Letter to charley

DishSubLA said:
To get a personal response, you need to ask more personal questions that relate to running a sucessful business. For example:

Q: Considering all the current problems, what can you say to someone who feels like Dish is declining and may want to subscribe to your competitors?

Q: In times like these with court loss after court loss and what seems to be a dissapponting quarter, as the founder and CEO of Echostar, what personal experience has given you what it taks to get though these corprate troubles?

Q: Your current challenges seem, to the view of customers and the general public, to cloud the future of Dish Network. What is your vision of Dish Network in the near future, and, especially your future as CEO? Is selling Dish Network (Echostar) out of the question at this point?

Excellent points here. Assuming you get any kind of response at all, a letter of this type will likely get you a more personal response from Charlie than the original draft you submitted here.

jayn_j said:
These are all great comments. The first thing that hit me was the focus on Nagravision. All of the other points addressed issues that affected you, the customer. The encryption issue only affects you if you are a pirate, or if you are a stockholder and are concerned with lost revenue.

I would either remove that point, or at least isolate it in a different paragraph. If you leave it in, try to relate how it affects you personally.
Well i did add in the fact that we the customers are paying for something that never works that kinda pisses me off. thank you all again... i have taken a lot of ur sugestions (infact i copied and pasted them, but i thank u all DAMN ME AND MY PLAGURISM) thank u "DishSubLA" for the ending. and im posting the newest verison... thank you all again.
August 25, 2006

CEO Charlie W. Ergen
C/O Echostar Communications
9601 S. Meridian Blvd
Englewood CO, 80112

Dear Mr. Charlie W. Ergen:

I have been a Echostar customer since 1997 and love the service that you provide to me. At this time you give great programming packages and solid equipment at a relatively low rate. I dropped cable television (still have high speed internet) and have never looked back, until now.

I am worried about the direction Dish Network is headed. There are many new and reoccurring issues that are hurting the company, such as the Tivo lawsuit, loss of distant locals, upgrades and other services that comes with MPEG4, and finally the almost non existsance of encryption on your broadcast.

I and many others feel that you have taken a golden opportunity to fix many issues and have chosen not to. This damages faith in you and Dish Network. I feel that MPEG4 was your chance to change the encryption (from Nagravision, which was hacked before the rom cards even got to the customers) to something that was worth all the money that we (the customers) end up paying for. You have not done this. With the issue of Tivo, I too feel you are not in violation of patents but apparently the courts do. At this time our DVR boxes might be turned off and have to pay Tivo nearly ninety million dollars. In this situation I feel that you (Echostar Communications) should buy out Tivo. This would ensure that our service isn’t interrupted and you still end up making money.

Your current challenges seem, to the view of customers and the general public, to cloud the future of Dish Network. What is your vision of Dish Network in the near future, and, especially your future as CEO? Is selling Dish Network (Echostar) out of the question at this point? I thank you again for the service you provide my family and I but if these issues are not fixed our relationship might be ended.

Sincerely,

name
address

sould i put a coma "," in here?
if these issues are not fixed our relationship might be ended.
to make it
if these issues are not fixed, our relationship might be ended.

Last edited:
DAMN ME AND MY PLAGURISM
I'm afraid your spelling may get you first. :D "plagiarism"

I see you're keeping your opening statement, but omitted reference to your age. Have you considered that simple math is not the only basic fact check that could lead to questioning the motivation of the rest of your letter? (Hint: you're sending the letter to the holder of your subscriber records which will be seen when they log receipt of your letter.)

reoccurring --> recurring
Tivo --> TiVo
non existsance --> non-existence
I thank you again for the service you provide my family and I
Here you've used the subjective "I" as part of the object of "provide." The objective "me" is still correct even though "family and" has been added in front of it. A simple rule of thumb is to remove whatever has been paired with "I" or "me" and use whatever is correct in the remaining sentence.
Objective example: "Billy and me went to the store." Unless you would say "Me went to the store" that makes the correct sentence "Billy and I went to the store."

Subjective example: "Rick went to the store with Billy and I." Unless you would say "Rick went to the store with I" that makes the correct sentence "Rick went to the store with Billy and me."​
I would suggest putting 2 commas (coma is a serious medical condition) surrounding the phrase, mainly to break up the long sentence:
... my family and me but, if these issues are not fixed, our relationship might be ended.

BobaBird said:
I'm afraid your spelling may get you first. :D "plagiarism"

I see you're keeping your opening statement, but omitted reference to your age. Have you considered that simple math is not the only basic fact check that could lead to questioning the motivation of the rest of your letter? (Hint: you're sending the letter to the holder of your subscriber records which will be seen when they log receipt of your letter.)

reoccurring --> recurring
Tivo --> TiVo
non existsance --> non-existenceHere you've used the subjective "I" as part of the object of "provide." The objective "me" is still correct even though "family and" has been added in front of it. A simple rule of thumb is to remove whatever has been paired with "I" or "me" and use whatever is correct in the remaining sentence.
Objective example: "Billy and me went to the store." Unless you would say "Me went to the store" that makes the correct sentence "Billy and I went to the store."

Subjective example: "Rick went to the store with Billy and I." Unless you would say "Rick went to the store with I" that makes the correct sentence "Rick went to the store with Billy and me."​
I would suggest putting 2 commas (coma is a serious medical condition) surrounding the phrase, mainly to break up the long sentence:

thank you for ur suggestions, but well... time killed them... i was out of the house for school at 7am soo i missed them... but please write your own to him... thank everyone again.. and im sure this will disappear to the end of the threads Lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)