List Channels with English Subtitles here

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I thought I would start a thread where people could list FTA channels that are foreign language, but have English subtitles. It can be fun to look at other cultures - expecially if you know what they are talking about !

(BTW, for those reading this who aren't aware, Russia Today and Al Jazeera English are both news channels in English that are FTA on Galaxy 25. Al Jazeera is a channel run by people who used to work for the BBC, so it is very similar to that in both look and content.)

Okay, here is what I have found so far with English Subtitles:

MHZ Worldview - on Galaxy 25 - sort of an alternate PBS consisting mostly of programming from various foreign channels with English subtitles added.

KISB-003 - on Galaxy 25 - has SBS logo - I found this surfing because they were showing a soap opera about young professionals - the women were stunning, eg Miss World contender level (I imagine the young men were equivalent, but I'm not qualified to judge). Then subtitles appeared.

IRIB 2 - on Galaxy 25 - this is a Persian channel, and the dramas always have English subtitles

Ebru TV - on Galaxy 25 - this is actually dubbed into English. First there was Dutch Eredivisie Soccer highlights in English, and then some sort of drama dubbed into English. Seems to be Turkish...

Mhz also has allot of programming in English also (I watch this channel quite allot, they have some great movies).

ASC Flix & ASC extra (Bollywood movie channels), most of their movies are subtitled as well.

Check out the WUT section... Also, since you can find this on Lyngsat, I'll mention that there's some movies and stuff on 30w that's in Spanish most of the time, but on occassion will show up in English with Spanish subtitles.

Check out the WUT section...
I'm just referring to stable FTA channels such as found in Lyngsat.

I'm also just referring to English subtitled or English dubbed programming that was originally in foreign languages.

There are numerous English FTA channels of two types - Religious channels, and OTA Local channels - but I am not referring to those either.

Many of the foreign language channels on Galaxy 25 have (on occasion, or more frequently) English subtitles or dubbed, or sometimes English programming (usually movies) with foreign language subtitles (once saw Everybody Loves Raymond with Arabic subtitles).

When I see a channel with any English (dubbed/subtitles/etc.) I move the channel into my favourites list. I have about 40 such channels from Galaxy 25.

Off the top of my head, here are a couple of the channels that I recall having seen more than just the occasional English "additions":

TV ROMANIA - Romanian programming, English subtitles.

VTV-4 - Vietnamese programming, English subtitles.

Also, NTA and MRTV both are foreign channels mainly broadcast in English.

I'm glad we have some open minded individuals here.

I used to work at a video store , I found that most people hated subtitles.
I for one love them , have watched alot of foreign films that way, and much better than dubbed.

By the way a large percentage of people can't stand widescreen either , many would bypass a DVD for a Pan and Scan VHS.

My favorite subtitled FTA channel is Cubavision and Telerebelde when they show Hollywood movies, yeah there are a couple more on that Cuban Mux on Hispasat.

The forum is not responding correctly tonight , hopefully Scott is aware of this , New Topics not working , replies to post have to be refreshed so they will show up and when this is done , the main FTA page doesn not show the screen name for the last posting in reply.

Mhz also has allot of programming in English also (I watch this channel quite allot, they have some great movies).

ASC Flix & ASC extra (Bollywood movie channels), most of their movies are subtitled as well.
Unfortunately, ASC Flix & ASC Extra just went scrambled. :(

I'm glad we have some open minded individuals here.
I used to work at a video store , I found that most people hated subtitles.
I for one love them , have watched alot of foreign films that way, and much better than dubbed.

By the way a large percentage of people can't stand widescreen either , many would bypass a DVD for a Pan and Scan VHS.
Here in L.A., we have a lot of foreign language channels.
One of the most fun things I used to do, was watch a weekly drama in Japanese with English subtitles.
I even taped them. Generally about 11 one-hour shows per story.
Not quite mini-series, not quite soap-opera, not quite movie, but an interesting combination of all three. :)

Probably no more an accurate look into Japanese culture than Everybody Loves Raymond is for American lifestyle.
But still quite different, and still quite interesting.

More recently, I recorded a big Hollywood movie about the Cuban missile crisis.
I forget the title, but it had a top-notch cast.
Unfortunately, it was on a Spanish channel, and all I had was the (well) dubbed Spanish sound track.
I made a DVD out of it anyway, and gave a copy to a Colombian kid I know.
Her Mom just -loved- it!
The acting was first rate. The story was first rate, and the dubbing was first rate.

There are an amazing pool of cross-cultural things to learn and enjoy, if you just take the time to look.
...and you might even learn a foreign language from a cartoon or Sesame Street, if you're not careful. ;)
So, thanks for this informative thread.

As for wide-screen, I always buy in that format, when available.

I have tuned today to RTP Internacional for the soccer match (they show any major soccer match played in Portugal), and so noticed later that there was a documentary, and it has English subtitles. So, add RTPI to the list (on AMC4 and some other sats as well).

I wish MHz Worldview would be added to E* as a PI channel. Supposedly this was in the works at some point last year, but never happened. They are on D* as a PI channel, but only for D* International package customers, IIRC. (Or perhaps, anyone who has the right dish.)

I also agree that it's time for subtitled content to be made available more widely - it might even help us Americans pick up some other languages.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)