LIN Signs Agreement with DISH

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Silvia2112

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
wtf - I hope this kicks directv in the nuts and gets them moving....

Dish Network Corp. (DISH) reached an agreement with Lin TV Corp. (TVL) for the retransmission of Lin TV's broadcast stations in standard and high definition.

Dish, an Englewood, Colo., a satellite-television provider, said the deal covers television stations owned and operated by Lin TV spanning 17 U.S. markets.

Dish also reached a marketing and promotional agreement with Lin TV to encourage consumers to switch to Dish Network if Lin TV's local station signal is removed from a cable system.

Under the terms of the agreement, the companies will work jointly to market Lin TV's availability on Dish Network.

Shares of Dish Network closed up Wednesday 34 cents, or 1.2%, at $28.

WTF is right. DirecTV needs to get something worked out soon. My FOX affliate is owned by LIN. If I can't watch my packers in HD next season without an ota, I don't know what will happen.

I hope that something happens with this. I recently signed up with Directv and our CBS station is a LIN station and isn't carried. I hope they can come to an agreement before Colts start back up. I'll be really irked if there is much of a hold up with this. Come on Directv and LIN work out a deal!

I get Austin locals so I am out KXAN (and don't they own the CW too?) - anyway, it sure would be nice to get NBC. When the office and ER get back to new shows it would be nice to record them in HD. When I switched to D from E I thought I was getting all of my locals in HD... I was unaware that LIN was holding-out. I hope the deal with DISH will light a fire under DirectTV.

Mat

yeah I have been writing e-mails to LIN and WTNH (my local ABC that is owned by LIN) And have talked with DirecTV --- only response has been canned answers...

I saw that DISH now does cary LIN channels which I thought was kind of funny in how Charlie seems "cheap" when wanting to pay for channels. :)

I am keeping my fingers crossed that now with Liberty calling the shots we will all get our locals in HD.

I get Austin locals so I am out KXAN (and don't they own the CW too?) - anyway, it sure would be nice to get NBC. When the office and ER get back to new shows it would be nice to record them in HD. When I switched to D from E I thought I was getting all of my locals in HD... I was unaware that LIN was holding-out. I hope the deal with DISH will light a fire under DirectTV.

Mat

Just a FYI - the locals tool on the website should have pointed that fact out; all the ones I have checked for friends & family were dead on in not listing affiliates that were not yet online.

oh dear GOD no, directv is missing 31 local channels!!!

Aren't we up by more than that as far as national HD channels go? I'm sorry to say it, but this is not a blowout for dish. We still have way more HD locals than they do, especially now that DTV11 is close to being in functioning order.

oh dear GOD no, directv is missing 31 local channels!!!

Aren't we up by more than that as far as national HD channels go? I'm sorry to say it, but this is not a blowout for dish. We still have way more HD locals than they do, especially now that DTV11 is close to being in functioning order.

Both dish and directv lack woefully behind most cable and broadband providers in terms of hd locals, but this agreement with LIN gives dish a major key they need to compete.

And we are ALL still awaiting your promised info on this for 20 days now. When is it being posted? You last told us it would be up by the 17th of March.

Both dish and directv lack woefully behind most cable and broadband providers in terms of hd locals, but this agreement with LIN gives dish a major key they need to compete.

????

I don't know of ANY cable company that has locals across the entire US.

That would be really interesting to see a cable co. that could do that as D* is working on doing.

Jimbo

I will be interested to revisit this post in six months or so.

????

I don't know of ANY cable company that has locals across the entire US.

That would be really interesting to see a cable co. that could do that as D* is working on doing.

Jimbo

That's entirely irrelevant when you are a customer making a decision where hd local availibility makes a big difference.

About as relevant as the fact that cable does NOT provide service everywhere in the country. Where I live, cable is not an option and probably won't be for at least 5-15 years.

You mean there are no tv providers at all in your area? Im sorry if that's the case, but last I read, that was only about 5 percent of the mainland american population. There are far more cases of directvs competitors in local markets providing more hd locals than directv than directv being the only option at all.

You mean there are no tv providers at all in your area? Im sorry if that's the case, but last I read, that was only about 5 percent of the mainland american population. There are far more cases of directvs competitors in local markets providing more hd locals than directv than directv being the only option at all.

About half of the community where I live can get cable. They stopped running line and have no immediate plans to connect to the rest of the community so we're satellite only with OTA on 1 channel.

Stop yapping about this and post the facts as you said you would already.

I too am in an area with no cable. I've very happy to have two sat companies to choose from.

Did anyone read into this LIN agreement.

I find it very facisinating.

LIN stations will advertise the Echostar digital conversion equipment, and give the E* number on their local PSAs to use your conversion coupons from the government.

In exchange, E* paid a premium (assuming) for the local LIN stations in HD. There is also a provision that if LIN has a dispute with a local cable company (imagine that - LIN in a dispute) they would advertise on their station to call Dish with a special switch number.

That's a pretty slick cross-marketing agreement. Even if Dish paid more than they do for other locals - which I'm sure they did, they may make up for it in hardware sales and potential new customers over the term of the agreement from local disputes.

Not sure how it will impact DirecTV's ability to come to an agreement, but I don't think it will help.

HAHAHAHAHAHA 5% HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA whew!!!!!! I have entire towns in my area that are not served by cable .....5% hahahahahaha

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)