? lifeline charge for cable for networks-

goldengoose

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
In tech chat Charlie referred to lifeline from cable companies as being required by FCC- should be minimal charge he said around $10 for just networks from cable.

Our cable has a basic pkg but its $40

anyone know what rule he was referring to-- might be a partial solution for the loss of distants for some.

In tech chat Charlie referred to lifeline from cable companies as being required by FCC- should be minimal charge he said around $10 for just networks from cable.

Our cable has a basic pkg but its $40

anyone know what rule he was referring to-- might be a partial solution for the loss of distants for some.

Not sure of the exact term, but my cable company , adelphia/Time warner offers a basic package of "Broadcast" Locals for $7 a month. It actually includes the big 4, PBS, a couple of canadien channels , and depending on the type of filter/trap used, some other analogs that sneak by the trap

Yep, we had a package like that with our cable company before Dish offered our locals. They installed a trap that gave us like the networks, PBS, a couple of local independant stations and like four shopping channels for $9.99/month. The funny thing was when the buried cable run to our house shorted out from water and they replaced it - they forgot to replace the trap, so then we were getting all of the basic analog cable channels for $9.99/month. :)

As usual, Chucky did NOT tell you the whole story... :rolleyes:

Cable co. that are above a certain threshold of size, or in a competitive market condition, are NOT subject to these rules & do NOT have to offer any "lifelife" type of service. I know this for a fact because we have a cable co. outside of Springfield, run by a private "rinky-dink company", that serves ONLY 5 small towns, & they have NEVER, EVER offered a "broadcast basic" in their lives & refuse to do so. (hmm, considering we have only had locals available on DBS for only the past couple years, you wonder why???) They don't even know how to spell HD or DVR, either. (or have it available)

They now even went one better starting earlier this year - they will NO longer allow a customer to purchase cable modem ONLY service at any price. If you want it, you gotta take $40+ of expanded basic cable, too. Again, considering the bulk of locations in these towns will NEVER see DSL service as a competitor, what a surprise. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OTOH, Insight here offers a lifeline tier for about $13 & gives you 22 channels - if you have an HD set w/a QAM tuner, you ALSO get ALL the HD locals we have (6 right now) along with The Tube, a local station's doppler radar, PBS Create & a PBS station from Charleston being added as an SD digital channel next week.

Last edited:
our local cable (now Commycast...was Time Warner) has lifeline for about 12 bucks

all the Minneapolis locals
TBS & WGN, QVC, C-Span, CNN and the public access channels

You usually have to call the cable company and specifically ask for it. TWC, for example, has little or NO mention of it on their website. When I got DirecTV years ago, but had no locals, I called TWC and said I want to downgrade to basic cable (just to get locals). The girl told me, "Okay, you want to downgrade to our standard cable. That's $36.99/mo. Is that right, sir ??".

"No, I want the cheaper one,", I replied.

"Sir, that's our standard level of service," she came back with.

"No, I want the absolute basic package, with only my local channels, PBS, and the public access channels," I insisted.

"Oh, oh, I understand. You want our limited tier," she finally gave in to.

Call them. Tell them you want the package for around $10 or so. Insist on it. They really don't want you to get it obviously.

comcast's "basic"

I have E, also kept Comcast's Basic package for $16 per month,get locals,pbs,govt. channel,NECN, a few others (like 22 channels) It's true alot of times when you mention basic they set you up with their extended basic for $45 per month,a bout 70 analog channels

In Cincinnati (Time Warner) they call it "Lifeline". It is $12. The package inccludes local channels (4 nets + 4 PBS [Cin, KY, Oxford, Dayton all with unique schedules] + MyTV) + CW + WGN, "i" Network (with a hell of a lot more programming than Dish has on it) CSPAN, CSPAN 2, E!, 6 access channels [3 public, 1 govmt, 1 educational and yes they always have interesting stuff on them that is not a bulletin board], EWTN, TBN, Weather Radar (channel 9.2), HSN and QVC.

See ya
Tony

Here in the Chattanooga, Comcast actually charges less for limited Basic TV + Internet then internet buy its self. Here limited basic cost anywhere from $7.70 - $9.80/mo depending on weather you live in the cities off Chattanooga, Collegedale, Soddy Daisy, Red Bank or the unincorporated parts of Hamilton county, for 12 channels (8 local channels, QVC, TBS, WGN, government and education channel).

In Cincinnati (Time Warner) they call it "Lifeline". It is $12. The package inccludes local channels (4 nets + 4 PBS [Cin, KY, Oxford, Dayton all with unique schedules] + MyTV) + CW + WGN, "i" Network (with a hell of a lot more programming than Dish has on it) CSPAN, CSPAN 2, E!, 6 access channels [3 public, 1 govmt, 1 educational and yes they always have interesting stuff on them that is not a bulletin board], EWTN, TBN, Weather Radar (channel 9.2), HSN and QVC.

See ya
Tony

Yup, we had "lifeline" service from Time Warner way back in the day when you had to use an "A/B Switch" to get all of the channels they offered :) I love Cincinnati. Of course, it was just called "Warner Communications" back then, and if you sneezed too loud, the cable went out for a few days...

Warner_logo.gif

Last edited:
As usual, Chucky did NOT tell you the whole story... :rolleyes:

...They don't even know how to spell HD or DVR, either. (or have it available)

They now even went one better starting earlier this year - they will NO longer allow a customer to purchase cable modem...

Wow atleast your cable co figured out cable modem...

The cable co that passes my house has basicly two service levels... either you get it all for $70.00+ per month (by all... all they offer is analog no settop box)

Or you can opt not to get their service...

Good thing for Great Choices like E* and D*.:hatsoff:

:mad: No luck here-- called and tried to ask for lower tier-- they say they dont have it here.

Only one cable company in a not so small market-- 70,000 plus -- no locals from Direct or Dish allowed so they gotta love the injunction.

Nice to see competition in its finest form

Star Choice Canadian is looking better and better.

All previous companies that owned the cable outlet here (Adelphia, etc) which is now owned by Time Warner said you MUST get their basic package in order to get the locals, no lifeline available, so it was $30 or nothing. 20 some channels thats it. I am not sure if Time Warner would offer only the locals or not though since they bought out the Adelphia here. Being out in the country and not many people out here wouldn't they have been required to offer it all along?

You REALLY havew to try to get the lifeline service some times. Many CSRs are completely oblivious and the cable cos do not care that the CSRs don't know about this package. All cable cos above the size mentioned in a previous post MUST have a lifelise tier by FCC regs.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)