LG's 2nd Gen Dual Format Player (Bah Humbug)

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Are they lunatics?

Why are you gonna pay $999 for a buggy multi format player when you can buy two very reliable single format players for MUCH less?

Are they lunatics?

Why are you gonna pay $999 for a buggy multi format player when you can buy two very reliable single format players for MUCH less?

Show me where you can buy a profile 2.0 Blu-Ray player that's NOT a PS3 for less than $1k. :cool:

Show me where you can buy a profile 2.0 Blu-Ray player that's NOT a PS3 for less than $1k. :cool:

You said it, PS3.

Its one of the fastest players out there and I have no issues with it.

I'd take my ps3 and A2 for the $700 I spent before I bought the LG.

I can't comment on the quality of the products, but there are at least 2 reasons that some people would pay a little bit more for a dual-format player than 2 single-format players--space and convenience. If you don't have space for 2 players, a dual-format player might be attractive. If you don't want to have to think about which player to put a disc into, a dual-format player might again be attractive. Now it's a question of how much more attractive. I have to agree that 50% more seems excessive, especially compared to products that are already pretty expensive.

I'm all for dual-format players...I've said it before, my first dedicated set-top will be a dual, and hopefully it will burn one of the formats to boot (like the PC drives LG has released).

PC World - GGW-H20L Review

The OP is correct, though. Until its a real value proposition where you actually get dual format capability for less than 2 separate set-tops, though, its not going to take off. Just like DVD recorders which had to go multi-format support but NOT at a x2 premium to sell, this will be the case w/ hi-def players.

And as I suggested above--I can see more value is a dual-format player/recorder than all of the above...its time we got w/ the HD archiving program here in the States, rather than being milked for 3-4 generations of hardware before we're blessed w/ recording on disc like we were w/ DVD. If they can manufacture a PC dual-format player/recorder and sell it for $400 (and make a profit on that), then we shouldn't be expected to wait for a sub-$1K set-top for 2-3 more years, should we?

I...its time we got w/ the HD archiving program here in the States, rather than being milked for 3-4 generations of hardware before we're blessed w/ recording on disc like we were w/ DVD. If they can manufacture a PC dual-format player/recorder and sell it for $400 (and make a profit on that), then we shouldn't be expected to wait for a sub-$1K set-top for 2-3 more years, should we?

DITTO/AGREE!

It would be nice to have affordable optical recording options, being it HD or BD.

But the way "HD archiving" is treated in North America it has hardly a market:
- nextgen hidef DVDs will legally never be allowed to be "archived", unless managed copy has such a provision;
- every other hidef source doesn't need anything above a regular DL DVD after being properly compressed (VC-1 or AVC).

Considering how new the HD/BD technology is, I don't think we will approach cost per GB of regular DVDs for years to come.

Diogen.