Line Of Sight Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chaveznwo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
I am looking to get DirecTV at my new house. I have many trees and am wondering what are the degrees on the compass that I will need to have a line of sight. This is for an HD dish.I tried the dishpointer website, but it wasn't accurate with my address. Thanks for the help.

I tried the dishpointer website, but it wasn't accurate with my address.
What about DishPointer do you perceive as not being accurate?

Could Google Maps not find your address? (try your 9 digit ZIP if this the case)

Do you disagree with the azimuth or elevation numbers?

The current HD dish needs to see satellites at 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W and 119W.

Sorry guys. I am new to all this. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. When I put in my address, I could tell by looking at the map that it wasn't our house. Also, the image must be old because we have had trees cut down recently in our back yard. Basically, I want to take a compass outside and point it in the correct direction and see if there is a tree blocking the way. I just don't know which degree to point it.

Sorry guys. I am new to all this. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. When I put in my address, I could tell by looking at the map that it wasn't our house. Also, the image must be old because we have had trees cut down recently in our back yard. Basically, I want to take a compass outside and point it in the correct direction and see if there is a tree blocking the way. I just don't know which degree to point it.

Give us your zip code and someone can get your co-ordinates for you, I don't have the information here, but someone will.
This will give you the direction on the compass to point at.

Jimbo

Give us your zip code and someone can get your co-ordinates for you, I don't have the information here, but someone will.
This will give you the direction on the compass to point at.

Jimbo

Thank you very much.

Plugging your zip code into DishPointer as I recommended you do, I find that you need to be able to see from 204 to 232 magnetic with a minimum elevation of 38 degrees. Know that the azimuth and elevation typically don't change more than a tenth of a point or so within a zip code. Remember that the satellites are tens of thousands of miles away.

Plugging your zip code into DishPointer as I recommended you do, I find that you need to be able to see from 204 to 232 magnetic with a minimum elevation of 38 degrees. Know that the azimuth and elevation typically don't change more than a tenth of a point or so within a zip code. Remember that the satellites are tens of thousands of miles away.

Thank you very much for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)