Let's petition DISH to change initial recording.

The DISH DVR user interface and menus work great for me, so don't change them. My fingers have finally memorized all the common keystrokes I need.

If I'd wanted D*TV's user interface, I would have purchased D*TV.

Having both DirecTV HR units and Dish Vip DVR's in my house, it is my personal opinion that Dish should in no way try to copy anything that DirecTV does when it comes to their DVR. Not unless they want to turn the worlds greatest DVR into a POS!
:up:up:up
I couldn't agree more, considering we all know the quality of DTV HD DVR. :eek:

Way to take a rejection of your idea and make it into no one wants anything to ever change...ever! :rolleyes:

Actually it is true that no one wants to change anything ever.

There was an election where two neighboring states both had propositions to change their auto insurance laws, and both states' voters were 2 to 1 against changing their law.

But, the two states had opposite laws - one had "no fault" and one had the opposite - and yet each state overwhelming voted not to change.

So, that showed that it was not the issue itself, it was that it was a change.

Hard to come up with a stronger proof of anything than that !

I was being sarcastic. I still say most people would rather press record once in the guide vs. selecting the show > scroll down to once > then right scroll to create timer > hit select.

Last edited:
2 reasons

I was being sarcastic. I still say most people would rather press record once in the guide vs. selecting the show > scroll down to once > then right scroll to create timer > hit select.

There are 2 reasons that I voted no on this suggestion. 1. I do like the way it is now but if there were a reliable faster way. 2. Since the remotes still have a bit of a problem with not reacting well lately there will be a lot of assigning the records incorrectly to once or new episodes.

Please, lets focus our energies at getting Dish to make the "new" episodes selection actually record new episodes only and not the repeats or old episodes. I spend a fair amount of time canceling timed events that are old episodes. I believe this priority would make the desired "record press twice like Direc TV" feature number 1009 on the list of 1009 desired new or improved features.

I know, but they could easily make it so you have fewer clicks. They could have an option that says something like: "classic recording" ON/OFF? That way everyone is happy.

Oh, please! What we really need is "fewer clicks" to access or turn on/off Closed Captions. OK, everyone, let's not get distracted from the real features or improvement that we really want.

We had this on the 7100 ("Ultimate TV 0.9") but this was one of the many features that didn't carry over. When Dish introduced their home-grown DVRs (or at least not co-branded -- see TiVo suit), the timers were based on their existing older receivers right down to the limit of 10. I'm guessing there was a copyright issue or just as likely an agreement with WebTV/Microsoft preventing Dish from using parts of the UI, so they just tweaked what they had.

Microsoft owned the software for that unit, and after how Microsoft barely provided support for Dish so that Dish could get 7100 bugs fixed for the subs, Chucky wanted nothing to do with Microsoft as a business partner anymore when Echostar developed its own DVR hardware and software.

I finally looked at this last night. When you go to a future event in the guide and hit select OR record, you get the same page... the one that asks if you want to DVR or autotune an event and "all", "new", or "one time" recordings. The default is "all". I'd like to know how many people here actually set up to record ALL episodes of a show? I'm guessing most just record new or one time. My proposal would simply be put new or once as the default, with the other as the 2nd choice and all as the third.

It's not that the page is difficult to read or hard to navigate, but shouldn't the default choice fit the majority?

It's not that the page is difficult to read or hard to navigate, but shouldn't the default choice fit the majority?
I agree. "All" is almost never the desired option, so takes a lot of button presses to get it to do what you want. Most people in my family are too lazy to do anything other than the default, so of course our disk fills up with unintended junk and important stuff gets deleted.

Agree also that "New" should only do new shows. But timers get set to "New" only if I set them that way ex post facto. So in my house this guide problem is less important.

I finally looked at this last night. When you go to a future event in the guide and hit select OR record, you get the same page... the one that asks if you want to DVR or autotune an event and "all", "new", or "one time" recordings. The default is "all". I'd like to know how many people here actually set up to record ALL episodes of a show? I'm guessing most just record new or one time. My proposal would simply be put new or once as the default, with the other as the 2nd choice and all as the third.

I could live this. That was the point of my original post. I hate the people saying get DirecTV (I'm not a fan boy). I just think DISH could improve certain things to save us time.

I agree with the original poster. Although the DVR's from the cable companies were rather unsophisticated in comparison to the Dish DVR's, one thing that I DO miss is the one-touch recording. Press record once on the guide, and a red dot appears beside the program showing that it's set to record. Press it twice, and you get series recording. Elegant in its siplicity! I would LOVE to see Dish do something similar.

I also agree that it would be nice to have the recording options screen not default to "ALL" for series recording. I don't know how many times I've seen the DVR's of my elderly and/or less-technically-savy relatives/friends filled up with 50 episodes of a single show, when they really just wanted to record a particular episode. C'mon Dish!

Our options are: All, All New and One Time. The default today is All. Let's say they changed that default to All New. Now, how many whines are we going to get because the default isn't set to One time?

Things are set up the way they are to force you to make a decision on your own......

What are the red, green, yellow and blue buttons used for? Could they use one of them to do a quick record? Recently swapped from Directv, I understand what the OP is saying but I think the Dish system is pretty cool. Also I love having the autotune feature that the Direct DVR's did not do.

The "yellow" button is for page up, and the "blue" is page down in the guide.

I'm not sure if the red and green are used for anything right now.

Yeah, the auto-tune I find very convenient. That way you never miss a future event that way.

Last edited:
Our options are: All, All New and One Time. The default today is All. Let's say they changed that default to All New. Now, how many whines are we going to get because the default isn't set to One time?
In theory, if Dish did some kind of study/sample, they find out what the majority of people choose and THAT'S the default.

Things are set up the way they are to force you to make a decision on your own......
First, you're not forced to make a decision. Second, if you changed the default to once or new, how is that keeping people from making a decision? You could still change it to "all".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)