Like your PS3?

69Mustang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
I am just warming up to the idea of getting a PS3 for the Blue Ray movie playback for me, gaming for my sons (they already have xbox360). I have a good hd widescreen lcd, theater surround sound so a really good picture (1080P) via hdmi and optical digital sound (5.1 for now) is important. I have a few Q's so some help would be appreciated.

How is the movie playback? I heard it loads quick. Noisy??

From what I hear you can surf the web. Does it? And does it browse well?

No backwards ps2 game play on the 80gig right? Any PS3 version that can play older games?

Netflix online playback?

How would you rate the PS3? 1 out of 10. 10 is best.

Thanks.

I'm a dual 360 owner myself. Thought about getting the second one a PS3, but just couldn't bring myself to do so. I can upconvert a lot of "streamed" movies from my hard drive to the 360 on a 73" tv and it looks just fine. Plus much cheaper than going out and buying a $30 movie each and every time. Is it as clear as a BR, no. Is it $1000 cheaper, yes...

I am just warming up to the idea of getting a PS3 for the Blue Ray movie playback for me, gaming for my sons (they already have xbox360). I have a good hd widescreen lcd, theater surround sound so a really good picture (1080P) via hdmi and optical digital sound (5.1 for now) is important. I have a few Q's so some help would be appreciated.

How is the movie playback? I heard it loads quick. Noisy?? Haven't watched DVD's yet on it, but apparently from what I've read it's very good as an upconverting DVD player. Media streams to it quite well as well.

From what I hear you can surf the web. Does it? And does it browse well? Yes it browses, but sometimes it feels like a slow IE3 browsing with it. For example, using YouTube on it I have found to be insufferably difficult at times.

No backwards ps2 game play on the 80gig right? Any PS3 version that can play older games? The opposite. Odds are you can't buy a PS3 anymore that can play PS2 games. The last one that I know of that could was the 80 GB MGS4 bundle PS3. Unless you can find an old 80 GB bundle (That or Motorstorm) you're basically SOL in that category

Netflix online playback? No. Only Xbox 360 is primed for this in the NXE.

How would you rate the PS3? 1 out of 10. 10 is best. 7. More expensive than 360 and the PSN is insufferably slow (for me anyways) but the new exclusives and easier upgradablity for storage & BD Playback are very nice.

Thanks.
You're welcome

BD playback and upconverting I find are quite good. My TV screen is too small to take advantage of the Internet browsing, though the few times I've tried it, it was a bit cumbersome (mostly learning their different nav system).

It does stream Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and others if you pay $30 for PlayOn software by MediaMall. I used their beta with mixed results and haven't bought in yet. Unfortunately it won't ever do HD.

I'm a big fan of PS3's exclusives, though it's my first real game machine, so I don't have any basis for comparison.

Bottom line, for $399 to get a BD player, next gen game system, media server, Internet browser and more, it's a no brainer. (though the fan can be a bit noisy, but at least I know it won't overheat like another game system)

I actually bought mine for BD purposes mainly. I'm also a Metar Gear fan so MGS4 is already on my collection and I'm planning to get Resistance FOM 2 at the end of the year, becasue I'm busy with the X360. There's 2-X360, 1-Ps3 and 1-Wii in my house.

Regaring online playing the Xbox is way ahead, I know I have to pay $50 a year but I get what I pay for...

I bought mine mainly for BD playback. I already have a pair of 360s. IMO, the entire gaming experience is much better on the 360. I do like a couple of PS3 exclusives. ( MLB the Show and Little Big Planet ) I watched a couple of dvds. Upconverting is very good. Unit is also very quiet. As yourbeliefs stated, the PSN network is *very slow, when compared to M$ network. I haven't gamed online on the PS3, so I can't comment on that. I'll say one thing. If the 360 ever comes out with a BluRay add-on or one built in, I would seriously consider selling my PS3 for a 3rd 360. Only time will tell if Sony's Home will make the gaming experience better. I don't think it'll come close to match what the new Xbox 360 dashboard will offer.

I only online game with my PS3. Very seldom do I play SP as I am very addicted to Battlefield BC and other FPS. I cannot wait for MAG (256 player online Shooter Sony is developing). I have a 5 meg cable connection and never had a speed/lag issue when it comes to game play. That being said, content download (firmware updates, game updates) on the Playstation Network is insufferably slow at times. This was not always the case, so I think it probably has to do with available bandwidth on the network, which could be upgraded at some point in the near future as users grow, especially with the upcoming release of Home, so I would not let this be a dealkiller.

As for Netflix, Zookster is right, you can use Playon to stream. The 360 just got this ability without a media server direct from Netflix, so I would bet that the PS3 is not far behind.

The internet browser works, but it is not always the most user friendly experience. Sony just added the new version of FlashPlayer, so you can now watch youtube and other streaming flash content over it. I assume the browser will be improved in an upcoming firmware. I like the fact that new fuctionality and fixes are released on a every couple of months basis. Can be a pain to download the new version every 2 months, but I have never been sorry I did it.

As for Backward Compatibility, I think the MSG4 bundle was the last way to get BC. All new 80g+ units do not have it, which leads me to believe the rumors floating around that BC can be obtained by software emulation delivered via a firmware upgrade may have some merit, and that it might be coming down the pipe for all units. I could be wrong, but that is my gut.

Blu-Ray playback is flawless and I have never had an issue. I have played regular DVDs and video quality is significantly improved with the PS3 upconversion.

I would give it a strong 9. I have no major complaints, and the few issues and gripes I had have been addressed via firmware upgrades.

One small difference between the 360 and the PS3, is that MS limits the size of DLC and patches for its games to 200 meg, Sony does not, which allows developers to offer larger, more complex add-ons to titles. This typically does not matter for ported titles, but can be a plus for platform exclusive titles. It will never be apples to apples, but if there is a PS3 exclusive title you really like, the unlimited patch size could be a positive.

