LG to continue to support HD DVD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ok, does it really matter at this point? They will continue to offer players....if no one is going to be releasing discs in that format, I have to ask...Why?

Edit: last post deleted for stupidity. lol

Just posted as info. In some other threads people indicated they would rather see dual format. i won't be buying one ans i guess you won't either but some might care.

Just posted as info. In some other threads people indicated they would rather see dual format. i won't be buying one ans i guess you won't either but some might care.
No, I wont, since I already have an HD-DVD player and a blu-ray player. I wouldnt see the point. I would imagine a a dual format is more expensive than a single player. Since most HD-DVD supporters already have a HD-DVD player to play the discs that they own, wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy a blu-ray player when and if they decide to? Dual format made sense a few months ago, not so much now. IMO anyway.

Now keeping support for the players already out I can understand.

LG has got to sell their dual-format players but my guess is that the HD-DVD supporting studios will probably just let their HD-DVD titles sell out. They are not going to be spending money on a dead format when they have a entirely new consumer base to go after. LG is probably hoping to get those customers who have a HD-DVD library and want to be able to move to BD seemlessly. If that is their game play -- they need to drop their combo players in half!

Translation of LG announcement: We've got a warehouse full of these things and need to dump them quick!

LG has got to sell their dual-format players but my guess is that the HD-DVD supporting studios will probably just let their HD-DVD titles sell out. They are not going to be spending money on a dead format when they have a entirely new consumer base to go after. LG is probably hoping to get those customers who have a HD-DVD library and want to be able to move to BD seemlessly. If that is their game play -- they need to drop their combo players in half!

Probably doesn't cost that much more. Most of the parts are needed anyway. And some of the licenses needed are the same (they don't need to pay double for DTS, Dolby etc.). Software cost probably a bit higher.

If it continues to sell they will probably continue to make them. Obvious if sales go way down, they will just stop production and sell out what they have made.

JoeSP, glad to see you stopped hiding behind your paper bag.

Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products. What does this mean? that they will still send out firmware updates? maybe that is why LG continues

Yeah it would make more sense and be cheaper for me to add a Blu-Ray player and a cheap HDMI switch to each setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)