Status
Please reply by conversation.

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
For a few days I was trying to get signals from Satmex 113W, without any luck. A few transponders seem to send limited info, on vertical polarization. However, no reception on horizontal. I realize that Toronto is close to fringe of this sat's beam, but - Geosat Pro showed S/Q 90/70, so, what's wrong? More info on pictures. Cheers, polgyver
IMG_0111.JPGIMG_0106.JPGIMG_0107.JPGIMG_0108.JPGIMG_0109.JPGIMG_0110.JPG

Out of curiosity; are you using circular polarization? Don't know what the transponder requires but was curious as to the tp's when they say " left and right ".

I'm about an hour east of the other end of Lake Ontario and just discovered I could get this sat a couple of weeks ago. Not a lot there - mostly scrambled - but coming in fine here. I suspect your dish is a tad small for fringe reception.

Out of curiosity; are you using circular polarization? Don't know what the transponder requires but was curious as to the tp's when they say " left and right ".
The LNBF is PLL GEOSAT pro, SL1, linear polarization, LO 10750. The options on the screen are given by micro-HD.

I'm about an hour east of the other end of Lake Ontario and just discovered I could get this sat a couple of weeks ago. Not a lot there - mostly scrambled - but coming in fine here. I suspect your dish is a tad small for fringe reception.
So you are even more East than Toronto. What size of dish you use? Mine is almost 30" wide. Today I re-directed it to SES1, 101W, re-scanned with micro HD, pulled in Pentagon, Trwam and BVN, with SQ 90-70. The last two stations - allegedly - are active on Satmex 6, as they are to leave SES1 at the end of November, but I can not find them there. How big dish should I use to get them? Cheers, p

BVN advised people on the fringe areas to get a larger dish for reception from 113W. I would recommend no smaller than 1 meter, 1.2m if you can find one. with a high quality LNBF

BVN advised people on the fringe areas to get a larger dish for reception from 113W. I would recommend no smaller than 1 meter, 1.2m if you can find one. with a high quality LNBF
This is useful suggestion, however, it puzzles me why on my present dish, Seesat, some transponders come in with S/Q 90/70 (all of them, vertical) and other transponders 45/0. In fact, my question should be : is anybody (in Ontario area) able to receive transponder #14 from this sat, Satmex6, where frequency is 12080 Mhz and Signal Rate is 25635? If yes, what are the S/Q values? Cheers, polgyver

Transponder power is varied by need vs cost. Being able to get one transponder doesn't mean you get them all unfortunately. That transponder with BVN is way weaker than what you were looking at on 101W. 113W is my due south sat and one of the weakest ones for me just south of the Canadian border. I only know two people who watch BVN on 113W and both are using a 3M C-Band dish with a C/Ku LNB.

So you are even more East than Toronto. What size of dish you use? Mine is almost 30" wide. Today I re-directed it to SES1, 101W, re-scanned with micro HD, pulled in Pentagon, Trwam and BVN, with SQ 90-70. The last two stations - allegedly - are active on Satmex 6, as they are to leave SES1 at the end of November, but I can not find them there. How big dish should I use to get them? Cheers, p
My dish is 90cm (36") Fortec Star. And I am getting BVN and TRWAM.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)