Linear LNB skew/tilt/polarization

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

noffke3000

Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Ok, so I'm relatively new to satellites and have been tasked with writing a small PC app to calculate all the angles somebody would need to set up their dish. I've been able to find equations for Az and El and confirmed their accuracy but have been unable to find how to actually calculate the angle that the LNB needs to be tilted, skewed, or whatever you want to call it. I know there are a few sites that will calculate it for you, but the users of my app may not have the luxury of an internet connection and I need to be able to provide that functionality for them.

Short of learning spherical trigonometry, I've turned to forums to help answer my questions.

Can somebody fill me in on the equations that I can use to calculate this angle?

Thanks in advance!

Is this an exercise for school, or is there some other reason to re-invent the wheel? - ;)
Here is Satfinder, a Java application that's been around for quite some time.
I use it often to do my calculations, and it's stand-alone.

not for school. I'm writing an Windows App that does the following...
- walks the user through instructions on setting up the satellite modem and antenna, like a user's manual with pictures, definitions, etc
- in addition it also programs setup information based on location, the satellite, and frequencies into the modem through a serial port
- and lastly it also calculates all the angles needed to acquire or find the bird in the sky.

This is really my first foray into satellites, so it's been interesting for me to learn a little something about the technology.

Why have different tools to do this, when they'll pay me to create one?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)