Limits problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
For years I have installed several C Band systems with good results.
Now, I may be losing my touch. This problem deal with the actuators I have and the 4DTV receivers (both 920 and 922).
I mentioned this recently in one of the threads. One of you suggested I may need to use a bigger actuator. I have been using a 18" Superjack. The problem was I can get all the western satellites up to GB. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to track all the Clark belt.
So I came across a 24" Pro Brand Ball Screw Superjack actuator. Big and heavy and I figured "Great! This would work out great!"

WRONG

After installing this actuator, it was doing the same thing the other one was doing.
I MR the 922 and when I set the limits the same problem happens. I can set the west limit, but when I go for the east limit, it would have the "physical limit reached" (or something like that). I can get from C4 up to G4 okay but not to GB or beyond.
I tried loosing up the clamp and sliding the actuator in and out. I would get the eastern satellites but loose the western most satellites.
I begin to wonder if there is something within the 4DTV receivers settings not set right, as far as the east limits is concern.
I took pictures of my setup at the dish. Maybe one of you will see what the problem may be. I think the limits on the 24" actuator can be set mechanically or
by receiver. You will see a picture of the motor with the cover off to give you details of the reed switch system.
I live in Mississippi, so the actuator is on the right side of the dish, as seen from the back of the dish.

Attachments

• Photo0013.jpg
    Photo0013.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 157
  • Photo0011.jpg
    Photo0011.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Photo0012.jpg
    Photo0012.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 162
I think you might have a problem with where the arm is mounted on the dish because it is right behind dish when it gets over to the east it is very hard to get it to stop on a satellite, I put a bar at a right angle to the mount to mount the arm on which gives you a lot more control on the east side and extends your reach.
The bar is about 6 inches long but make sure the bar is welded or will not move at all as it will make stopping on satellite almost impossible if it has any movement. I looked through my dish pictures to see if I have one of my dish from back but didn't.

Last edited:
Found a picture of my father in-laws dish which I put up you can see what I am talking about on his dish just a bar fairly thick coming off the back of the dish at a right angle then mount your arm on the end of the new bar.

Attachments

• DSC02784.jpg
    DSC02784.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC02783.jpg
    DSC02783.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 143
Here is a picture of mine as I was saying I found when the mount is directly behind dish when you get over to the far east the arm is pulling straight back against the pivot point which can sometimes cause the motor to give you an error also as tvropro says make sure your physical limit is adjusted right but for better control on the east side I found this modification a great asset you will note on mine I did not get it welded so I had to but another brace to make sure it did not move as any movement makes it hard to keep it hitting the right sats consistently.

Attachments

• DSC01051.jpg
    DSC01051.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC01048.jpg
    DSC01048.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC01049.jpg
    DSC01049.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC01047.jpg
    DSC01047.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 133
Thank you Tvro for those pictures. I will give them consideration.
Tvropro, on my first picture of the actuator, can you tell me about what is needed to adjust the physical limit? Or, is there a site that may show me more detail on setting the physical limits?
I surely don't want to screw up on this.
Thanks.

I marked some stuff on your photo. You need to see what actuates the limit switch when the arm reaches that point and set it for more or less travel of the arm.

Attachments

• Photo0013.jpg
    Photo0013.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 200
Thank you so much, Tvropro! When you said for me to see what actuate the arm when it get to that point, what exactly will I be looking for? I am dumb on this, please bear with me!

Success!!! I studied the picture and the actual actuator and found that on the white thing there is a screw that adjust the rod that stop the actuator when it rest on the switch button. I moved the rod up some, moved the dish to far east (end of the Clark Belt and moved the rod until it rest on the reed switch.
Thank you sooo much, Tvropro!
With your permission, I would like to do a PDF for those who got a actuator like mine and submit it for the Satelliteguys. I will give you credit for helping me.
I had searched the internet for instructions but no luck.

Success!!! I studied the picture and the actual actuator and found that on the white thing there is a screw that adjust the rod that stop the actuator when it rest on the switch button. I moved the rod up some, moved the dish to far east (end of the Clark Belt and moved the rod until it rest on the reed switch.
Thank you sooo much, Tvropro!
With your permission, I would like to do a PDF for those who got a actuator like mine and submit it for the Satelliteguys. I will give you credit for helping me.
I had searched the internet for instructions but no luck.

Glad you got it going. Once you figure it out it's a pretty simple operation. I've been in the big dish game a long time (23 years) and learned quite a bit during that time. Glad to pass some of my knowledge on. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts