use one of them to do a quick record? Recently swapped from Directv, I understand what the OP is saying but I think the Dish system is pretty cool. Also I love having the autotune feature that the Direct DVR's did not do.

They were put there because they are now standard on Blue-Ray player remotes. When in DVR mode two of them are active at the moment.

Now if you want to a radical change to the UI look at the discusssion of the 922 beta.

I have now been a Dish customer for 2 years, before that I was with Direct for 10 years or so. I do miss the sharper picture of Direct and also the extra feature of their DVR's. I never had any problems with their DVR's and have not with Dish either.

I still miss the 1 button record and also the choice of 1 button delete. The Direct system did not take as many clicks to use. I don't know which is quicker to change channels, but do know Direct's DVR is a lot quicker to use.

Since Direct has many more customers and is not loosing any the way Dish is at a fast pace should tell us something.

Having said all that many are up in arms saying why don't you go back to Direct, well the fact of the matter is for my viewing choice Dish saves me close to $20 per month. If either one goes to a news type package that will be the one I will go to, too many channels in either one's packages that I don't use.

????
That option is there. You hit the select button on the channel you want to go to now, in the current time in the guide.

I would like to be able to set all defaults for new recordings. I always have to change the maximum number of recordings and to record only new episodes. My wife likes to record only single episodes.

My vote would be to allow us to set ALL timer parameters as custom defaults. Once you have done one, how hard is it to do the rest?

Getstuff4less is right. If the option was there, everyone has the option to ignore it. Those of us who want it could use it. Win-win for everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)