Lin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Silvia2112

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I read a while back that LIN was looking into selling some of their stations. Has anyone heard any news of them selling WTNH - New Haven? Coming from Comcast - it is frustrating to not have all the locals in HD. How is that a cheap-ass company like Comcast can come to an agreement with LIN? Does anyone know how these discussions are going? Does DTV actually contact them on a regular basis? Is there any hope at all that they will ever come to an agreement? They are only losing out since my family won't watch the SD feed.

I read a while back that LIN was looking into selling some of their stations. Has anyone heard any news of them selling WTNH - New Haven? Coming from Comcast - it is frustrating to not have all the locals in HD. How is that a cheap-ass company like Comcast can come to an agreement with LIN? Does anyone know how these discussions are going? Does DTV actually contact them on a regular basis? Is there any hope at all that they will ever come to an agreement? They are only losing out since my family won't watch the SD feed.
LOL. I dont have any HDLIL and I am in DMA 43. Lin as negotiated with both Cable and FIOS here. Are you so sure is LIN's fault? Why cant D* come to terms with them when everyone else can?

LOL. I dont have any HDLIL and I am in DMA 43. Lin as negotiated with both Cable and FIOS here. Are you so sure is LIN's fault? Why cant D* come to terms with them when everyone else can?

Everyone else HASN"T. That's the whole point! Comcast and Cox carry LIN stations in hd. Virtually no other cable companies do. You posted that FIOS has them. That's about it nationally. Hardly everyone.

Raoul can attest to the fact that WTNH is a very unfriendly when it comes to HD service. Not only do they not provide HD Service to D*, but their picture quality is average at best, and they don't provide syndicated programs in HD. I'm getting a little annoyed at them not showing Jeopardy and Wheel in HD. Luckily the signal is easy to get OTA, and also it helps that ABC has little to nothing to watch on a daily basis (to me anyways.)

Raoul can attest to the fact that WTNH is a very unfriendly when it comes to HD service. Not only do they not provide HD Service to D*, but their picture quality is average at best, and they don't provide syndicated programs in HD. I'm getting a little annoyed at them not showing Jeopardy and Wheel in HD. Luckily the signal is easy to get OTA, and also it helps that ABC has little to nothing to watch on a daily basis (to me anyways.)

Yup, I agree!

Before launching the Tuscon HD locals, D* offered HD locals in 64 DMAs. Since they are focusing mainly on the big 4 networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC), that's a possible 264 stations. D* has come to terms with 243 of them. Of the 13 they haven't come to terms with, 9 of them are LIN owned. I think it's pretty clear that D* has proven they are capable of being reasonable with stations.

Before launching the Tuscon HD locals, D* offered HD locals in 64 DMAs. Since they are focusing mainly on the big 4 networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC), that's a possible 264 stations. D* has come to terms with 243 of them. Of the 13 they haven't come to terms with, 9 of them are LIN owned. I think it's pretty clear that D* has proven they are capable of being reasonable with stations.

It's Vurbano that can't be reasoned with! :eek:

I tried calling LIN TV and got no response. I called my FOX affiliate, WLUK, which is owned by LIN TV and talked with the Vice President. He said they are very close into signing the deal with DirecTV. He said they already signed with Dish to provide their digital signal and the deal should be reached by the end of the first quarter in 2008 for DirecTV customers.

What is the deal? Dish doesn’t even offer our local channels in HD yet here in Green Bay, WI. DirecTV began offering my local channels in September 2006. How does LIN TV and Dish reach an agreement before DirecTV when we have been waiting for so long already?

I suggest everyone who is getting the shaft by LIN TV call the Public Relations department (401-457-9501) and demand they get digital coverage to DirecTV customers. The gal’s name in Public Relations is Courtney Guertin and her email address is courtney.guertin@lintv.com if you prefer to email her. If you get a voicemail, leave a message stating how disappointed you are in LIN TV not providing their digital signal to DirecTV.

I don’t care who’s fault it is anymore. I’m tired of LIN TV and DirecTV each passing the buck on each other. Maybe if LIN TV gets bombarded with a ton of calls they will get their butt’s in gear.

