Lip sync issues on PBS 125W Ch-3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rzg00

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
California
While watching the PBS Newshour this evening (with timeshift enabled) I noticed a lack of lipsync so I started to record the evidence.... Lips then appeared to synched with the audio! (though the program had shifted from the studio to live republican convention coverage).

I've noticed other lipsync issues on PBS (last nights Masterpiece mystery foe example) but its not universal - anyone else noticed this?

Next time this happens, what's the best way to determine if it's the source or the MicroHD that's suspect?

I have noticed this on one of of the test TVs connected with HDMI, but on other HDMI connected TVs the lip sync is exact. Often a feed might have sync issues than the studio is correct, not much can be done on the viewers side for this production issue. Some TVs have a lip sync adjustment for timing issues affecting all programming from a connected device, most do not. HDMI 1.3 can incorporate a lip sync handshake between devices, but it doesn't calibrate on a per channel basis.

We are investigating adding a menu function in the microHD for adjusting +/- lip sync delay. If the adjustment is made to compensate for one service, another will be off. There is no way to link this feature to the channel list.

I have noticed this on one of of the test TVs connected with HDMI, but on other HDMI connected TVs the lip sync is exact. Often a feed might have sync issues than the studio is correct, not much can be done on the viewers side for this production issue. Some TVs have a lip sync adjustment for timing issues affecting all programming from a connected device, most do not. HDMI 1.3 can incorporate a lip sync handshake between devices, but it doesn't calibrate on a per channel basis.

Unfortunately I'm still stuck in an analog world and connect to my TV via the AV breakout cable :-( if that makes any difference.

We are investigating adding a menu function in the microHD for adjusting +/- lip sync delay.
wowsers, you're into professional commercial receiver feature territory with that feature! I would like to see it implemented with the remote -- two buttons to represent (+ lip sync) and one with (- lip sync) -- and the user can fix the lip sync problem to taste on a temporary basis while losing the setting on the next sat or channel change since the lip sync issue was probably only temporary in nature.

wowsers, you're into professional commercial receiver feature territory with that feature! I would like to see it implemented with the remote -- two buttons to represent (+ lip sync) and one with (- lip sync) -- and the user can fix the lip sync problem to taste on a temporary basis while losing the setting on the next sat or channel change since the lip sync issue was probably only temporary in nature.

Yeah boy, if it's easy to operate it will get used.

I would like to emphasize that we are working on a solution. It may or may not be possible to implement.

When breaking new ground and going beyond the chipset design and SDK, we experience a lot of trial and error. What appears to be easy and only an On/Off trigger, often cascades into normal functions ceasing to function.

Thank you for your understanding!

Yeah boy, if it's easy to operate it will get used.

that's why I suggested some buttons on the remote instead of thru menu.

I find it a PITA on a menu system of a commercial receiver. Even if it's on the menu of the microHD, it wouldn't be as convenient as by remote but it wouldn't be too bad because the microHD menu doesn't have as many deep menu trees as a lot of commercial receivers.

I would like to emphasize that we are working on a solution. It may or may not be possible to implement.

When breaking new ground and going beyond the chipset design and SDK, we experience a lot of trial and error. What appears to be easy and only an On/Off trigger, often cascades into normal functions ceasing to function.

Thank you for your understanding!

Completely understand! It is just so nice to have someone that is as passionate about it as us "power" users are, to push the limits and at least try to see what kind of features can be added. :) .....and actually add them when possible.:eureka:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)