For gaming 5-7 out of 10.

Reasons: Price, availability, and the games. You have a 360 in the household, so the games you can only get are lopped into less than half of what's available since any of those you want you probably already have for the 360. Availability... I am the only one of a circle of a dozen friends with a PS3. If you don't have many/any friends with a PS3, it makes it hard to justify the last point... price. Depending on how you weigh each of those, you get your score, but compared to the 360, this tops out at a 7 or so thanks to the polish the 360 has over the PS3.

If you want backwards compatibility, you have to buy it used, since they removed that feature to encourage people to buy more PS3 games.

It's value as a Blu-Ray player is diminishing with Sony adamant about holding the prices as-is (they are likely already not going to make a profit on it this year like they had announced) since there are BD players in the 175 range available via various deals now and around/through Black Friday.

Zookster said:
(though the fan can be a bit noisy, but at least I know it won't overheat like another game system)

You had a good post till this backhanded comment, really not necessary in an otherwise objective thread.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I thought of something when I saw "Sony just added the new version of FlashPlayer, so you can now watch youtube and other streaming flash content over it." Has anyone been able to get Pandora to work on the PS3?

As for Backward Compatibility, I think the MSG4 bundle was the last way to get BC. All new 80g+ units do not have it, which leads me to believe the rumors floating around that BC can be obtained by software emulation delivered via a firmware upgrade may have some merit, and that it might be coming down the pipe for all units. I could be wrong, but that is my gut.
I wish this was the case, but they said they'd have to go through and do backward compatibility title by title, and that it wouldn't be worth the investment to do so :(

Blu-Ray playback is flawless and I have never had an issue. I have played regular DVDs and video quality is significantly improved with the PS3 upconversion.
Ditto, Blu-Ray rocks in general if you are ok with the media prices, if you have the setup, find a way to get it... PS3 or otherwise.

I would give it a strong 9. I have no major complaints, and the few issues and gripes I had have been addressed via firmware upgrades.
Do you have a 360? In a multi-console home, I'm not sure how a PS3 would rate that high other than for hardcore MGS/LBP/exclusive players, what do you think?

One small difference between the 360 and the PS3, is that MS limits the size of DLC and patches for its games to 200 meg, Sony does not, which allows developers to offer larger, more complex add-ons to titles.
Guessing you don't actually have a 360 then, the only size limit was on Live Arcade games, which was like 150mb or something.. there have since been almost 300mb Live arcade games. I also believe one of the add on packs for GRAW was over 1gb... there is no limit on patch/DLC size....

I'll be home in 3-4 hours and it will be the first time i ever open the PS3 browser... to try and play Pandora.com :)

Will probably show it to my wife too though... she routinely catches up on shows like Supernatural via the network websites.

Updating the browser is probably one of the biggest additions outside of trophies since launch IMO... don't use it myself, but recognize it as being a potentially big deal given the various options it brings... now they need to bring (or at least announce the coming of) Netflix support.

I love my PS3! and EVERY game for my PS2 I've tried has played in it - WORKS! I've just had to adjust my controller settings! ha! imagine that!

I've never tried an xbox so I can't compare.

I do, however, have a wii. I do love my wii too, but there is no comparison. Esp, when it comes to online gaming.

I've not had ANY problems watching movies or streaming them f/my puter to my PS3.

:) I was debating which to get - an xbox or a PS3 and I went with the Ps3 because of the blue ray.

Hope this helps :)

I'm going to go knock on wood now!

... now they need to bring (or at least announce the coming of) Netflix support.

I hope an impending announcement is the reason MediaMall shortened the Beta time frame and started making us pay...then again, it could be due to the 360's launch next week of Netflix streaming.

Like others I also originally got mine for Blu-Ray playback and it does a good job. I also stream video to it via DLNA from my desktop upstairs. I'm not a huge gamer, though I do like RTS and some RPG (both of which really are lacking on some consoles though if I had a 360, I'd probably get Fable2.) Little Big Planet is a lot of fun and as I had posted in another thread a good couple (and even family) type game. Graphics are really good, however seems many of the games I tried are 720p vs 1080p. When I had my 34" HD Ready CRT it only supported 1080i or 480p so the 720P games looked bad when it scaled to 480p (not sure why it wouldn't go to 1080i.) Now that I got the Samsung LCD that can do 720P, they definitely look better. It's not so much a fault of Sony, however figured worth noting as many ads push the 1080p feature of it. Don't get me wrong there are 1080p games and they look great, but seems the games I always want to play aren't. Not sure about Fallout 3, but that's next on my list to try after Little Big Planet.

I like the USB and Btooth capabilities. I hooked up a cheap btooth headset I got off Woot and it paired easier than my cell phone. Also the ability to use it for browsing and use a btooth mouse are also a nice plus. It also works well with my rev 1 PSP I got a couple years back when I was doing more travel for work. The built in Wifi is useless for me and I wish I could figure out how to turn it completely off. I thought I had, but it still shows up. :rolleyes:

The Playstation network as others have mentioned can be really sluggish. Though I was suprised over the weekend as I was pulling down updates very very quickly (I was getting 16mb/s downloads), which I have never seen during peak times. Maybe a fluke or maybe they are listening to the bandwidth gripes. All my buddies have 360s, so unfortunately can't play online games with them as I don't have one. However now that we are all married and some with kids, not much time for that anymore anyways. :)

-Mike

I just bought one this weekend at Walmart. $399 - $100 Walmart Gift Card for $299.

Unfortunately, I had to turn around and get on a plane to go to Seattle for meetings, so I haven't opened the box yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts