LiL means?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sigmtr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Central IL
Sorry, but I'm a little behind in the acronyms since I bounce in and out of these forums. (Recently joined the Pub, though!)

I know it means local channels, but what happened to DMA (Designated Market Area IIRC)? And why is the "i" lowercase?

TIA for the answer.

sigmtr

It's the way that cool people say "local". :D

I've been around these forums for a while, and I've seen the definition of LiL explained a few times, but I've still never understood why people are so keen on using it. Maybe somebody else can elaborate.

I wasn't sure what it meant so I just looked in the glossary at the top of this page. :)
FWIW the glossary link at the top of the page is "broken" for some standards compliant web browsers (e.g. FireFox). The link has an embedded extra space that has to be ignored.

Talon Dancer

It's the way that cool people say "local". :D

I've been around these forums for a while, and I've seen the definition of LiL explained a few times, but I've still never understood why people are so keen on using it. Maybe somebody else can elaborate.

To differentiate from OTA Locals. LiL=satellite, OTA=antenna

LiL is really a remnant from the time that it was ILLEGAL (unlawful) for satellite companies to provide broadcast channels to the DMA they served due to convoluted copyright restrictions and lack of a uniform vehicle for retransmission consent agreements.

Strangely enough, satellite companies could provide local channels into DIFFERENT local markets quite easily (though in a underhanded way). So you could get what many people called "distant locals", but not your own.

Dish Network basically started breaking the law (sort of) in 1998 when they started providing broadcast channels into their local markets via satellite-- or local channel into local markets (LiL).

The LiL term stuck and is still used today to differentiate local channels via satellite, versus distant network channels [service] (DNS) or over the air (OTA) local channels

It wasn't untill mid 1999 that it actually became "legal" for satellite companies to provide local channels to their own DMAs. Or LiL for short.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)