Limiting telemarketing calls to cell

some custom roms have this function built in while apps like callfilter have worked great for me and it's free.

I'll look in to callfilter, thank you.

Too bad I can't multi quote on iPhone.

Most cell phones have a feature where you can send calls from a specific number directly to voice mail without it ringing my phone or just block the number all together. I can get to this feature either though the contacts section or on the call log. I have an HTC One-s

I just store the numbers and create a custom ring tone that is silent.

Now if I can figure out how to disable the missed call tone on my cell it would make my day

indeed. On my phone the contact name is 'Ignore this idiot' and so far contains about a dozen numbers.

indeed. On my phone the contact name is 'Ignore this idiot' and so far contains about a dozen numbers.

I would probably be a little more creative with my unwanted callers' contact name: "Friggin' Codheads" or "Sh!theads" --
It's just a personal therapy thing to call invasive idiots such names:D

By the way, my teenage son got his first smartphone recently and has been plagued by a particular unwanted caller. Apparently, his phone number belonged to a person with debt issues. We tried a couple of the apps that block such calls and both apps worked well except for one issue - even in silent mode, his phone emits a beep upon hang-up or ending a call. While his high school allows students to bring phones, they MUST NOT be heard (or seen) during class. So, the audible "hang-up" beep (which is a trait of these apps) would not work for him at school.

Eric

Last edited:
Do not move calls to Voice mail. If you get lots of telemarketing calls, it can add up fast and then you will have to waste much time deleting those from your VM box.

I have been using the no ring tone, "ignore" option for all numbers from repeated calls I see on my recent caller list. This doesn't work for absent number, however. In my contacts, I have T1, T2, T3, contact names, each contact has many allowed numbers that are treated the same, like home, business, fax, etc. I just assign any of the nuisance calls to one of those options until the contact is full, then move to the next. That helps keep the number of contacts and file size small.

Recently, I have seen a large number of new telemarketing calls go to VM and some leave a message, to call back and some just say nothing but register as a VM. I reduced this nuisance somewhat with a rather rude message that starts with,

Hello, If you are a telemarketer, do not ever call this number again, remove me from your list, now hang up. If you are still listening, I will never call you back. If you think this doesn't apply to you, go ahead, make my day, and see if you live to regret ever bothering me with your nuisance call. All others, if I know you, you know the drill.

This has actually cut my VM telemarketing messages to only 1 last week. Since I am no longer in business and retired, I think that gives me the right to be a cranky old curmudgeon. Callers beware! :)

I tried another one just for fun but it didn't stop a few morons from punching in a random set of numbers. It went like this.

Hello, If you are a telemarketer, authorized to speak to me, please enter your 7 digit pin now. It amazed me how many of these morons actually entered seven numbers and then thought I was now on the other end ready to talk to them.

My daughter used to work for a company as a telemarketer when she was in college and she tells me my VM's are actually entertaining and break the monotony of the job.

The only other thing that works good for me is that I use the voicemail system at work instead of my cell phone voice mail. I setup a no ansewer transfer, and then use a toll free number as my forwarding number to send calls to.

Advantages...

#1 There is a 1/2 second of silence and an extra 2 rings when the call transfers to my office voice mail. Most robocallers see this as a no ansewer so therefore they never leave me a message and hang up.

#2 Since I use a toll free number to forward to, blocked caller ID's are automatically unblocked when they go to voice mail.

#3 All my voice mails are sent to my email, and are transcribed and typed out so I do not have to listen to them anymore.

As far as collection agencys, what I find works best sometimes is picking up the phone and saying "Hi this is david" or some other fictious name. Then when they ask for you, just say you got this phone a few weeks ago and have been getting alot of calls for that person and hopefully they will take you off their list.

I've been getting calls on my cellphone, too. They claim I responded to some online inquiry. But I am retired and not interested. Each time they call I tell them to remove my phone number from their list, and each time they say they will. They use different phone numbers to call, but the pitch is the same.

But if you're not familiar with how you block a phone number on your mobile device, you can simply refer them to your telephone service provider. They can do it for you. And at the same time, I suggest you report the caller's phone number to http://www.callercenter.com for phone call harassment.

I've been getting calls on my cellphone, too. They claim I responded to some online inquiry. But I am retired and not interested. Each time they call I tell them to remove my phone number from their list, and each time they say they will. They use different phone numbers to call, but the pitch is the same.

The problem with scam artists is that they do not follow the law/rules. They do not care if you are on a no call list. They get internet phone lines all over the US and rotate calls from them so that you cannot block them because they will use a new number next time. By the time the Feds move to shut down the lines they have already switched to a new set of phone lines. They are probably off shore so there is no way to stop them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)