Line amplifier?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I have a line coming in the house to the VS Platinum. It works fine in the front room with beautiful picture. I tried to move it up to the bedroom but it doesn't get any signal. I hooked the coax to the "in the house wall coax" that starts in the front room and winds up in the bedroom. I'm pretty sure it's the only two hook ups to that run of coax. It works fine when I use the "TV Out" of the Platinum. I'm guessing that the coax run is just to far and it loses enough power to not be able to run the Primestar LNB.
Is there a power amplifier or power inserter or something I can use to over come the coax length?

Maybe something like this?

Attachments

• Power inserter.jpg
    Power inserter.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 125
how long -is- it ?

I'm with RV1pop on this.
If you have the typical home splitters in the walls or attic, there is no amp nor inserter that'll cure the problem.
You need a new, clean, piece of RG6 to your receiver.
There isn't a work-around.

Now, you might find something interesting behind the wall plates, so it's worth looking.
You might find a broken cable or bad connection behind one of the plates, so it's worth a peek.
But if I understood your comments correctly, then maybe not.
(You put the channel 3 signal into the house cable and got it in the bedroom?)

Never trust electricians

It's frackin RG59 (even though I specified RG6) and when I pulled the face plate off, there was a splitter in the box! :mad:

I took out the splitter and figured out which lead went to the bedroom and hooked it up and it worked. Now I can have my Platinum in the bedroom.

In my new house I will have conduit up to a box in each room so I can change things whenever I want.

Oh well.

Thanks guys

Greg,

I would be a little nervous about powering a lnb over RG59. The center conductor is a little small for the current (~up to 500ma) and might burn off somewhere. If you could get some RG6 to the bedroom somehow..........

Well, I'm hoping that because the RG59 only goes a relatively short way and that I'm not doing any "switching" (H to V or other switches) that it will be able to work as long as I need it to. If I can just sell this acreage I can finish my house in NM and be able to use everything I've learned about satellite stuff in the last 10 years (or so) to wire the new house the way it should be.

Pulling new wire would be tough. It's a two story house and the existing coax runs all the way to the attic and over to the bedroom. I've never gone into the attic but I have looked up there and it's really deep with blow in insulation that would get squished if I walked around up there.

The other thing is that when I first looked at this coax I thought it was RG6. It's the same size and not that skinny stuff that I associate with RG59.

I have a line coming in the house to the VS Platinum. It works fine in the front room with beautiful picture. I tried to move it up to the bedroom but it doesn't get any signal. I hooked the coax to the "in the house wall coax" that starts in the front room and winds up in the bedroom. I'm pretty sure it's the only two hook ups to that run of coax. It works fine when I use the "TV Out" of the Platinum. I'm guessing that the coax run is just to far and it loses enough power to not be able to run the Primestar LNB.
Is there a power amplifier or power inserter or something I can use to over come the coax length?

The house wired for cable/or Ant. Is it to several rooms?
Then maybe it's a cable-splitter. Which sat rec's don't like.
symptoms like no signal at all, or only v or h tp's work.
seen that...

Check for a cable splitter,disconnect it,and connect a straight through barrel connector. and that short of feet is not to far at all.
If theres no splitter, then its could be the coax just isn't good enough for sat.

Glad you found the culprit :) About the RG-59, if your receiver in the other room is slaved, you could turn its LNB power off, if that is an option...

No slaves.
The cable just comes in the house from the dish and then hooks to the wall connector and only goes to the Master Bedroom. It worked last night and this morning just fine. Once I got that splitter out of the circuit it was good to go. The only thing I am really concerned about now is that I didn't have an RG59 compression type connector for my squisher, so it's got rather crappy connectors (2) on the run from the front room to the bedroom. I kind of doubt Rat Shack has compression connectors, but I'll look. Didn't really want to buy a bag of them as I'll never use them

Once people find out you know how to hook this stuff up, you will use both RG59 and RG6 connectors fixing problems at their houses, excellent for trading favors. I have repaired a lot of E* and D* systems for folks and traded for a lot of good stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)