Let's petition DISH to change initial recording.

Making "new" the default for series might be nice, but I like the way it is now. I want to have the option of just an episode or all episodes ready and waiting.

Why not press something like record a third time for the rare times one wants more options? I still think the default should be press record once to record the rest of a show or twice to record all NEW episodes in the series. The rare times you want to change the options press record again.

Why not press something like record a third time for the rare times one wants more options? I still think the default should be press record once to record the rest of a show or twice to record all NEW episodes in the series. The rare times you want to change the options press record again.
WHATEVER:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Am I the only one that watches most shows in chronological order?

The biggest pain with Dish DVR's for me is that we can't sort in reverse chronolocal order, with the oldest shows at the top of the list. Hitting the "9" button brings me to the bottom but having it sort automagically would be nicer.

Yes, the best business strategy is to keep you DVR the way it is. Do not try to improve it, no innovation.

Let the competition catch up and surpass you.

Yes, that is definately the way to go.

As a long time Dish customer / DVR user, I generally like the Dish interface. But I agree that it does not make sense to have the default setting as record all episodes. I would guess that 90-percent of users select either record once or record new episodes - or that's what they would select if they even understand what they are doing. A co-worker recently got Dish for the first time and told me she didn't know why a show she only intended to record once was now recording every episode. For users like her (and I suspect there are a lot of them) I think it should default to "record once."

I personally like the way it is but, I would be okay with them adding a simpler user selectable option.

Something similar to how the guide button can simply cycle your various options or pull up the selection box depending on your preference.

I really worry about all you guys that get upset cause you have to push a remote button an extra few times.. Don't know how you would have existed in my old days when you actually had to get out of your chair to turn the knob on the TV.

We had this on the 7100 ("Ultimate TV 0.9") but this was one of the many features that didn't carry over. When Dish introduced their home-grown DVRs (or at least not co-branded -- see TiVo suit), the timers were based on their existing older receivers right down to the limit of 10. I'm guessing there was a copyright issue or just as likely an agreement with WebTV/Microsoft preventing Dish from using parts of the UI, so they just tweaked what they had.

Same here

Am I the only one that watches most shows in chronological order?

The biggest pain with Dish DVR's for me is that we can't sort in reverse chronolocal order, with the oldest shows at the top of the list. Hitting the "9" button brings me to the bottom but having it sort automagically would be nicer.

I'm that way also and like your idea here as well.

I've never used a DirecTV DVR or have had their service. So you are saying if I go to the guide and press select once it will record a show once and if I press it twice it will record that show and all new episodes in the series? I don't know why you guys don't like the idea. It reduces a click or two. It's not like we are taking anything away...

Get a Logitech Harmony One and you can program any button to do anything including emulating your beloved Direct TV receiver.

Gosh, you guys are touchy.

Who cares if D* does it now or not - if it's a good idea, it's a good idea, if it's not (or there's already another way to do it), just say so.

Saying "Dish is perfect, I'd never change a thing, especially if DirecTV does it" is myopic (I could use a different word, but I'm trying to be nice).

Some of us are capable of seeing two different ways of doing things and trying to pull the best practices from each.

Having both DirecTV HR units and Dish Vip DVR's in my house, it is my personal opinion that Dish should in no way try to copy anything that DirecTV does when it comes to their DVR. Not unless they want to turn the worlds greatest DVR into a POS!

I have both systems...The one thing I love most about dish is their VIP series..
622\722- State of the art units.

While direc does add some neat features on their machines..they are way behind.

I would think that direc should examine dishes dvrs and copy them asap.

Direc dvrs are behind the times. I only have direc for sports..

Its time for a needed interface\ facelift for direcs dvrs..

They are painfully slow.

I have both systems...The one thing I love most about dish is their VIP series..
622\722- State of the art units.

While direc does add some neat features on their machines..they are way behind.

I would think that direc should examine dishes dvrs and copy them asap.

Direc dvrs are behind the times. I only have direc for sports..

Its time for a needed interface\ facelift for direcs dvrs..

They are painfully slow.

I completely agree, which is one of the main reasons I just switched to Dish. That being said, though, that doesn't mean there aren't any features that Dish could "learn" from the other guys...

I like the screen that comes up when you pick a show to record. No explaining stuff to others in the family. They won't remember push it once, push it twice or whatever. They get the screen and it is plain English of what they are doing.

Making "new" the default for series might be nice, but I like the way it is now. I want to have the option of just an episode or all episodes ready and waiting.

You mean the "awesome, Best ever", DISH DVR can't change the default settings for series recordings?

Damn, even the "clunky" D* DVR's can.

You mean the "awesome, Best ever", DISH DVR can't change the default settings for series recordings?

Damn, even the "clunky" D* DVR's can.
I know who cares if it's on DirecTV. So an advanced screen is easier than press record once to record once or twice to record all new shows in the series, OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)