I hope that they told you about D* is correct and it's a general agreement for D* and all LIN stations. FWIW a local LIN rep told me that D* and LIN were close to an agreement over 6 months ago, frankly I'll believe it when I see LIN ATSC stations lighting up the transponders.

NutFlush920 said:
He said they already signed with Dish to provide their digital signal and the deal should be reached by the end of the first quarter in 2008 for DirecTV customers.
I don't believe that Dish Network has a signed agreement with Dish Network. The LIN stations which are not on DirecTV are also not on Dish Network, in HD.

This should give the clearest picture, as LIN owns stations in these markets which are available on DirecTV:
Indianapolis CBS - Indianapolis unavailable on Dish Network
Hartford ABC - Hartford unavailable on Dish Network
Grand Rapids NBC - Grand Rapids unavailable on Dish Network
Albuquerque CBS - Albuquerque is available on Dish Network, but not CBS
Buffalo CBS - Buffalo unavailable on Dish Network
Providence CBS and FOX - Providence unavailable on Dish Network
Austin NBC - Austin unavailable on Dish Network

And just for giggles, Dish Network is missing the Tribune-owned stations, such as the FOX affiliates in Seattle and Sacramento, as well as the Clear Channel owned affiliates such as ABC in Salt Lake City and NBC in San Antonio.

In other words, Dish Network has problems that I can see with three major station groups, and DirecTV carries the other two. It is LIN that is giving both DirecTV and Dish Network problems.

I emailed LIN and in particular - Courtney. I got the same canned response back them that I did from WTNH. It wasn't even signed by her. I am sure we can swap emails and they are worded the same way. I work about 15 minutes from the headquarters and know I will end up there some day. Better chance of getting a real answer if they have to look you in the eye.

It is LIN. They are the greedy company. While in CT Cox finally put ABC HD on, they only did it six months ago. Cox could not reach agreement with them for 8 years.

I hate LIN TV. I leave a message every day now letting Courtney know how unpleased I am with them not letting DirecTV provide their channel.

"Immature" might be the only way to get the ball rolling. Reminds of a guy in my office - very annoying and no one likes him. He doesn't a decent job - but nothing extraoridinary. He keeps getting promoted because no one wants to deal with him so they promote him and let someone else deal with him. Same thing - eventually calling and emailing will prompt some sort of action. If it at least gets the two parties talking again - immature act worked!

Everyone else HASN"T. That's the whole point! Comcast and Cox carry LIN stations in hd. Virtually no other cable companies do. You posted that FIOS has them. That's about it nationally. Hardly everyone.

Insight and Brighthouse both have the LIN-owned station here in Indy, along with Comcast. Of course, it just happens to be the CBS station that carries the Colts, so they'd be getting killed if they didn't. Lucky for me I got my OTA set up or I probably would have eaten the early termination and gone back to cable, even with the 50+ HD's I get from D*.

I wonder, though, if those companies would have caved to LIN a few years ago, when the Colts weren't quite as hot a commodity as they are now...

I'm not trying to be childish by any means. I'm just trying to put the preasure on LIN TV. I think if more people were that comitted to fighting for something the believe in they would agree.

From what my LIN owned station, WLUK, told me, its all over a matter of roughly 5 cents a month per subscriber. LIN needs to let the 5 cents go. Hell, I'd be fine with paying the 5 cent difference.

My FOX station here has most of the Packer games and with our record, it sure sucks that I have no choice other than to watch it in SD or hook up an OTA.

Insight and Brighthouse both have the LIN-owned station here in Indy, along with Comcast. Of course, it just happens to be the CBS station that carries the Colts, so they'd be getting killed if they didn't. Lucky for me I got my OTA set up or I probably would have eaten the early termination and gone back to cable, even with the 50+ HD's I get from D*.

I wonder, though, if those companies would have caved to LIN a few years ago, when the Colts weren't quite as hot a commodity as they are now...

Good point! Here in CT the LIN stations are ABC and MY9. Not alot of support for them. It would be nice to have them, but no biggie for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)