LG BH100 (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) - Avoid!

RobbinM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Well, I was warned.

I got my shiny new LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD player today. It plays DVD and Blu-ray great. But HD-DVD? I'm shocked at the minimal support provided! I knew it didn't support HDi but I didn't realize that would mean no disc provided menus at all.

For HD-DVD the player generates a menu system which basically provides an unlabeled index to the disc. And that's it. If you want to see a "making of" documentary, you have to start clicking through the title index looking for it. Director's commentary? Start clicking through the audio index to see if you can find it. Chapters provide a time code only. No text or images.

Anyone want a good deal on one? I know of a BestBuy that should have an open box special on the BH100 tomorrow morning. Fortunately it appears that they are going to refund my full price, including shipping.

I gave it a shot. No harm done. I wonder if they are going to add HDi support at some point?

It would be nice if they provided and update with full HD DVD support. I would not be surprised if they did in the future, how else could they really sell this machine.

So how did it do as a $1300 BR player? Atleast as good as the Sony, I hope.

Yes, you were warned. :) Good thing Best Buy has a good return policy.

-John

It would be nice if they provided and update with full HD DVD support. I would not be surprised if they did in the future, how else could they really sell this machine.
I've heard no plans to update this to support HD DVD. Instead LG is coming out with a new model in the summer time frame that should fully support both BR and HD. Not sure if this is all just some bogus internet rumor, tho.

-John

Gee, just a month ago most every HD-DVD supporter was saying this was the product that was going to sink BluRay. I posted that this unit would not support any menus on the HD-DVD disc and some of you guys tryed to paste me to the wall. Guess this is NOT the product that is going to push HD-DVD over the top. Maybe that new 18-wheeler from M$ will do the trick.:)

Gee, just a month ago most every HD-DVD supporter was saying this was the product that was going to sink BluRay. I posted that this unit would not support any menus on the HD-DVD disc and some of you guys tryed to paste me to the wall. Guess this is NOT the product that is going to push HD-DVD over the top. Maybe that new 18-wheeler from M$ will do the trick.:)

Well, thanks for posting the info. I'm sorry I didn't see it before buying. Actually this could be more of an HD-DVD killer -- if available in both, an owner would buy Blu-ray.

So how did it do as a $1300 BR player? Atleast as good as the Sony, I hope.

Yes, you were warned. :) Good thing Best Buy has a good return policy.

-John

The unit played the one Blu-Ray title that I have. The output looked good but I never did figure out how to get it to output 1080p to my Sony KDS-R70XBR2. The option was always grayed out. I was using HDMI and the set does support 1080p.

Beyond that I didn't play with it that much.

I'm going to replace it with the (relatively) cheap Samsung Blu-Ray player and wait out the "war" with my two low end boxes (The other being the Toshiba HD-A1).